Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Planning And Topics

hi all

Our nursery/preschool unit has just had a new manager put in place, she at present manages the primary unit in the school and wants to make a few changes so we follow the same planning through out the school?

she has suggested that the topics in the nursery are to be the same as preschool but i feel that when they leave us to move up at 3 years they would be repeating the same topics again? (a different topic each month but the same in both rooms)

also in the nursery we tend to try to keep it basic as the children are 1 year upwards, and are learning all the time from potty training to feeding themselves, im worried that the manager is expecting too much from nursery children?

what views do others have on this, any help would be appreciated?

thanks lizzy

I'd do what Hali says. Refer her to the EYFS which wants us to base our planning on the childrens interests, how can you plan for those if you follow a topic which is most likely written weeks ahead of when its needed? Plans should be relevent.

EYFS CDrom says 'Observe, analyse, plan. That would also go for nursery age too.

Hey, we tend not to follow themes in the Baby room (0-2) and concentrate on the childs individual interests or what the keyworkers observe the child enjoying.

In the older room (2-5) we have overriding themes that cover general topics such as People who help us, Ourselves.....

to enhance the childs learning but we do concentrate on the childs individual interests as in the baby room for our continuous provision every day!

We also ask parents for comments about what their child enjoys doing at home, maybe this could be a base for your planning for the 1 yr olds... ie/ Tom loves to bring his teddies from his room and have a picnic on the carpet at home. You could have a teddy bears picnic at nursery and ask the children to bring in their favourite teddy from home.

Hope this may help a little x

'Scuse me, but - isn't there something called 'Birth to three Matters'? Has she seen it?? Why would anyone be planning so rigidly for the youngest??

And before you throw EYFS at me, the principles are essentially the same.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)