Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rubbish !

tess

Can I ask a really dopey question - How do you get rid of your rubbish..

Sorry :o

Just something I'm puzzling on - I've had a letter from our Parish Council (we hire their hall) to say we must take all our rubbish home with us daily. This is new to us and not in our tenancy agreement.

What are we supposed to do with it - no way will it fit in my personal wheely bin (we have fornightly collections here), not allowed a bin at the hall. Any ideas.................

There are rules and regulations about what hirers of community amenities are supposed to provide when they rent out their premises, and I'm fairly certain that providing facilities to remove waste is among them. After all, they will receive refuse collection facilities from the local council...

Maybe your local council would be your first port of call to find out what they advise.

Sorry - not very helpful!

Maz

I know that the hall committee at our local village hall pay an annual fee to have the bin emptied. I'm really not sure whether there are any rules regarding the letting of halls but as Maz says your local council may well have the answer to this.

I think some church hall committees like to make life as difficult as possible for others, ours on the other hand are very very helpful. The church hall has a daily caretaker who takes all of our rubbish away each morning.

The hall has three green wheelie bins that are emptied by the local council.

If we have done junk modelling etc and we have an excess of cardboard boxes etc then we will arrange for one of our hubbies to take it all to the local tip.

Good luck in finding a solution :o

Can empathise with you. We had this happen to us - we now have to pay a percentage of the council bill (70%) to the Church for them to pay to the Borough Council to empty the rubbish. It's so annoying, as we predicted that others who use the premise would fill the bin and we would end up paying for it - which is exactly what has happened. But we've no choice - it's that or take the rubbish home (same as you - fortnightly collection etc) so we now pay something ridiculous every quarter and often can't actually fit the rubbish in the bin as the gardener has filled it with garden waste! It's so petty, and very annoying.

Guest MaryEMac

We don't use our village hall for playgroup, but we do for fundraising events and in their list of do's and don'ts, we are requested to take away our own rubbish.

Mary

We have to take ours - tecnically that is. however the people in the next building let us put it in their bin!

We do recyle paper which I take home and pile up in our garden ready for the fortnightly collects - our council offers £100 a month for the best recyler..... I'm going for it by default!!!!!!!!!!

Since we started recyling we have very little waste - usually only a small tesco bag full.

xxx

We take ours only if it makes the bin look to full xD if we can get away with it we do all though we do take it away when we have parties or special days that causes more than usual waste.

We share it out amongst us. A carry bag each. sounds disgusting but none of us have a bin big enough at home to take it.

Its because Church halls come in that no-mans land of not paying council tax the same as the rest of us, I know that the rectory does but not the church so it doesn't warrant a bin. :o or thats what they tell me

Steph

Not in a church hall....but rent from the college and we have to get rid of our own rubbish. Lucky for us we have access to the schools wheelie bins and recycling bins so its not a problem.

Hmm, the problem seems to be that some councils were charging schools,playgroups and preschools as 'commercial waste'.............but there was a directive recently from a government dept( can't recall which one though!!) telling all councils that it must now be classed as ordinary domestic waste.it might be worth ringing your local council to find out.....they can still charge you, but at the ordinary bin rate (we had to pay £25 for a wheelie bin, but that's a one-off payment).It was horrid having to take waste home prior to that.We still ask parents to take nappies home though, as they were used to doing it, and also, if we don't have much stuff in our bin, we might only put it out once every three weeks or so (still weekly here!), so don't want stinky nappies hanging around!

Thank you - lots of really useful advice. I'll let you know how we get on.

I have to be so careful with our council as they threatened to evict us last year if we didn't sign their tenancy agreement.

Lets just say its fairly scary everytime we have to ask for anything.

I'd really like a compost bin - but fingers crossed.

we also use a church hall we had the same problem years ago.

we phoned the council and asked them to give us our own bin, so instead they issued us with a larger wheelie bin to share with the other hall users and took away the smaller wheelie bin.

we are a preschool in a village hall and once had the same problem,

we managed to compromise by suggesting that we buy a bin for recycling which we take away and they empty the non recycling.

seeing as most of what we use is recyclable they got a fair deal and the children are learning about recycling!

if like us you are paying rent then surely you are to expect them to empty a bin whilst cleaning, i'm sure other hall users aren't asked to take their rubbish away(unless after a party or something)?