Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wet Pants!

Hi everyone,

I have several children in my class who will just sit there on the carpet and wet themselves, they seem to think it as acceptable behaviour!

We do toilet reminders every half an hour yet they refuse to go and then do it on the carpet!

Any ideas how I can stop this? I have spoken to all their parents and they just think they will grow out of it and some don't believe me when I say I do toilet reminders!

Thanks

Rachel x

Any ideas how I can stop this? I have spoken to all their parents and they just think they will grow out of it

I think its fair to say they will grow out of it - how many grown ups do you know who sit down in the staff room and have a wee when they feel like it?? :o

Without knowing how old the children are and what type of setting you're in its hard to know what to say. I hope this is a phase that will soon pass. If that's not a pun too far!

Maz

Oh dear!

We had a class with girls like this a couple of years ago and I had a little boy last year who was exactly the same although he also messed himself.

We coped with the situation by requiring the children to bring their own supply of clean clothes.

As far as I am aware, they all entered year 1 and were ok!

I had this problem last term, a girl of 41/2, even after she had 'sat on the loo' ( doing nothing) she would then, within 20 mins or so wee in the setting, normally on the carpet.

She refused to even sit on the loo at home( or potty), mum would just change her each time she wet herself.

Mum investigated whether there were any medical reasons which proved negative.

I discussed this with colleagues and wondered if the child, and maybe other children who appear to defy against 'apprpriatte toileting behaviour' are using this behaviour as a way of feeling in control, a bit like children will use food ie: won't eat this that or the other.

Maybe we are in an age where chilren feel less empowered, and are using more 'controlling' behaviours to 'voice' their frustrations. :o Children are so fast tracked to 'growing up' maybe this is their way of saying, "let me be, slow down, give me some freedom to stay young"

This particular girl was also faddy with food.

What do others think?

Sorry, no solution to your dillema, yes, I am sure they will grow out of it, but this doesn't help with consistently having to 'disinfect' carpets, change clothes, worry about childrens maturity development etc.

Peggy

Oh just got the hang of this (I hope!!) The daughter of a friend of mine continually wet herself up into Y1 and couldnt care less about it. She was eventually diagnosed with dyspraxia and the doctor said this is a common problem as their is something in their body which doesnt fuse until later. Worth checking out? Hope this is of help.

Hi everyone,

I have several children in my class who will just sit there on the carpet and wet themselves, they seem to think it as acceptable behaviour!

We do toilet reminders every half an hour yet they refuse to go and then do it on the carpet!

Any ideas how I can stop this? I have spoken to all their parents and they just think they will grow out of it and some don't believe me when I say I do toilet reminders!

Thanks

Rachel x

Hi

We use a stop watch and when the bell goes off the child/children run off to the toilet and normally wee on demand!

Alison :

Had a thought on this one... are they still using nappies at night or at other times,

have had problems in the past like this when on closer questioning they children were used to wearing nappies at home evenings and at night and hence didn't really realise it was not acceptable to just wee when they wanted.( these were 4.5 yr olds)

How do the parents cope with this at home?

Inge

Edited by Inge