Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

For Love Or Money

HappyMaz

Have just been reading an online magazine about a new research project by the Institute for Public Policy Research. The headline was saying that low pay and status is hindering the development of the early years workforce. At first I thought "tell me the obvious why don't you?" xD

However, when I looked at it more closely it became clear that they have actually talked to early years practitioners, and the report itself raises some interesting points and some challenges which they feel will help strengthen both the quality and the status of the sector. Comments from individuals give the report a very human feel - one person talking about a respected colleague who traded in her job in a nursery with one in a call centre. "She has less stress, less responsibility but she hates it - although when we compare salaries... she can afford almost anything, but I struggle".

Another point was about the need to go into management in order to progress and earn more money - "it seems I spend less time playing with the child in order to do the paperwork, which isn't what I want to do"...

I'm going to print it off to have a good read - the report makes quite challenging recommendations for the level of qualifications an early years worker needs, based on evidence gathered from successful approaches to early years education abroad. If you'd like to read it you can download it here

You might need to register - but its free and they'll keep you updated with future research.

Would be interested to see what you think!

Maz

PS - I'm so proud of myself. After however long of being a member and wondering how to put links in without putting in the whole address - I've cracked it! Its the small things in life that please me :o

Edited by HappyMaz

Thanks Maz,

just lost a member of staff because of salary and being unable to survive on it. but she is now feeling unhappy in her work and isolated for want of a better phrase, no laughs was a comment made.

Have downloaded and will read with interest

And now will you add links to every post? well done on doing it BTW

Inge

And now will you add links to every post?

Inge

Now that's the kind of challenge I could rise to Inge! But when it comes to websites, I think Marion has the edge there!

Maz

I know I have a member of staff she came to me as a parent helper and she is brilliant at her job she went to college gained her level 2 and said she would like to do her level 3. Now after 7 years of the job that she admits she loves, she has handed in her resignation in search of a job that pays more money

shelf stacking in the new supermarket!!!!

I almost packed in the child care a few months ago after I completed my DPP. Not so much a money issue as an issue of respect and recognition for my work as a volunteer. But I'm glad I didn't now as I was offered a PAID job in Jan and we are going through big changes at the moment which are really exciting and a great time to be on board.

We all know that working with children offers lousy pay but I think that some rewards go beyond merely financial. When I went back to my setting for my interview for the job I now have, most of the children came running up to me with smiling faces and lots of hugs telling me how much they had missed me - priceless and it brought a tear to my eye.

Sally

But unfortunately all the hugs and smiles dont pay the bills , my staff member just could not afford to stay...too much stress and worry on how to pay the rent, bills and support her children, she always said the job was a joy otherwise and would never have left.

Inge

I agree with you Inge. In my case, most of the jobs I was able to do weren't offering a much better rate of pay once I had deducted out of school and holiday child care. So although I would have been on a better hourly rate, I would not have been any better off with 3 children to pay for.

Unfortuately, rates of pay in child care jobs do not reflect the committment, hard work and important job that we all do. Until this is recognised, I fear that many more excellent staff will be lost to other sectors.

Sally

Thanks have downloaded,, just wanted I needed, a reflective moment for one of my assignments, :o

Question WHY I am doing what I am!!

Love or Money or as someone has said, recognition!!

Thanks xD