Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree

Rea

My friend was told by a fellow student today that the FD is only valid for 5 years and then you cant use it.

We both think this is daft but does anyone have any light to throw on it?

Haven't heard that...where does that leave us, does that mean we have to do something with it??

Use it or loose it! :oxD

If we do the third year are we cool then? :(

There is so many changes all the time it is a job too keep up...I also heard that you only need to have a level 2 to do the FD in September ...is that true?

And there is some campaign about not having to have a degree to do EYPS for those 'experienced' practitioners ...is that true?

They keep changing the goalposts - makes a mockery of all of us trying to play catch up and become graduate qualified!! (whoever they are?)

My friend was told by a fellow student today that the FD is only valid for 5 years and then you cant use it.

We both think this is daft but does anyone have any light to throw on it?

First I've heard of that Rea! Are the certificates printed in vanishing ink then - or do they self-destruct after five years? :o

I know most people are being targeted for EYPS as soon as they finish their Foundation Degree (or before, even!). But I can't see how qualifications can have an 'expiry' date.

I'd be inclined to ask this person where s/he has got the information from, and then check it. Probably just an urban myth....

Maz

I wonder if someone has their wires crossed, could it be that the FD will only be offered for another 5 years? EG my next course E115 with the OU - the last starting date is expected to be October 2011? Not that that is 5 years away. I could be barking up the wrong tree or just barking!

I wonder if someone has their wires crossed, could it be that the FD will only be offered for another 5 years? EG my next course E115 with the OU - the last starting date is expected to be October 2011? Not that that is 5 years away. I could be barking up the wrong tree or just barking!

I know there has been talk of introducing a new pathway to EYPS/Degree via a Level 3 - but I'm pretty sure the Foundation Degree will continue to be a pathway through to EYPS so I wouldn't have thought it has a 'sell by date' in the same way OU courses do.

As for barking, Deb if you start the song - I'll join in once I get the hang of the tune... :o

could they mean that after gaining the FD degree you then have 5 years to upgrade it to a full degree, if you choose not to you will always have the FD degree, however you wouldnt be able to use the credits from it towards a full degree with hons if the 5 years elapsed, I know this is the case the HND's you have a period of time in which to upgrade to a full degree.

Could this be what she means ? "From 1 January 2011 there will be a 9 years time limit introduced for the BA Early Years (unclassified) or the BA (Hons) Early Years degrees. This means that you will be required to have passed all the courses within 9 years of starting the first course." Which is basically what cupcake said that if you wish to "top up" to full degree you will have to do it within a set time.

Could this be what she means ? "From 1 January 2011 there will be a 9 years time limit introduced for the BA Early Years (unclassified) or the BA (Hons) Early Years degrees. This means that you will be required to have passed all the courses within 9 years of starting the first course." Which is basically what cupcake said that if you wish to "top up" to full degree you will have to do it within a set time.

So is this referring to OU Foundation Degrees, Marion?

I have heard something that is coming out in September that a new route is coming to EYP. I have to say I agree to it if the person has substantial experience. I just wish they would decide these things before we embarked on our degree courses. I have someone with 30 years quality experience of SENCO and Highscope yet is terrified of exams etc yet she is outstanding as a nursery nurse- why cant she achieve it?

I'm not sure whether this is just OU or will be all universities. I would be interested to know as my NN did her EYSEFD in the pilot year and intended topping it up this year (starting September) but has found out she is expecting a baby so is putting off for the time being. Obviously if there is a time limit it will have implications for her.

As for barking, Deb if you start the song - I'll join in once I get the hang of the tune... xD

Maz you're on! We all know the tune....'How much is that doggy in the window'......OOOHHHHHHWWW!! :o

Can you sing it backwards though?

"window the in doggy that is much how? tail waggly the with one the?

window the in doggy that is much how? sale for doggy's that hope do I!

Isn't it amazing the lengths I'll go to in order to avoid actually doing any work? Two hours now, and counting... :o

Maz - stay where you are, am sending some very nice men round in white coats to take you away from all this work!

I'm avoiding my assignment too, shall we play 'I spy'? :o

No I'm determined to achieve something today.....

Maz - stay where you are, am sending some very nice men round in white coats to take you away from all this work!

I'm avoiding my assignment too, shall we play 'I spy'? :o

No I'm determined to achieve something today.....

We're in danger of hijacking this thread, Deb. I'm going to lay down in my basket for a short while... xD

Back on topic - perhaps we need to get some 'official' views on whether our Foundation Degrees have an 'expiry' date for top up to BA. I shall ask my Uni and get back to you....

Maz

owww i like eye spy ......... :o

I spy with my little eye - something beginning with 'a'....

Here's the answer from my Uni.

"There is a 'shelf life' for FDs, but only in so far as progression goes. This shelf life would be different for each University and ours is 5 years. After 5 years, you would still have your FD, but may not be able to automatically "trade it in" by studying for Hons."

So that's clear then: academic for hali and I because obviously we'll get our Honours degree this year. xD I think the answer is that if you are considering having a break after your Foundation Degree, talk to your Uni to find out how long your degree's shelf life is.

No sign of disappearing ink anywhere then!

Maz

That might mean my NN's EYFD has reached the end of it's shelf life :o as far as doing her BA is concerned anyway.

It might do, Marion - but its worth talking to the University and see what their policy is and whether they make exemptions..

Maz

She was hoping to do her BA at a different university to where she did the FD which raised all sorts of problems then literally days after she submitted her application for September she discovered she was pregnant and it is five years since she did hers...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)