Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Venus Transit Across The Sun

mundia

Not a full moon, or a lunar eclipse, but a pretty rare event.

At 5.20am on Tuesday morning, Venus will transit across the sun for the first time since 1882. This event has only ever been recorded 6 times since the invention of the telescope.

The transit will last until about 11.30 am, and if clear, the whole transit can be seen from the UK.

It goes without saying though, to be safe, dont look directly at the sun, get out those old pin hole projectors, or solar eclipse shades we were all wearing a few years ago.

And if you're working, get creative with the kids! :D

o0o0 that sounds interesting. What happens to the sun then? It's a shame I'm not teaching my class- my PGCE student is, else I'd be doing something with them, if only to go out and see what it looks like!

Nothing obvious happens to the sun Nichola. Venus is tiny in comparison, and a long way away. The only way the transit can be seen is through a specially adapted telescope.

As Mundia says, don't look directly at the Sun, either with your eyes or though binoculars or telescope. The only safe way is via access to someone or an organisation, who can display a projected image, where you should see a small dot moving across the face of the Sun during the hours between about 6.30 and 11.30.

Or you can watch it on tv... :)

For myself, living in the South East, I hope to see it at the Royal Greenwich Observatory at Herstmonceux with my family.

Thanks Mundia, for bringing it to people's attention! :D

not really peeps, My better half would say 'celestially obsessed'

And of course I was still working in GMT so I got the time wrong. Thanks Steve for correcting me on that one. Its 6.20 am til about 12.30pm.

I have got my mirror and my bucket of water at the ready, (.......not lucky enough to live near enough to the RGO), and the forecast is clear skies. :D:D:D:D:D

Steve got us all up at 5.30 and we were on the road at 6 to Herstmonceux. Great morning, and we've just got back. Funny thing, though.....he's gone back to bed and I'm left with the rest of the nursery morning and our two kids........ :D

Think I know waht I'd do Helen..... :o

Glad you enjoyed. I managed to get a pretty neat image to see second contact, but sunlight doesn't do my eyes any favours so I had to watch 3rd and 4th contact via the internet. Pretty impressive pictures though. :D

We took the children outside this morning and I explained to them what we were going to look at.

Then armed with my trusty binoculars and piece of white card I reflected the sun onto the card and .... hey presto it worked!!!!! :o We could see the little black dot clearly!

I haven't got a very steady hand so someone else held the binoculars and I held the card. :(

The children were actually very interested in it (though what they will remember about it I'm not sure but never mind! :)

Thanks for drawing our attention to it!

I'll be far too old to care next time! xD:(:D

OH didn't realise we had go there in 2012. What a disappointment!

I think it must be time for Steve to cook tea, Helen if he's been back to bed!

Did you keep the children out of school? Can't see that going down too well here.