Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lunch Club Staffing

Hi there,

we are moving to new premises in April, however we will be doing a morning session, an afternoon session and a lunch club (how exciting and absoloutely terrifying).

During the lunch club period we may have up to 24 children (I doubt very much whether it will be this many). Does anyone know what ratio of staff we need to cover the lunch club?

Also, what qualifications do we need... a level 3 staff member for lunch club?

Health and hygiene and anything else?

Help much appreciated x

we were told a level 3 and level 2 plus enough committee members to meet ratios :o - and ofsted were in today for hours and all ok!!!!! xD

Oh well done you - it's so exhausting, but you don't realise until it's over. Fantastic feeling when it's done - big glass of wine! x

we were told a level 3 and level 2 plus enough committee members to meet ratios :o - and ofsted were in today for hours and all ok!!!!! xD

By the way, do you know the ratio? Sorry I'm starting to get bogged down with so much and so many ideas and changes I think I'm beginning to get confused!

By the way, do you know the ratio? Sorry I'm starting to get bogged down with so much and so many ideas and changes I think I'm beginning to get confused!

Normal ratios would apply, so that would depend on the number and ages of the children.

Maz

Normal ratios would apply, so that would depend on the number and ages of the children.

Maz

Thank you,

gosh it's amazing how you end up reading and doing so much that you go full circle and confusing yourself, still it's gotta be worth it. However I have to admit my small head is distracted as I can feel a familiar itch and I am concerned that I will now have to de-louse the whole family! Ah well, never mind x

However I have to admit my small head is distracted as I can feel a familiar itch and I am concerned that I will now have to de-louse the whole family! Ah well, never mind x

Don't suppose Mrs Ofsted got near enough to a child to catch them did she? What a delicious thought :o

Sorry - couldn't resist!

Maz

All staff usually stay on the premises....but take it in turns to supervise lunch club. On average we have about 10 at lunch time so staff ratio's are easily covered and number of qualified staff not a problem with us as all staff are level 3 with 1 exeption and she is level 2.

How do you operate your lunch clubs?

Do the children bring their own? Where stored? Do you need Environmental health involved? Do parents think it's a good idea?

Just wondering how this all works in practice, having never considered this route before.

lunch club is very sucessful and extremely benficial to the children. I have really got to know our children much better thru LC,lots of conversation!!!

We only offer it at mo to the fs1 children. It prepares them for big school lunch times and school have noted a vast improvement in reception after attending LC with us.

They bring their own lunch we send a letter asking that they refrain from putting in sweets and choc we have loosened the rules a little and allow crisps and cake but the children know they are expected to eat their sandwiches,pasta,crackers etc first.they are very good and always have fruit and yog too.

Also we ask that in warm weather the parents are asked to put in a freeze block of some kind. We have lunch box trolley i bought at the EY exhibition (are you going by the way?) this is brill cos the children know where the boxes go on arrival it can be wheeled about and put in a cool place afterwards and if we eat outside of whcih we do alot in nice weather it can be wheeled with us.

We charge £3.50 and it runs after session at 11.45 at the mo because we have so many children accessing their 5 sessions over 2half days it is made up of only full dayers (short staffed too) We are lucky we have an additional smaller room they go in to allow the afternoon staff to be a ble to have their own lunch and set up for afternoon. then at 12.40 the lc children come thru for afternoon session. we have run it differently for our sessional children if you want to know more. hope it helps.

Andrea

Edited by Andreamay

we have lunch club..

children bring in a packed lunch with a cool block (all year round in our case as they forget if only some of the time!!!)

we ask no chocolate or sweets or fizzy drinks, and must admit to checking some boxes in the morning of those we know will have some in it!!

we keep them in a giant cool bag (we got it from the cash and carry, holds 10 boxes!!) and children know exactly where to put it each day, it is then put in our cold cupboard.

All settings are registered with environmental health even if they provide a drink of water.. not that we have ever seen anyone.

we ask for bookings by the term and a weeks notice in writing of changes, allows us to plan staffing , breaks etc.

But if we have room we also allow parents to book an occasional lunch club with 24 hours notice at a higher rate. Some prefer this to a regular booking/day each week.

Took a while but now in our second year and it works really well, many children persuade parents to let them stay when they see another child staying when they have to go!!

we show how much they learn from it and we always find numbers increasing about now as they prepare for school lunches!!

Inge

Can't thank you enough for your answers - it's really answered a whole load of questions we had.

And (I know, never start with an and) our EYAT said the county council wouldn't fund us joining the forum as you could get the same quality of advice from a magazine! Huh, what do they know-would have taken days to plough through mags for these answers-this is my editorial choice any day)!

x x x :oxD:(