Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Information For Parents

Hi, I think this question has been asked before but I can't find it right now. I am trying to write a brief explanation for parents about the EYFS and how their input into their children's records are valued, about our activities being more about children's current interests etc etc. Does anyone have anything similar that I could take a look at to help me develop my own please? Or how are you all informing your parents about the changes coming into effect? I am tweaking our planning, registration forms and childrens folders to the best of my ability but would like something to inform our existing parents of these changes. We are a small, sessional, committee run pre-school and any ideas would be gratefully received. I have considered organising a meeting or open morning but we do struggle to get parents to hang around as they are usually rushing off to work or are just 'too busy' - our committee meetings are not well attended either - so don't favour that approach much. I just thought a note home and maybe a small display on our information board would be more appropriate. Thanks in advance..

Welcome to the Forum, wally

This is a timely question - I am in the process of revamping our policy/prospectus document for parents which contains a lengthy explanation of the Curriculumn Guidance for the Foundation Stage, so I guess I'll just update this in line with what we currently do. We have already changed some of our paperwork so parents have seen some information already (we have an observation tracker which we use to collate our observations to highlight areas of learning and development which have fewer observations). I think its best to drip feed information as and when it becomes applicable rather than hit parents with everything they ever needed to know and more. Otherwise it will largely go unread!

Sorry I'm not at an advanced stage with this so I can't offer anything more concrete!

Maz

I've got a DVD sitting in front of me at the moment which I haven't watched yet but is apparently to give out to parents to give them some information about the EYFS - it's called "Playing and Learning Together", produced by the DCSF.

Might be worth a look if you haven't been sent a copy already? I cannot find a link to the DVD anywhere but I'm sure someone else will - our Centre was sent a box full of copies for all our parents.

I've got a DVD sitting in front of me at the moment which I haven't watched yet but is apparently to give out to parents to give them some information about the EYFS - it's called "Playing and Learning Together", produced by the DCSF.

Might be worth a look if you haven't been sent a copy already? I cannot find a link to the DVD anywhere but I'm sure someone else will - our Centre was sent a box full of copies for all our parents.

Ooh - sounds interesting. Do you have a reference number so that I can order some copies?

Maz

Reference number...just a minute, need my glasses.......00671-2007DVD-EN - published by the Department for Children, Schools and Families. I can't work out why I can't find any links to it anywhere? We got sent a load of copies without having to order them.

Yes, what I've looked at so far looks OK. It's really annoying me that I can't find it mentioned ANYWHERE on the net - the phone number to order it is the same as for all publications - 0845 60 222 60 - and quote the above reference.

I think that the focus of the DVD is more on illustrating ways in whcih parents can become involved in their children's learning rather than specifically giving parents information about the EYFS. A very good DVD though - there are five sections on the DVD:

Talking, listening, learning

Learning with Dad

Places to go

Parents talk

Where can I find out more?

have just phoned up to order this and was told they are totally out of stock and don't know when they will get more, so just keep calling until they have them again! So, a big plea here: if anyone has a spare copy, could they let me borrow/have one please......... :o

Thanks everyone for your replies. The link is excellent myhenroxanne - just what I need. How can the info vary so much on Early Years websites? Some are fantastic and packed with policy outlines, how to design your operational file etc and others have nothing! Anyway cheers.

Hi

I sympathise with poor turn out to meetings and open evenings. We have found that if we take lots of photos and make a big display - which is only available at the meeting - parents will come. We try to show things like Daily Routine or six learning areas which those parents who can't visit during the session seem to appreciate. Thought I would just pass it on

Caro

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)