Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What To Do?

Thanks Mundia, and thank you to everyone who has replied. I felt like I have been boring everyone around me with what seems like a constant battle with what to do so it's good to get advice from an unbiased audience who have some idea what I am going through.

Sometimes you need to 'talk' to people who understand the issues but who don't really know you and your situation - and we're always here when your friends and family start raising their eyebrows and giving you the "here we go again" face!

Let us know what you decide - and what the Uni says. Somewhere there should be a list of providers, what each one's entry requirements are and what facilities they offer for students who need to 'catch up' or fill gaps in their previous education.

Maz

I don't think you need maths to do a foundation degree but you do need it for teacher training- how strange that some places said you need it?

Our course certainly required us to have a GCSE in maths - but because we were the first cohort they decided to enable us to sit the Level 2 numeracy test during the two year study period.

I think they look for a GCSE in maths and english to point to an underlying standard of academic ability which kind of makes sense. More than a bit of a pain for those of us whose memories of maths lessons at school bring us out in the heebie jeebies!

Maz

I have been reading this and several other posts regarding the need for GCSE's with interest. I have to agree that they are required to show an underlying standard of academic ability. In order to begin the GTP I needed to get GCSE maths I now have 2 GCSE grade d's and a Grade C!

I like others have vast amount of experience, an early years degree and a nursery nursing qualification and yet I still feel that all my O'levels and GCSE's give me a broad academic knowledge that has supported my further education and comes into play in the classroom. Despite it being over 20 years ago I still find myself recalling some fact or okay a mere hint of memory of something I learnt at school.

I have also worked with practitioners who have excellent skills in other areas yet cannot spell or display little knowledge of punctuation and grammer, this has become a problem when they have misspelt annotations on pieces of work that parents or indeed children have noticed and corrected. Whilst I am not saying we need to be perfect and indeed it is valuable for the children to see we do not know everything, I do believe a certain standard of education is required and a bench mark has to be set somewhere.

I struggled with my maths, sweated throughout the on line QTS test yet I am also incredibly proud of myself for sticking with it and highly impressed with those who have had to go even further and gain GSCE's in English, maths and science in order to get to where they want to be.

I still feel it was worth the effort, however I haven't felt the need to introduce the children in my reception class to Mr. Pythagoras!

Sharon

Sometimes you need to 'talk' to people who understand the issues but who don't really know you and your situation - and we're always here when your friends and family start raising their eyebrows and giving you the "here we go again" face!

Let us know what you decide - and what the Uni says. Somewhere there should be a list of providers, what each one's entry requirements are and what facilities they offer for students who need to 'catch up' or fill gaps in their previous education.

Maz

yes very true!

Had a chat with my husband about it again to day and he rolled his eyes and was like well hun if you want to do the maths you have to WANT to do it, I know what your like :o

I called the University of Gloucester who said they do offer an equivalency test at £90 a time but suggested I look at doing it nearer to me.

They have also suggested that I gain more experience in KS1 which I am going to discuss with the head.

Guest cathy m
Thanks Mundia, I will make enquiries - I have only looked at the OU as I am used to the way they work, I will look elsewhere and perhaps enroll on an adult ed. GCSE Maths course in the evenings, it I go for the long pathway I will have 15 months to try and try again!! xD:(

Hi Terri

I also completed the foundation degree with the OU in June 07 and am about to start the BA top up. I did consider the long EYPS route with EM Direct but have decided to gain the BA and then do the short route

Good luck

Cathy :o

Hi Terri

I did consider the long EYPS route with EM Direct but have decided to gain the BA and then do the short route

Good luck

Cathy :o

A wise move Cathy! I'm currently doing the BA and the long pathway EYPS - can be a bit hectic!

Maz

Following on from earlier I had a long chat with the equivalency testing company this afternoon (which the University of Glouscester referred me to) and am seriously looking at this option. I downloaded all the information for it and have discussed it with work colleagues as well, who believe it to be more realsitic for me to achieve.

I had a chat with my husband and he said 'well we would have to get you a desk' :o (so thats a good sign!) I'm just a bit worried about sitting an exam BUT the good thing about this is that I would be able to sit the exams at school as they would send the papers there so at least would be in familar surroundings. This makes me feel a bit better. Also the prospect of doing it in 12 weeks is somewhat enlightening and means that I may be able to retain the information for longer than a few weeks.

I also spoke to my head about gaining more KS1 experience in the summer term which would not only benefit me but also the KS1 teacher would be gaining more experience in the early years and she is looking into when would be the best time in the term for this to happen.

It's still early days at the moment but already I am feeling like I am getting somewhere instead of feeling like doors are shutting in my face.

There is more than one option out there for those of us that want to further our careers within early years care and education but I do feel that we don't always get the full options unless we ask!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)