Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Microteaching

Hi all i am new on here. I am currently studying BA in early childhood studies, have completed previous to that the foundation degree in early years and education. For one of my modules we have to do a 10 minute microteaching. We are going to get assessed by tutor, and peer group. I am really struggling as to what to do? Can anyone think of a good topic for a 10 minute microteaching session please? It can be on anything- child related or not is personal choice, but i am just really struggling for ideas.

Any suggestions be great.

Thank you

Dee

x x

Hi

welcome from me also will think on about possible subjects .

Andreamay Microteaching is a teaching method whereby the teacher reviews a videotape of the lesson after each session, in order to conduct a "post-mortem". Teachers find out what has worked, which aspects have fallen short, and what needs to be done to enhance their teaching technique. Invented in the mid-1960's at Stanford University by Dr. Dwight Allen, micro-teaching has been used with success for several decades now, as a way to help teachers acquire and hone new skills.

In the original process, a teacher was asked to prepare a short lesson (usually 20 minutes) for a small group of learners who may not have been her own students. This was videotaped, using VHS. After the lesson, the teacher, teaching colleagues, a master teacher and the students together viewed the videotape and commented on what they saw happening, referencing the teacher's learning objectives. Seeing the video and getting comments from colleagues and students provided teachers with an often intense "under the microscope" view of their teaching.

Hi thank you guys, really appreciate your help.

I am not to present it to children but to my peer group from my course and to lecturers

Dee

x x

Hi and thanks Dublinbay! Yes seems like everyone really friendly and supportive on here. Think i have come to the right place!

Dee

x x

:o

Hi Dee, welcome :oxD

I did a microteach for a tutoring course. Mine was on creativity and how all learning can be taught through it. It helps if you really believe what you're talking about. We, enmass, decided not be videoed, we had feedback from all our peers and the tutor though.

I thought my peers were talking about the wrong person when they spoke about confidence, from where I was standing I was sweating and babbling.

Hope it goes well

Thanks Rea. Sounds very interesting One of my modules we are studying this yr is on creativity and its place in the curriculum. I got an assignment on it aswell, looking at theories. If you have any useful links or readings on it i would be very grateful.

Thank you

Dee

x x

If its personal choice, I'm never sure whether this is a good thing or not - sometimes its easier to prepare a topic you've been given!

When I did my adult teacher training our microteach sessions ranged from how playdough delivers the FSC, making a napkin into a swan, giving a hand massage, how to teach the days of the week in Spanish, pruning a bonsai tree and possibly my favourite, using a set of buttons to explain the relationships within a family.

I guess it is down to your own personality. If I had to do a microteach on a childcare related subject I think I would choose something I wanted to know a bit more about or would have an impact on my own provision. What are you particularly interested in - and is there a burning issue in your setting that you'd like to address?

Sorry - not very inspirational, is it??

Maz

Hi, and thanks maz i like your ideas, there are things that you said i didnt even think of! One of the topics im really interested in is gender differences in the way children choose play activities in the classroom, i am doing that for my dissertation. But am unsure on how to do a 10 minute talk on it to the group?

Dee

x[

Hi, and thanks maz i like your ideas, there are things that you said i didnt even think of! One of the topics im really interested in is gender differences in the way children choose play activities in the classroom, i am doing that for my dissertation. But am unsure on how to do a 10 minute talk on it to the group?

Dee

x[

Hi Dee - I'm sure I haven't welcomed you to the Forum. Welcome :o

Perhaps you could present a case study where you discussed the differences between how two children play which either conform to or defy the traditional gender stereotypes/research. If you were allowed to you could illustrate this with photographs and talk about what is going on and why children access activities in the way they do - eg girls preferring to sit at tables and boys preferring to sprawl all over the floor! You could then link the assertions you make about individual children's play to recent research to give it academic rigour.

Just a thought!

Maz

10 minutes can go so fast, or drag on to seem like an hour.

I would suggest that, as other have advised, go with 'your passion', what inspires you will be easier to present to inspire others.

Look at the assessment criteria and using a subject that you are passionate about say what you are going to say, say it, repeat it, then say what you have just said. ( sounds gobbledegook, but it's basically introducing the subject, add a bit more info, consolidate what you have said then conclude what you have said) Use different media to communicate, ie: visual, linguistic, active participation etc.

Choose something you are really familiar with, do some research to add weight to your subject ( and add to your own learning) and stick to the objectives of the task.

A WARM WELCOME TO THE FORUM :o

Have faith in your abilities and just go for it. All your peers will be feeling the same as you and are in the same boat, so relax and enjoy the ride together. xD

Practice the timescales prior to the presentation. If the criteria is about presentation skills then keep the subject simple/familiar, and concentrate on presentation skills rather than content.

GOOD LUCK.

Peggy

Hi, I agree that you have to follow your passion - I did something completely different and talked about snaffle bridles - I explained their use and got everyone to assemble one (it was a bit of a drag taking in 8 bridles though!) Other people did weaving, safe sex (complete with condoms and cucumbers!!!), art history and sugar craft. I think the key is to get the 'audience' interacting rather than sitting passively listening.

I was videoed and found it so useful - a couple of times I felt that I faltered a little but this was not evident on the video and so increased my confidence no end. The only problem I had was the fact that the 'camera adds pounds' and I realised that I needed to actually diet rather than just talking about it!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)