Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Support Do Childminders Want Regarding The Eyfs

My LEA want me to do a presentation regarding this very thing. It would be fantastic if I could receive info from childminders themselves rather than me specifying what I think YOU guys want.

So what support do you lovely people need to help implement the EYFS.

Looking forward to hearing from you. :o

XXAngieXX

Your rash Steve xD

Are you really :o

Oh my gosh you are an absolute marvel :(

I CAN'T wait :(

Did you get this research from Childminders themselves? And how did you collate it? Just curious

XXAngieXX

Hi Angie -

It's by Martine Horvath who wrote our last article on EYFS, and she has been talking to childminders as part of her role with her local authority. Hope it's useful and I'd be interested in your feedback. I'll post a link to it here when it's available. :o

We are having a drop in session at my preschool for PVI and childminders, so this will be an interesting article for me so I can get information etc together. Cheers Steve!!

PS Will pass on the FSF details to anyone who will listen!!

My biggest issue and one that I hear from fellow childminders in my area is how to record the information -the format etc How often observations should be made , how to make effective -non time consuming observations.

I know Im constantly observing the chldren. I recognise from training already done that I do deliver EYFS within my practice if I break everything down ,but apart from daily diaries to record day to day events i dont formally record developments etc as will be required.

A lot of my observations are in my head ,because I work with very small numbers of children I get to know them very well and automatically pick up on their skills and interests .

The other big concern is also how to "fit in " written observations etc bearing in mind we work alone with often three children under 5 years, often 10 or more hours a day(without breaks) and much as I do love my job I have a life outside of work too.

So help documenting EYFS would be very useful-I suppose knowing what Ofsted expect from us will help clarify this too -though I dont think they know themselves yet and they certainly have nt told us !!

Those are good points, Janice. There are some articles on how to observe and record, along with some templates etc. (in fact I seem to remember writing one myself back in the olden days...), but I think they need to be revamped for the EYFS. I'll have a hunt around to see what needs to be done.

In the meantime, here's a link to the article I rashly promised to publish - be interested in peoples' views. :o

Within our childminding group held once a week we support each other and we offer support to newly registered childminders.It can be very daunting for someone who has never worked within a childcare setting let alone learning about the eyfs.

some of us are involved in "infomation sharing" which the development officer is using to gather our ideas and records etc to share with everyone else.

The EYFS can be complecated as the wording is very complex aimed more at key1

I do know that there are going to be 2 more session from april which will break it down more and concentrate on how to use it and recording and assessing.

As with assessing and how much i personaly assess all the time not on adult planned activities.

i carry plain stickers and a pen the whole time and transfer it on the childs file in the evening this way you dont miss anything.

In the meantime, here's a link to the article I rashly promised to publish - be interested in peoples' views. :o

I'm not sure whether to post this here, or elsewhere, but since you asked for feedback...

I particularly liked the run through of the childminder's day and what struck me most was how much learning was going on in such everyday activities - a lesson I think we in pre-school groups could learn! Often we get so carried away with being clever, linking to whatever topic we're working on this term but here was a graphic description of how a childminder is delivering the EYFS by following children's interests and taking her lead from what they notice, and what they do.

Fab! I'm going to print it off and show to the staff at work - with the emphasis on working together I think this is an excellent example of how we can learn from each other...

Maz

Thanks to Martine Horvath and Steve for publishing a very interesting article. Martine's interpretation and connection to the EYFS was well written. The fact the childminder was meeting all areas of development throughout the course of the day must have given her/him? confidence in their abilities. I was astounded to learn more details in the NCMA website regarding the exact proposal to the increase in registration fees. However, it needs reminding it is a still a proposal at this stage.

Thank you Janice you've given me a lot of ideas and challenges that you are faced with.

Primarily it appears to be

1. The format of the observation

2. How often to record information

3. Knowing what Ofsted expect from Childminders

4. And how to fit it all in throughout the course of the day

Thank you for you reply Ray, it must be daunting if you are new to childminding or have not used the documents before, but it seems to me you are getting lots of support from a variety of sources.

Like HappyMaz, I too have printed it off and will share the good articles that this forum with everyone at work.

I am looking forward to hearing from any more childminders in regard to the forum topic

Angie

Thanks for the article, Steve - I thought it was very positive. At every EYFS training course and Network childminder meeting these very questions are raised - how to observe? how to record? how often? etc etc.

Lots of childminders still don't realise they're not being asked to do anything differently, other than sharing their knowledge of the children they care for.

I've bought the Active Learning book from the NCMA which points childminders in the right direction and

I've found loads of great tips & info on the forum and have adapted them for my own practice.

I've shared them with the Network co-ordinator who was going away to explore the forum herself (actually, I've not seen or heard from her since last week - she may still be here somewhere :o ) and I've e-mailed your article to them.

I WISH more childminders would use the forum and access the fantastic advice and resources available here - it would banish their fear so quickly. xD

Nona

Thanks for the feedback - very welcome! :o

Nona, to be fair to childminders, I think until recently we haven't felt that we provided enough expertise and resources for childminders, and therefore didn't want to bring them in on a false promise. But now that things are connecting up much more explicitly with the EYFS we're not so shy about ourselves!

In fact I think Wandsworth are sending out a mailshot to all their childminders and letting them specifically know about the FSF, so hopefully we'll begin to see many more active RCMs around.

In fact I think Wandsworth are sending out a mailshot to all their childminders and letting them specifically know about the FSF, so hopefully we'll begin to see many more active RCMs around.

Just to let you know which im sure your be pleased about cambridgeshire care and education,and our development worker all promote FSF ! thats how i knew about it.!!!!!!!! keep up the good work

Hi Ray -

In which case you shouldn't have had to pay (as Cambridgeshire is part of the LA scheme). Were you not aware of that? If you PM me I'll give you details on how to contact your advisers and subscribe under the Cambridgeshire scheme, and I can then re-fund your payment. :o

There's lots of great stuff on here already, Steve, but if you're going to add more especially for RCM's - YIPPEE! :o

Dudley have published details of the Forum in their last 2 Network Childminder newsletters but still people don't find their way here xD If they knew what they were missing.........

Nona

Hi Ray -

In which case you shouldn't have had to pay (as Cambridgeshire is part of the LA scheme). Were you not aware of that? If you PM me I'll give you details on how to contact your advisers and subscribe under the Cambridgeshire scheme, and I can then re-fund your payment. :o

hi we have had this dicussion i did email summers but no response as yet!

Sorry Ray, I should have remembered that - I seem to be sorting this out more often these days! :o

If you PM me your details (name and setting name and address) I'll sort it out with the Cambridgeshire admin people.

If you PM me your details (name and setting name and address) I'll sort it out with the Cambridgeshire admin people.

I'm seeing a shiny shell suit, large cigar and lots of bling...

Steve'll Fix It - 'ows about that then? :o

Hi

I'm doing the NVQ3 at present, using the new and old EYFS (for my funded children), and B23 on exsisting children and the new system on any new children coming into my setting since january, so that when my tutor is assessing me she can see I'm learning the new EYFS to; its all very complicated! :o

I have got to grips with the new EYFS but I'm in desparate need of some tracking sheets.

I've a real need for a system that can be used for all age groups as my old trackers are for 3/4years only. I've been told that I have to wait till June for these in my area.

I am concerned about the ever growing mountain of paper work expected and think it would be a good idea if the powers that be could set a universal way in which they wish it to be presented, the new EYFS does give choices in the way evidence is presented but I've already had different people tell me their own prefered way; which in turn adds to confusion.

I am going on some NCA local training on saturday but have been told it will be very basic showing how to observer, which I feel will not be enough information; but as the workshop has to be able to be understood by all childminders especailly those who are not networked or accredited and have never done any form of record keeping; which of course I do understand.

Hi

I'm doing the NVQ3 at present, using the new and old EYFS (for my funded children), and B23 on exsisting children and the new system on any new children coming into my setting since january, so that when my tutor is assessing me she can see I'm learning the new EYFS to; its all very complicated! :o

I have got to grips with the new EYFS but I'm in desparate need of some tracking sheets.

I've a real need for a system that can be used for all age groups as my old trackers are for 3/4years only. I've been told that I have to wait till June for these in my area.

I am concerned about the ever growing mountain of paper work expected and think it would be a good idea if the powers that be could set a universal way in which they wish it to be presented, the new EYFS does give choices in the way evidence is presented but I've already had different people tell me their own prefered way; which in turn adds to confusion.

I am going on some NCA local training on saturday but have been told it will be very basic showing how to observer, which I feel will not be enough information; but as the workshop has to be able to be understood by all childminders especailly those who are not networked or accredited and have never done any form of record keeping; which of course I do understand.

this might be useful

Trackers 0-5

tracking childrens progress through the early years foundation stage ISBN 978-1-898873-51-8

QEd publications

web: www.qed.uk.com

email: orders@qed.uk.com

£5 each

Edited by Guest

Hi

Having attended a workshop for the new EYFS on the weekend I now realise how much easier it is going to be. For childminders who do birth to three, then move onto EYFS there was a big change in what was required in record keeping.

So don't panic, it's very similar to B23 in set up and we only have to consentrate on 4.4 of the whole document.

• 4 weeks later...

Can I just pass on what our Network Co-ordinator told some of us yesterday?

She has attended a presentation on the EYFS and the OFSTED representative actually shuddered when trackers were mentioned! According to her, OFSTED don't want to see us using trackers, ticklists or anything of that kind: they want to see observation and assessment tailored to the individual child.

There s a link here i found on another thread regarding afterschool provision/wrap around care

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachingandle...cationsandfaqs/

That states that childminders are not required to do vast quantities of extra paperwork,that its not a requirement to do written observations,but that planning should take place ,but that EYFS doesn t say what or how it should be done -hope that makes sense !!

Am I right in assuming that as you ve a network co ordinator youre also an NCMA member -have you looked at their "Active Learning " book ?

Its got lots of good clear information about EYFS and some nice straight forward planning sheets which are photocopyable

I suppose ultimatley it ll depend what Ofsted wants to see!! - and they re not telling yet!

Sorry aunty mable have just noticed that youre an accredited childminder - dont know if this makes a difference to what kind of records you need to keep

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)