Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview/application

would love to help you by saying I applied successfully myself, but am in same boat and closing date for mine is 8th April. As you are Lancashire based and I am elsewhere in country, I doubt we are going for same job so I'm going to defo mention ECM, EYFS and anything else I can think of! Beyond that, I haven't got very far yet! Good luck and if you have any inspiration, please share!

Thanks Susan. I feel I could do the job really well if I could get an interview- first impressions and all that make your letter so crucial. That's why I'm finding it hard to start- too much at stake!

Have you got a particular job in mind? If so I would base it around the person specification/job description...at least then you know you are 'ticking the boxes' for what they are looking for. Good luck! :o

Guest Wolfie

Hi Gwen! As others have said, I would start by picking the job desciption/person specification apart and matching your skills and experience to that as much as you can.

Particular skills needed will be being able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team and being able to work with parents so if you've got experience to match those, make sure that you emphasise it. There's a useful article on the Early Education website about the role of the teacher, which might give you some ideas:

http://www.early-education.org.uk/1_position_papers.htm

It refers to the findings of the EPPE research which might also give you some ideas.

Although you are going for a teaching position, and as such will be concentrating on the "education" side of things (if you CAN separate these things out which I'm not sure about), I'm sure that they will be looking for someone who is able to work with a wide range of professionals in order to help the Centre achieve high standards and meet the needs of their community.

Another document that it might be worth you getting hold of is the Surestart Children's Centre Practice Guidance

http://publications.teachernet.gov.uk/defa...=SSCC-PRACT2006

This gives you a good idea of the range of services provided in a Children's Centre that you may be asked to contribute to.

Any more questions, give us a shout! :o

Edited by Wolfie

I think I must be stalking you today Wolfie...!

Good luck both with your applications, CCs will be looking for someone very flexible with a good solid early years background; someone who can work alone, but alongside all manner of different professionals too; someone who can lead and model good early years practice; can prioritise competing demands; think sideways; be a problem solver; manage a crisis; The person spec should indicate what is wanted and it will depend much on how the role is defined for the job you are looking at.

Its a good idea to get someone you trust to act as a critical friend to read through your application and match it to the job spec if you are concerned about that. Sometimes someone just outside of the situation can see things more objectively than you can and can suggest things to add or take away.

thanks so much to both of you. I have made a start on my letter in support of your application and am going away for a few days now so shall mull it over whilst walking in the Pennines.

Good article, Wolfie and sound advice Mundia- sometimes, an outside eye is just what you need.

Fingers crossed- how are you getting on Gwen?

hi thanks for all replies - job going to be advertised after 23rd April I think. Going to read all the info you highlighted - thanks

Guest budgie1

Hi, Ive just had an interview for a teaching job in a cc. There was a lot of emphasis on working as part of a team, also about leading training with pre schools, nurseries and working with parent and toddler groups and vulnerable families. I had to do an "unseen presentation" which turned out to be "What opportunities and challenges do you see in the role of a teacher in a cc?" I talked about 4 ideas of what I would like to implement and also of 4 difficulties I might encounter. The role gave clear indications of what they were looking for and I tried to write my applicatrion to cover all 11 areas. I also included how I might achieve the job spec aim ( to raise profile scores in Speaking and listening and PSED) I also did quite a lot of reading to make sure my thinking was up to date, also read ECM and the local and national agendas for this. This site is excellent to pick up tips ( I actually read on this site some ideas to help parents interact with their children a toddler groups and that was actually a question they asked!)

Good luck!!

Guest Wolfie

Whilst I think about it, a friend of mine has just been successful at an interview for a CCT - she had to read a story to the interview panel as though they were a group of parents and children at a Stay and Play session. She chose a story about bedtime and had some information to give to parents afterwards about bedtime routines, etc. It went down really well with the interviewers - apparently she was the only one who presented the story at two levels.

Just a thought for when you get to the interview stage...which I'm sure you will.... :o

Thanks for your replies and advice. I am just going to hunt for the topic where you got ideas for parents interacting with their children at toddler groups. Does anyone have any idea where it is on the forum?

Always remember empowerement , multi-agency, pvi, childminders. Remember you are not just going to be the cc teacher, it will be very much a community role, training, workshops etc. Sorry i have not replied in full but im fighting for the computer with three teenagers!! you can pm if you like

• 2 weeks later...

good luck with interviews. i am currently at a school with a childrens centre and i am fs leader. really not happy with current situation so i have applied for a new job as fs leader in a children centre at another school, the head is very supportive and really wants someone to take lead and implement new things unlike my currently postion who is very old fashioned. so basically i will be interested to see how you get on and any ideas you may have.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)