Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

La Membership Scheme

Verona

Why is it West Sussex do not offer free membership to the FSF? Can anyone offer advice on who to approach?

All around us (Hampshire, East Sussex, Southampton etc) are free members - it's just good old West Sussex who always seems to be the last to join anything or are the last to set up courses etc.

NO WAY would I give up this site - it is definitely value for money - we have gained such a lot from being members - but it would be nice if we could access it free.

Sue J

Hi Suej. Know the felling, when I move, there aren't any LAS in my new neck of the woods who are members, its a bit of a FSF blackhole.

Im sure Steve or Sue will be along to explain this one, maybe west sussex just haven't seen the light yet?...

Your subscription is a personal one, after all your opinions, needs and views are going to be different from your colleagues, and I certainly wouldn't want anyone else posting in my name! I think if you are a regular contributor (rather than a reader, of which there are obviously many), then it would be confusing if 5 people are using the same name and making posts, because we do get to know each other don't we, and it would appear like this person had a different opinion on every day!

Not a definitive answer, just my thinking..ahem...Ill leave the way for a proper answer now.

Yep, Steve is the man to ask about LEA membership, whether he has approached your LEA only he knows. In the meantime why not ask your LEA head of Early years whether he/she knows about the forum and that all your surrounding LEA's are subscribers to it. Let him/her know how good it is for networking, announcing training, sharing good ideas etc. xD

Agree with Mundia, sharing membership would be confusing, others using your password / user name. This wouldn't be a problem though if your LEA would subscribe, so another reason to tell your EY LEA team, an LEA subscription would enable access for ALL practitioners in the area, (well anyone with access to a computer :o ) not just managers/leaders of settings, thus reducing costs of mailings, advertising, etc. Not sure if membership to the LEA scheme would give LEA's PM access to all users, Steve would be the one to answer that.

Peggy

Hi Sue -

Yes, we've approached West Sussex from time to time and had a couple of advisers who have been interested in the scheme, but not had the budget for it (or not had the authority to use the budget for this).

We have to strike a balance between contacting the authorities and pestering them - we have been from time to time in contact with all 150 authorities in England - so we try not to make contact with them too regularly, although they will receive an email or phone call every year or so. If you have anyone from the LA who you think would be interested in hearing more about us, please do email either me or Sue and we'll be happy to get in touch with them.

The scheme works by allowing an unlimited number of reception teachers, nursery practitioners and childminders (plus advisers, trainers etc) to join for a single annual fee. For example, there are a number of authorities now heading towards 300 members from their area. Each of the members then has his/her own separate account which lasts for a year regardless of whether the LA renews their scheme. As Peggy and mundia have said, it would be very confusing for authorities to have to share a single account with a single email address etc.

The useful thing that they also have access to is the ability to email all their own members as a group. Many authorities are beginning to find this a useful feature as they can keep in touch when new events or documents become available. (I'm rather proud of this feature... :o )

Hi Sue -

Yes, we've approached West Sussex from time to time and had a couple of advisers who have been interested in the scheme, but not had the budget for it (or not had the authority to use the budget for this).

Given that I don't know how much it would cost for an LEA to join, I would have thought it would be an excellent way to use up that surplus money they sometimes have at the end of the financial year... :o

Maz