Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I've Had It!

hali

Monday was d-day for indoor/outoor free play...spent two weekends re organising play plans so that indoors and outdoors reflected in child/adult initiated plans ...................

started on Monday and from then on my well organised routine of the day went out the window....

rain/mud/welliesa/coats covered.........................

by wednesday had staff, parents and committee questioning me the only people that were happy were the little people and i found myself outside in the freezing cold and hammering rain saying 'ohh look at little Johney and the learning experience hes getting out of jumping in that muddy puddle'

im keeping strong and keeping going..thank goodnes its Friday!!!!

:oxD:(:(

I have to say that I have had it with outdoor play too. :o

I'm starting to notice a trend at some nurseries. It seems that agency staff go outside and regular staff stay in the warm.

I actually dont mind being outside, warm coat, hat, mittens. The sun was shinning to day, the slide was fab and a seesaw that bounced rather than see-sawed was great. But the noticable lack of staff while agency are in the cold is rather a micky take.

I had a 'discussion' with a parent this week who didn't want their child to go outside as they had "already had calpol and are not really well enough to play outside"...it went along the lines of...If they are not well enough to access the full curriculum including outside play they shouldn't really be in school!! Mum was not very impressed but I do get fed up with being treated like a babysitting service sometimes!!! Thank goodness its Friday!

Wow - how assertive are you Han? But you raise a valid point - and from a parent's point of view I know there are times I was tempted to send my little one in when just a bit under the weather but not poorly enough to stay at home. But that was a few years ago and we didn't go outside routinely then anyway. :o

Do you think mum saw your point in the end though?

Maz

I think she did, but as it was the child didn't choose to go out anyway!! With this particular child it is not a one off being sent in having had medicine and we have had to phone the parent to collect more than once when the medicine wears off and the temperature starts raging. I'm not very assertive really I just have some days when I think I'm going to say it plainly, som,etimes we fall into that education trap of being fluffy or using jargon because we don't want to offend the parent when actually the parent appreciates the plain honesty. Having said that there are many a time when I would love to say what I really think but restrain myself when I remember how much i enjoy my job!!

Apologies to Hali for going off the subject, I do hope next week is better for you.

Han

Ok, I'm going to be a real paperwork bore here but I'm interested........Hali, what do your adult/child initiated play plans look like for indoor/outdoor play?? Maybe it's just because I home in on the word "plans" in any sentence at the moment!!!

Oh Wolfie, I know what you mean!

My children have free access to the outdoors all day and yes sometimes they come in covered (though they are getting better). From September our school uniform will include waterproff trousers, this should help.

I do think that most of my class just love being outdoors, experiencing nature and the elements. They are the healthiest class in the school and the head now wants the outdoors to be as important for other year groups.

The best thing we did was invest in waterproofs for the nursery and reception...it really has transformed outdoor play and takes away that problem of changing 30 wet children after they have been out having fun in the rain! :o