Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children Soiling Themselves

Not sure i have put this in the correct place but hopefully some kind soul will move it for me if it's wrong!

I have 2 children in my class who are soiling themselves. One of them has regulary been messing himself and on occassions has done it ver last thing - not told anyone and has gone home like it. I have spoken to the parent on numerous occassions and they think he is worried about something at school, however we feel he has never been happier at school and we have spoken to him a lot about the issue and he insists he has no wories at school. He says he misses his brother when he is at school his brother is in the juniors. He also says he misses mum's boyfriend when he is at school - and i feel the issue may arise from this as at xmas mums boyfriend went home to family abroad. The boy came into school very upset and confused saying mums boyfriend had left and wasnt coming back. I spoke to mum who explained he had only one home for xmas. I said the child hadn't understood this and it might be worth her haing a chat to explain he was coming back. It is since xmas the soiling has started and i feel he is worried that mums boyfriend wont be there when he gets home. Another child in my class is soiling herself and after numerous discussions wit her the conclusion we have reached is that she is so engrossed in activity she is either forgetting or is too lazy to go to the toilet.

My question is what do i do to stop these children soiling?

Have you tried prompting them during the day, especially the little girl? We have lad who will go all day without going to the toilet but when we tell him to go, he does.

The little lad who is upset at moms boyfriend being away, is different isnt it, and I cant help with that except lots of reasurance, but then what if he does ever leave? Difficult situation, you definitly need mom with you for that one.

Good luck :o

You might need to observe them closely to see when and where they are doing it and whether there are any little clues which might alert staff so that they can be reminded to go to the toilet instead. We had a little girl who would tend to take herself off to the writing table away from others and pretend to be engrossed in drawing when in actual fact she was engrossed in another activity! Once we had identified this it was an easy matter to keep a close eye on her around the time she would usually do it and then intervene quickly and get her to the toilet. Once this habit was broken all was fine and she doesn't do it any more. Good luck.

You have already got some sounds advice that I would have mentioned and that the child still need reminding even at this young age.

Continue with the observing and make sure the staff are all alert to, I know very difficult but the staff do need be vigilant as children do know when same person is watching and maybe when you do get them to go give them a sticker....

Well it feels like all i have done today is remind these children to go to the toilet - but we had no accidents today and children were very happy to have received lots of stickers for going to the toilet so a successful day! i hope for the same tomorrow!!!

I had a child do this last year and from experience of another child doing it I was told that children tend to do it as it is a comfort and warming (sounds gross I know) we encouraged this child to go to the toilet and if he did poo we would ring his mum and ask her to come and change him and this really did the trick!

I had a child do this last year and from experience of another child doing it I was told that children tend to do it as it is a comfort and warming (sounds gross I know) we encouraged this child to go to the toilet and if he did poo we would ring his mum and ask her to come and change him and this really did the trick!

Was this recently? At the risk of opening that debate again, I didn't think you could do this anymore from the inclusion point of view (but perhaps this was from the "not having facilities to change nappies" argument).

Where did the push to get it sorted come from - the parent or the child? Its an interesting psychology, isn't it?

Maz

Was this recently? At the risk of opening that debate again, I didn't think you could do this anymore from the inclusion point of view (but perhaps this was from the "not having facilities to change nappies" argument).

Where did the push to get it sorted come from - the parent or the child? Its an interesting psychology, isn't it?

Maz

This was last year- the head was the one who suggested it- it was more because two members of staff had to deal with the child and on a daily basis of that happening we could not spare the staff!

I'm not sure where the push came from- maybe it was the case he didn't like his mum coming to change him and so didn't do it? who knows.

This child was quite immature for his age and when he first started pre school he still wasn't properly toilet trained and so had a few accidents anyway so maybe that had something to do with it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)