Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Deputy On Duty!

[

Hi Everyone. This is my first post :)

I wonder if there is anyone out there that can tell me if it is necessary to have a named deputy on the premises of a private pre-school whilst the manager/leader are unavailable. At present we have a relief supervisor who is level 3 qualified to oversee everything in the manager/leaders absense.

:o

Firstly, welcome to the Forum, Summer 17

What an interesting question - I think the answer may be in the day care standards (and in the guidance part of the EYFS document).

I'm not sure whether you have to have a named person - but clearly you need to have someone with the appropriate qualification available to cover as and when necessary. And on a practical note, staff need to know who to talk to for advice/guidance when they need it - including what to do if the supervisor/manager is busy...

Our plans don't show who is supervising on a daily basis, let alone who is deputy (although obviously everyone knows who the supervisor and deputies are :o ).

Mrs Ofsted certainly didn't query it...

Maz

Hi summer17 and welcome.

The new EYFS states

"In registered group settings there must be a named deputy who is able to take charge in the absence of the manager."

So from September this will be a legal requirement. I don't know if this is the case at the moment. It may be the opportunity now to put a deputy in place.

Linda

Just to add that about six years ago one of the recommendations on our Ofsted inspection was to appoint a named deputy who was responsible in the absence of the group leader. At the time we had a deputy but she was not specifically named as such due to other staff feeling they ought to be the deputy. As soon as they moved on the deputy was named.

Hi summer17 and welcome.

The new EYFS states

"In registered group settings there must be a named deputy who is able to take charge in the absence of the manager."

So from September this will be a legal requirement. I don't know if this is the case at the moment. It may be the opportunity now to put a deputy in place.

Linda

Many thanks for your speedy feedback. Not sure about everyone else but I do feel as if we are going to be jumping through a huge number of hoops in preparation for September. What was wrong with the way we all do things at the moment? Don't get me started on Sustainability.... will we all be enjoying what we do now or selling up?

ps This is a great forum :o

Sunny x

Thanks Linda!

Its on my 'to do' list...

Don't get me started on Sustainability.... will we all be enjoying what we do now or selling up?

As Mrs Doyle would say "ah go on!"

We all need a good rant now and then!

Maz

Guest Wolfie

Hi summer17 and welcome! I too was advised to have a named deputy- in fact I had two, who worked part time and job shared! Maz, who is Mrs. Doyle?

Edited by Wolfie

Maz, who is Mrs. Doyle?

The housekeeper in Father Ted. She was forever trying to persuade the Frs to have a cup of tea - hence "ah go on". Its a little hard to replicate the Irish accent though!

Hi Summer 17,

Two years ago I worked alongside another supervisor and Ofsted still advised us that we should think about having a named deputy in the event that both of us were absent at the same time.

Rachel

Looks like the advice has been made statutory, Rachel!

Maz (have I welcomed you to the Forum before? If not, welcome :o - I can be a little forgetful...)

Looks like the advice has been made statutory, Rachel!

Maz (have I welcomed you to the Forum before? If not, welcome :o - I can be a little forgetful...)

Hi Maz

Thanks for the welcome, what amused us was we were advised (tongue in cheek i hope) not to fly together in the same plane! It made us feel like royalty!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)