Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Having A Dilemma Again!

As usual in my times of trouble I turn to my forum friends....so here goes,

I will finish the FD in June and have always planned to continue to the 3rd year to BA the degree and EYPS (much the same route as Hali, Maz and others) however I am having a mini-crisis in that I am tired![

I have studied for five years now, having child minded for 13 years then NVQ 2, - 1 year, NVQ 3 (2 years) FD - (2 years). I have started to wonder what life would be like if I stop now.

Is this just a normal feeling because there is an end approaching, or will if I stop at the FD will I always regret not carrying on to the 3rd year?

I realise I can always go back to it - but will I?

My children are 7, 11, 14, 14 and 17 and I feel like they need me more now than when they were little, (in different ways i.e. taxi, emotional support etc) and they are number 1 priority for me).

I am not ambitious so should I settle with my level 5 and stop and see where the whole EYPS thing goes.... or shall I keep sloggin while the funding is there, bearing in mind I will of have had to study for 6 and a half years to become a recognised Senior practitioner :o could of been a doctor with that amount of study!, disregarding the 18 years of working with children of course xD

Edited by Guest

Keep going............it's one more year, and as we all know, time simply flies away, so it won't seem long at all! I can understand the children dilemma............but that won't go away, they will still be needing you (taxi's, support, all the other things :) ), so while you can have the time for YOU and it's funded, then I'd say go for it.Think how you will feel when you pick up your degree and have the photos of yourself to proudly display at home in your gown and mortar board........something for your children to be proud of too....look what mum acheived! Good luck xx

Hi Shirel, if you've been studying for some time, it may be time to consider a break? You've already said you are tired, have large family who need you and you have nothing to gain if you make yourself ill. In the short term, consider what will doing the full BA actually give you? Will it give you enough to slog on for knowing that your family need you more now (as they do!!) and you are so exhausted?

You can return to your studies after a year or two, when the older children are more independent, and if you really want to do it you will. You may feel after a break that you're quite happy to work at the level you are at rather than go any further, but if you do want to, you haven't closed the door on that.

What do others think?

Hi there

I dont usally reply to people (am more a reader of the discussions and god knows they've helped me) but i had to reply to you because I know exactly wot u mean about the 'how long shall i go on with the training', I too am studying the foundation degree and am wondering the same!! I am only in my first year and also want to carry on to BA level and am wondering if I can even finish this year at the mo because i have so many work committments as well as a family, but please dont give up now, I think you will be sorry and as you say its only another year or so training, but you come this far so i wud push yourself for the rest, you will be glad you did i am sure! and you've done so well getting this far in fact you have inspired me to get my butt into gear and knuckle down to my 'long put off' studying!! good luck, i hope you make the right decision

trish : : :o

Keep going. Once you get off the bus it will be difficult to get back on it and prices may rise!!! Do it while funding there and employers looking for graduates.

Well, shirel, it's a dilemma I think many of those of us who aren't qualified teachers or other graduates have faced at times throughout their careers. I have dithered myself for years, for much the same reasons as you - although I've only got two children (however do you manage, but it must be lovely when you're all together!) My poor husband has been sadly neglected in the past as I've followed my various studies ( DPP, NVQ3, Assessor, Tutor training) and at my age it all seemed a bit pointless, as I'd probably be retiring by the time I got to EYPS!!

However, something happened a while ago that made me rethink my life. A dear friend of mine, only a year older than me, (almost exactly!) died a very lingering death from liver cancer - ironically she had never drunk much at all. We met when we were studying for NVQ and hit it off immediately, it was as if we'd known each other all our lives (I can only think of a couple of other times when that's happened!). She struggled with some of the work and we spent many hours on the phone discussing various aspects of the blasted language etc. The meetings in town were saved for giggly coffees and window shopping for her long planned and anticipated silver wedding trip to Canada (she never did make it). When we finished, she thanked me and said that I HAD to continue with my plan to Assess and Tutor for the PLA, as I had helped her so much. Her support was fundamental at that time, and I miss her greatly still.

So last October I bit the bullet and am now in the middle of E123, with E124 starting on Saturday. What If I didn't do it? Would I end up eaten up by regrets? I'm not a particularly miserable person (Ihope) and would hate to think that I'd end up like that so, even if I fail spectacularly, I'm going for it, for me and my dear friend.

Having warbled interminably, and been woefully self-indulgent, I think that it might be a good idea to make a comment! It might be an idea to have a lazy relaxing summer, just enjoying your family, then do your extra year to BA, while the funding's still available. As you point out, a break might stretch too far! What do your husband and family think? I seem to remember horses feature in your life, which of course is another big pull on your time.

Sorry to go on, xD and then not really contribute much. Just trying to show solidarity.

Whatever you decide, good luck! And, of course, let us know :o

Sue

Sue what a moving reply, thankyou for your thoughts and sharing it with us, I am still undecided but appreciate all of your comments sooooooo much and be sure to let you know what I decide.

I am bowled over by your post and sorry for your loss but inspired by your reasoning and decisions you have made. What a wonderful lady you are and such a loyal friend!!!

Have a virtual bouquet of flowers from me, or a bottle of wine or chocolate whatever you like really, with my gratitude. :oxD

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I am applying for the third year, I am going to apply for the EYPS year and the 3rd year Education studies and decide depending on if I get a place on each, I know the EYPS makes more sense because of funding, but the modules for the Education studies sound really interesting, and I could always do the short pathway afterwards.

Decided sort of, but def doing 3rd year whatever.

Thanks so much for all your advice and help.

i would say keep going, if i hadnt have carried on i know i would not go back to it, one more year is all i keep telling myself and i know at the end that is it - no more!!!!! :o

Except you will be doing the Masters with me won't you??

Maz

Having warbled interminably, and been woefully self-indulgent,

Neither of these things are true Sue: your post is a timely warning to all of us who let life drift by without stopping to think about what's important.

What a way to honour your friend - and a testament to the profound effect a few very special people can have on our lives.

Thank you for sharing!

Maz

Decided sort of, but def doing 3rd year whatever.

Good for you - speaking for myself, doing the BA and the EYPS together was (and is) a tall order. However, I know that I am now half way through my degree, and that by Christmas it will all be over.

I may be a quivering wreck sobbing in my home corner by then, but I will have achieved all my aims in terms of my academic career (well for now, anyway). Seriously, I think if I had given up after the Foundation Degree I would have thought it was a job half done.

And we'll all be here to cheer you on!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)