Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing Area

My pre-school room are looking to develop their writing area.

Please can you offer any advice on resourcing it, but mainly on layout and what to have up around it, e.g. different print, etc.

I used to buy arabic newspapers, put up chinese calenders, writing in different fonts found in magazines etc. Pictures and photos of people writing, typing, painting using a whole range of materials and in different situations, office, building site, on the phone, reading a book, shopping list, road signs, time tables. Carbon paper is great, tracing paper (not to trace names, just to use) loads of different sized paper, booklets, note paper, celebration cards, loads of examples of why writing is used. I used a translation site to get examples of languages such as Russian, Japanese, Greek.

I even ripped a page out of a magazine in the GP's surgery because it was interesting xD

Oh I forgot. I make small books out of sugar papaer and fill the apges with words the children will most likely recognise, Sainsburys, tesco, Lego, Power rangers, Barbie etc. It was lovely seeing the childrens faces when they could 'read' the words. :o

We use a veg rack from Argos....filled with paper, scissors, envelopes, tape, pens, pencils, rulers, stencils, magazines, stickers, hole punchers, mini shredders...the list really is endless and it's there for the children to access as and when they like. Have not got any spare walls to put up posters/pictures so made a 'mark making area' mobile and it hangs just above the tables.

Hi,

How about a large display alongside with pictures of their favourite TV/magazine characters. Our children love looking at this and being able to point and 'read' the names of the characters. This does wonders for their self esteem and makes them feel important especially when they have to help me with the names because now my own children are 10 and 15 im afraid im a little out of touch with pre school TV.

Hello,

just to let you all know about a book titled 'A place to learn - Developing a stimulating learning environment' its by Lewisham Early Years Advice and Resource Network). As part of my Professional Development one of my targets is to develop CLL throughout the Foundation Unit that I am working in. I found this book useful as it gives you ideas on resources, providing opportunities to develop skills in other areas and it also shows you pictures which show home made resources which are useful if money is tight.

Hope this is useful. :o

As well as our stationery table with all sorts in it, pens pencils,scissors, hole punches etc. We also have clip boards and paper/pencil at all activities out daily.

So there is one at the cars, construction, dinosaurs, sand, etc etc. The home corner has pencils, diaries, note pads. :o

You just need to be able to provide the opportunity for children to 'write/mark make' whenever they can.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)