Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview

Thanks to those who replied to my last post regarding a job interview. I was a little hesitant to give too much away as I realised anyone could have read what I wrote!!!

I now know that I will be interviewed on thursday. My area of 'speciality' is pre-school and would like to ask for some advice on birth to three. Our daycare failed ofsted recently and my new role would be managing that as well as continuing to manage the pre-school. (Posts have been merged). I would like to ask your thougths on the best way to show quality assurance apart from joining a scheme. Is an operational file going to cover quality assurance? We have to really raise standards for the under 3's so any advice will be gratefully received.

How about photographs, parental feedback, staff development and training, increased occupancy and obviously a improved ofsted report hope this is the sort of suggestions you where looking for if not I am sure some one else will be along with the correct answers

Thanks Belle06

I hadn't actually thought about parental feedback. I also have to do a 10 minute presentation on the challenges and opportunites that will be created by the EYFS.(I found this out this morning!)

Oh yeah and the interview is now no longer on thursday, it is going to be sometime next week which at least allows me to spend more time on the presentation.

Good luck Wendles with the interview, Im presuming this is for a post where you already work?

The obvious place to start with your daycare would be what the OFSTED actually says, has this been done already? Do you have an action plan in place and is progress being made? Some things OFSTED pick up on are quiet straightforward to fix, a register missing or a policy out of date. Some things may be more complex and need to become embedded in practice for example health and safety issues; food handling or developing independence.

Good job you have time to prepare for your presentation, 10 minutes isn't long to talk about challenges and opportunities created by EYFS, so you will need to pick out some key points.

Good luck Wendles.

Some good pointers already to help your preparation. Just like to add that once action plans are set the most important thing is to monitor that actions are completed, this tends to be where systems can fail. ie: lots of 'to do' lists but still things don't get done. :o

Quality Assurance is also about valuing what you do do well, identifying peoples strengths, then using these strengths effectively. Wide consultation, as previously mentioned ie: Parents, staffs and childrens views, then external advisors such as Early years advisory teachers / Ofsted feedback, SENCO advisors etc.

The system needs to be workable, not paper led or cumbersome, it should be a means to motivate and drive people forward, but also allowing good time for reflection and celebration of success. QA should inform what are the priorities to improve, so needs to start with statutory requirements then building to good practice over and above.

Keep the system SMART S.M.A.R.T.

Again good luck for a successful interview. xD

Peggy