Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Counting Train?

Hello...

Firstly, what a useful site this has been in my first year of teaching special needs at Primary level! I hope to be able to reciprocate soon by sharing some of my own ideas and finds when I begin to generate some more original stuff!

I recently tried to order something called a "counting train" from an educational suppliers ( are we allowed to mention names here?!) and was told it had been discontinued. Basically it was a large wooden train with a series of carriages which you could count wooden people into - great for addition/counting on etc.

I've done a few searches but can't find this available anywhere else...does anyone else know where I can get something like this? It just looks like such a concrete way to help some of our children with really limited language skills who are struggling with counting on and the whole concept of addition.

Thanks for help! :o

Hello...

Firstly, what a useful site this has been in my first year of teaching special needs at Primary level! I hope to be able to reciprocate soon by sharing some of my own ideas and finds when I begin to generate some more original stuff!

I recently tried to order something called a "counting train" from an educational suppliers ( are we allowed to mention names here?!) and was told it had been discontinued. Basically it was a large wooden train with a series of carriages which you could count wooden people into - great for addition/counting on etc.

I've done a few searches but can't find this available anywhere else...does anyone else know where I can get something like this? It just looks like such a concrete way to help some of our children with really limited language skills who are struggling with counting on and the whole concept of addition.

Thanks for help! :o

Welcome to the forum, jenona!

Sorry - can't help with your query I'm afraid!

Maz

I have found this if it is any use. Not many to count though!

Thanks to both of you for your replies...This counting train looks like it could be a good start for us - many thanks Carol.

All best,

Jenny :o

Can't help with the train but we have something similair with boats.There are seperate boats for each number and chunky peg people.They have colour coded hats/boats as well.

I don't know where you could get a wooden one (unless you have any gifted parents/carers...) But have you thought about making a paper or card train & laminating it, then putting velcro spots of the desired quantity on each carriage, then making people & laminating them & putting the other half of the velcro spots on the back?

One of my special needs courses suggested using the children's photos to make people for the doll's house etc & you could use this here also. It would give them more understanding of sizes too if you used bigger/smaller children or adults & make photo people to scale.

And if you're talking children with language dleays, as you are you, could get bonus talk about the names of the children, etc.

Welcome to the forum jenona! I really love counting cakes:

http://www.galt-educational.co.uk/webapp/w...ategoryId=63961

Thanks everyone for all your replies and ideas - I especially liked Shiny's cakes - definitely want those! :o Also - Biccy - the chunky boats and hats sound good - where did you get these?

In the meantime, will get going on some laminated ones as Lyanne suggests.

Will try and share some good ideas myself when I get any!

Cheers.

Jenona

xD

Can't help with the train but we have something similair with boats.There are seperate boats for each number and chunky peg people.They have colour coded hats/boats as well.

Oops....I meant the chunky peg people with their boats and hats! :o

• 3 weeks later...
Still searching for the boats.I have seen it in a catalog so will look at work tomorrow but found this

http://www.hope-education.co.uk/webapp/wcs...14&catType=

Thanks Biccy - Have just posted some websites people may find useful in the General Curriculum section. Hope to be able to share more ideas/resources soon. Many thanks for all your great ideas and tips so far!

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)