Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maths Homework

OK all you mathematitions out there, can you help.

Son aged 11 yrs, Number sequence homework.

1. 3, 9, 15, _ _ _ _

2. 20, 40, 60, _ _ _ _

yes easy so far, then there were 8 more sequence questions, managed these, now for the problem, part 2 of homework.

Quote " Think very carefully now. Can you write down the short hand rule for each of the above (10) sequences? The first one has been done for you.

1. NN=LN + 2

HELP!!! :o

What is a 'short hand rule'? Could anyone give me the short hand rule for number 2 above?

Could anyone explain what the N's and L's stand for?

Much appreciated, thanks.

Peggy

Does NN=LN +2 mean "next number equals last number plus 2"?

So for 20, 40, 60 would it be NN=LN +20?

Mind you, if that's correct I'll eat my hat. Not that I've got one, mind :o

Maz

My son (15) says

N=L+20

I don't know why though!! Maths wasn't this hard when I was 11.

Apparently the letters can be for any number. So it wouldn't matter if it was A instead of N the letters have no meaning. My son says its Algebra.

Makes no sense to me either!

Does NN=LN +2 mean "next number equals last number plus 2"?

So for 20, 40, 60 would it be NN=LN +20?

Mind you, if that's correct I'll eat my hat. Not that I've got one, mind :o

Maz

Looking at QU 1. If NN means next number & LN means Last number, then wouldn't it be 3(+2), 5,(+2) 7

and not 3, 9, 15 ???

Peggy

My son (15) says

N=L+20

I don't know why though!! Maths wasn't this hard when I was 11.

Apparently the letters can be for any number. So it wouldn't matter if it was A instead of N the letters have no meaning. My son says its Algebra.

Makes no sense to me either!

Can you ask your son what the short hand code would be if the number between each sequence number is different.

ie: QU 7: 10, 21, 43, is 10 (+11) 21 (+22) 43 (+33) 88 (+44) etc

and

Qu 9: 3, 8, 18, ie: +5, +10, +15, +20 etc

Peggy

Looking at QU 1. If NN means next number & LN means Last number, then wouldn't it be 3(+2), 5,(+2) 7

and not 3, 9, 15 ???

Peggy

apologies Maz, THANKS FOR TRYING :oxD

more than I did, I just thought AAAAHHHHHHH :(:(:(

Peggy

You see, you didnt need me after all

That is assuming that the sequences are all relatively straightforward ones?

Yes we did, although thanks to all who have helped.

Some sequences as you can see above are not straightforward. HELP

Peggy

and not 3, 9, 15 ???

Peggy

Well that would would be NN = LN + 6, I'd have thought...

Maz

Can you ask your son what the short hand code would be if the number between each sequence number is different.

ie: QU 7: 10, 21, 43, is 10 (+11) 21 (+22) 43 (+33) 88 (+44) etc

and

Qu 9: 3, 8, 18, ie: +5, +10, +15, +20 etc

Peggy

Q7.

as the sequence is 10, 21, 43 etc etc

u can see that it it 10 + 10 +1 = 21

and then the next number is 21 + 21 + 1 = 43

therefore the formula is l = n+n+1

Q9 is the same as above but +2 instead of plus 1.

so it is l= n+n+2 (3+3+2 = 8)

Kieran

Q7.

as the sequence is 10, 21, 43 etc etc

u can see that it it 10 + 10 +1 = 21

and then the next number is 21 + 21 + 1 = 43

therefore the formula is l = n+n+1

Q9 is the same as above but +2 instead of plus 1.

so it is l= n+n+2 (3+3+2 = 8)

What are you knitting?

Brenda and Biccy are quite right Peggy, using the NN and LN terminology (which can be replaced with any other symbols), you need to think about how each number relates to the previous one. In the first example, as everyone has said, each one is just 6 more than the previous one so

NN (next number) = LN (last number) +6

When you get to the harder ones 10, 21, 43, think about what is happening verbally first if it helps, ie double the number add one. In short hand then, it becomes

NN= (LN X 2) +1, which written algebraically is 2LN +1

So Peggy, just so that we haven't done your homework for you (I presume not yours but one of the children's?); try this one

2 5 14 41...

It is important that you understand what is happening here, once you have mastered this, algebra has a habit of getting much harder very quickly.

Does that help?

I've been battling with my 12 year old for 2 weeks about algebra and the whole 'what's the point' & 'I'm never going to need it when I'm older'. It's got so bad that hubby's banned from going anywhere near her maths homework as the temper tantrums are awful (his are worse than hers :o ), but now I can honestly tell Alice that I used algebra this morning to work out a problem, I'm just not going to tell her it took me nearly two hours to work out where I was going wrong till I got to the right answer (least I think it's right!) xD .

Karrie

Brenda and Biccy are quite right Peggy, using the NN and LN terminology (which can be replaced with any other symbols), you need to think about how each number relates to the previous one. In the first example, as everyone has said, each one is just 6 more than the previous one so

NN (next number) = LN (last number) +6

When you get to the harder ones 10, 21, 43, think about what is happening verbally first if it helps, ie double the number add one. In short hand then, it becomes

NN= (LN X 2) +1, which written algebraically is 2LN +1

So Peggy, just so that we haven't done your homework for you (I presume not yours but one of the children's?); try this one

2 5 14 41...

It is important that you understand what is happening here, once you have mastered this, algebra has a habit of getting much harder very quickly.

Does that help?

Yes a little, I think :o

I can see that the sequence is +3, +9,+27 , so are 3x . ie:3x3=9, 9x3=27, but my mind goes blank how to shorthand this.

thinking aloud now xD

2 (+3) =5 then 5 (+3 +3 +3)=14, then 14 (+3+3+3+3) = 26 AAHHH

NN=LN+3,NN=LN+9,NN=LN+27 (rather a LONG shorthand) HELP

Whilst I'm waiting for your response Mundia, I'm going to teach my son how to knit, now where did I leave my knitting needles.?

Peggy

p.s. My vague memory of algebra 30+ yrs ago, I didn't get it, sat at the back of the class avoiding being seen by the teacher, then I do vividly (spl) recall having a ureka moment at the end of one lesson only to find that algebra was not covered again, so I couldn't 'consolidate' my eureka moment. :(

p.p.s. Hubby just told me that my son got highest mark in the class, in a maths test at school today. :(

ureka 2, 5, 14, 41 ?

NN=LN x3-1 or 3LN-1

Thanks Mundia, is there a method / system for working out the differences or is it just basically 'playing with the numbers' until they fit.?

Peggy

ureka 2, 5, 14, 41 ?

NN=LN x3-1 or 3LN-1

Thanks Mundia, is there a method / system for working out the differences or is it just basically 'playing with the numbers' until they fit.?

Peggy

Well done Peggy, I knew you could do it! The secret there was to move away from thinking of additions and moving towards other operations, in this case multiplication. Think, put it in words first if you can.

Its interesting to ask if there is a method, for someone like me, I just 'see' it. It is the single biggest reason that when we teach mathematical ideas to children, we should give them opportunities to get a 'feel' for maths, for numbers and how they relate to each other, something sometimes rather sadly lacking in favour of 'learning how to do sums'.

Once upon a time in another life I wrote a module for my MEd entitled algebra in the early years, Id still stand by everything I wrote then in terms of

algebraic thinking in young children (they just do it without the symbols)

And now I think Ill shuffle of and change my forum mathematician title...

Once upon a time in another life I wrote a module for my MEd entitled algebra in the early years, Id still stand by everything I wrote then in terms of algebraic thinking in young children (they just do it without the symbols)

Now that I'd like to read! I always knew our children are clever - didn't realise just how clever they are! :o

Maz

and even if you change your title you'll still be our resident maths expert, mundia! (unless, of course, Peggy wants to apply for the position?)