Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Training Part One

Had to get on here quickly - sooooooo maaaaaad!

No personal reflection on the 'pedagogues' delivering the training but . . .

Attended first of three EYFS training courses today (Cheshire) what a waste of time and money!

Felt like some unskilled, unqualified person who was just considering going into childcare/education and knew absolutely nothing about children, environments or play! Training was superficial, patronising and made me feel totally embarrassed to be in this field of work- is this how other professionals see us? At one point (as it started to snow) we were told to look out of the window all together, and then we could watch the presentation without needing to look at the snow any more!!!

Training talked about ensuring we had clean toys and access to resources (perhaps even in labelled boxes??), maybe even put your jigsaw on the floor instead of a table for a change??? We were asked to explore a real orange in comparison with a toy one (sorry but this is the third time I've done that!!!!!- seems quite a popular cheshire training activity!)

My saving grace was that I was not the only totally disillusioned person there! Not looking forward to the next 2 sessions at all. Was hoping for a more educated in depth approach to explaining the EYFS and what it will mean in the future.

Sorry

feel better now I've aired it!

Hi

Just remember you know what you are doing. i have my training to look forward to on Tuesday(sounds as though it could be interesting!

Hi,

I had EYFS training today in cheshire too, and found it okay, maybe we got a good bunch of pedagogues perhaps... its a shame that it wasn't great training for you.

we also did the orange thing, which i found quite interesting because i have not done it before....

i came away feeling enthused about the EYFS, and like training was really worthwhile. i am sorry you did not find this. i wonder if you could switch training sessions?

Dawn

Sorry you had a bad day, but it did make me chuckle. Take the bull by the horns next time and question them, 'when are we going to look at the pack', 'when are you going to give us ideas', 'how long are we going to look at the basics?' :o

Cant believe you werent allowed to look at the snow

Thanks for the replies. It was very hard to remain on task as it went from bad to worse - what do people do in their settings if they don't know the basics and benefits of play?

I am a little disappointed that we were treated as if we didn't know what play was, and what different experiences children benefit from? To achieve Outstanding in care and education last summer - we felt we had good grounds to question things.

There is a place for training of this kind - but it was aimed at the wrong audience. We were there as supervisors and managers along with head teachers and reception teachers too! There was no evaluation sheet but we did express (verbally) our dismay at the content - it was exactly the same training I had attended when we changed from desirable learning outcomes to FS curriculum all those many moons ago - (which I pointed this out to the pedagogues to their dismay that somebody remembered it)

We are considering gathering info from elsewhere and training ourselves - we daren't share today's training with our staff - they would think we were mad!

Every course I have attended of late (Sure Start in the disguise of Children's and Families) treats childcare practitioners as having little or no brain.

I haven't much confidence in the next 2 sessions being any better - so if any other LA's are 'on the ball' please let me know.

Ooh, eck - it's depressing when that happens isn't it. Quite often you come away from courses thinking "Like I didn't know that before????" I had part one of EYFS training last Tues (also Cheshire!) and that was not bad. We had a jelly baby activity which was quite fun ( or maybe it seemed fun as me and my colleague ate quite a lot of the jelly babies!!

I had heard similiar in cheshire (about the jellybabies) but Im sure ive been on one where i got to eat lots of jellybabies before. i wasnt able to get on this on perhaps aswell. We are studying eyfs as foudataion degree think im going to sort it myself infact we have staff training next week to introduce the framework etc

I've got the first "principles into practice (childminders)" training next Tuesday and if there's no jelly babies I'm going to sulk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had heard similiar in cheshire (about the jellybabies) but Im sure ive been on one where i got to eat lots of jellybabies before. i wasnt able to get on this on perhaps aswell. We are studying eyfs as foudataion degree think im going to sort it myself infact we have staff training next week to introduce the framework etc

ooh Andreamay - Introducing the framework - now that's more like it - perhaps you could put on (alternative) training for those of us who already know the benefits of using real oranges and eating jelly babies (yep - done that before too!) seems like cheshire could do with some new ideas!

Well the trainers must all have been talking to one another then as there were jellybabies at a training I missed last week in Stockport!!! That was one for leaders and managers.

Linda

Hi Wolfie

At the Stockport training they had to look at their jellybaby and find something different about it. Not sure, but I think the point is that although jellybabies may all look the same they are in fact different-and this can be applied to children also! Somebody correct me if I am wrong or their exercise was different!

Linda

When I attend my training next week I'm hoping its chocolate eclairs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wine would be nice though I'm going to a local vineyard! I know its not ethical but mght be fun and memorable!!!

Apparently they are struggling to find people to come on the training in my area of Somerset.

I do have to say that I have planned training in the past and then been totally derailed because I have underestimated the level of knowledge I would expect from the target audience.

Hence training in completing the FSP for F2 teachers when it transpired that I had a room full of people who didn't even know what the FSCG was as I looked at all the blank faces when I talked about the stepping stones. Hasty mental re-writing of training course as I delivered it.

Not everyone in a training room will know what you know and the trainer has to try and second guess this range of experience and undertanding before they deliver anything! :o

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)