Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sad Loss Of A Child In My Class

Hello Everyone,

I'm so sorry to come to you all with such sad news but I could really do with some help, support and guidance from you. Very sadly last Wednesday a little girl (4yrs) in my F2 class passed away. As you can imagine this has been extremely hard for everone who knew her both at home and at school. We have had to try and be strong for our children in our class as they have needed lots of hugs and support etc.

It is her funeral on Friday and her parents have asked the school to say a few words and for the children to sing a song. Has anyone any ideas of a nice poem that we could read? We want it to be a celebration of her life rather than a sad one. I was thinking of asking the children to sing Twinkle Twinkle because that is what the children think she has now become.

I would be extremely grateful for any help and support because as you can appreciate this is a very difficult time for myself and all of my staff.

Many thanks

Boogie

Oh Boogie, my heart goes out for the family, school and you.

I did a google search and found this site, hope you can find something suitable which helps.

Poems

Peggy

Hello,

I am so sorry to hear such sad news, my thoughts are with you and the children in your class. I have some lovely poem books in school so will have a look tomorrow and post any I think may be good. As far as singing twinkle, twinkle I think that would be lovely.

Best wishes

Vikkim

Hello Everyone,

I'm so sorry to come to you all with such sad news but I could really do with some help, support and guidance from you. Very sadly last Wednesday a little girl (4yrs) in my F2 class passed away. As you can imagine this has been extremely hard for everone who knew her both at home and at school. We have had to try and be strong for our children in our class as they have needed lots of hugs and support etc.

It is her funeral on Friday and her parents have asked the school to say a few words and for the children to sing a song. Has anyone any ideas of a nice poem that we could read? We want it to be a celebration of her life rather than a sad one. I was thinking of asking the children to sing Twinkle Twinkle because that is what the children think she has now become.

I would be extremely grateful for any help and support because as you can appreciate this is a very difficult time for myself and all of my staff.

Many thanks

Boogie

When Tomorrow Starts Without Me

( David Romano )

When tomorrow starts without me

and I'm not here to see...

If the sun should rise and find your

eyes filled with tears for me,

I wish so much you wouldn't cry

the way you did today...

While thinking of the many things

we didn't get to say.

I know how much you love me,

as much as I love you...

And each time you think of me,

I know you'll miss me, too.

But when tomorrow starts without me,

please try to understand...

That Jesus came and called my name

and took me by the hand,

And said my place was ready

in heaven far above...

And that I'd have to leave behind

all those I dearly love.

So when tomorrow starts without me,

don't think we're far apart...

For every time you think of me,

I'm right here in your heart.

So sorry to hear your sad news one of our older children died in the summer and his friends read this poem

Guest tinkerbell

Oh Boogie what a sad time for you and the class.

Twinkle twinkle sounds appropriate to me as it is a song your class knows.

When a little boys baby sister died last year ,the class talked about it openly and about death that they had witnessed,they set to work making cards for the family.they would 'chat' about the baby to the little boy who would talk openly about it.

I think to talk and be open is so natural for young children.

Perhaps they could think of a memorial in school for her...a tree in the garden or a frienship bench?

this may come later.

Tinkerbellx

Edited by tinkerbell

and, instead of a poem, what about the childs favourite story?There may be a short one which the family would associate with her, rather than a poem,as there may be several poems about loss read out at the service?(It might be 'easier' for the reader too, since poems about loss often lead to tears during the reading?).Whatever you decide, I'm sure her family will appreciate the fact that you cared enough to be there and to say/sing something.It's such a sad thing to happen,and I feel for you all.I think you're right about lots of hugs and cuddles for your class and to let them talk about the childs death if they want to.................we, as a culture treat death as such a taboo subject, that it can be a terrifying idea for children.One little girl at our group, after my father died, and she saw me crying one day asked me if she would die too, and I explained that ALL living things will eventually die, but for people, it's usually when they are old (her own experience was of her grandfather's death, so it was an appropriate comment at the time).For your children, they may be scared that they too are going to die,so I'd be prepared with answers for those kind of questions. Good luck,and i think Twinkle twinkle is a lovely idea.

Life is very sad at times like these I cried just reading the poem.

Have you got any special pictures that the little girl did or any observations were she said something that might be typically her.

( you know when you think of someone and sometimes something pops into your head).

I thought this might be nice in a frame for her parents after.

Or maybe get the children to paint a picture of the little girl and then frame one for her parents,

sorry cant offer any other help, just wanted to say our prayers are with you and her family.

Thank you so much everyone for your kindness. I like the idea of the story. L**** had a great sense of humour and I can think of several books straight away that she enjoyed.

I am so grateful for all of your support.

Thanks agian

Boogie x

I too am sorry to hear your sad news. The poem made me cry too.

Don't know if this website will be of any use to you.

Childhood Bereavement Network has a pack of professional development materials which are downloadable free from the website - Not too young to Grieve (2006)

www.childhoodbereavementnetwork.org.uk

With best wishes

Hi Boogie, many hugs.

Take care of yourselves especially this week when things are still so raw.

I was a supply teacher with a group of nursery children and when a young boy died. The children coped really well, probably better than the staff. They had a circle time when they lit a candle and thought about the child and all the things they had enjoyed in one another's company. The children were all asked to say something which the staff wrote down and gave to the parents along with a box of paintings, photos etc.

so sorry to hear that - awful..

i used this one for my nan in June ...

God looked around his Garden and found an empty place.

He then looked down upon his earth and saw your loving face.

He put his arms around you and lifted you to rest.

His Garden must be beautiful, he always takes the best.

He knew that you were suffering, he knew you were in pain.

And knew that you would never get well on earth again.

He saw your path was difficult, he closed you tired eyes,

He whispered to you "Peace be Thine" and gave you wings to fly.

When we saw you sleeping so calm and free of pain,

We would not wish you back to earth to suffer once again.

You've left us precious memories, your love will be our guide,

You live on through your children, you're always by our side.

It broke our hearts to lose you, but you did not go alone.

For part of us went with you on the day God called you home

how very very sad :o My thoughts are with you all at this difficult time.

I like the idea of twinkl twinkle too!! as it is somthing the children will all beable to join in with

if it isnt to hard what a bout a big star on a stick with perhaps their friends photo on it whcih someone could hold up while they sing or if you feel thats to much just a twinkiling star?will understand if you think its not appropriate as only you know how everyone will percieve it.

Andrea X

I am sorry to hear these news :o and I must say that all the ideas are great.

Maybe start with the one of these lovely 2 poems or her favourite story. Then show some of her work or dially photos of her at school (via PowerPoint or just a big poster). Finally, you can send a star shaped ballon up to the air, with the photos of her classmates on it, while they sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"? It could represent all the love that her classmates are sending her, thanking her for all the beautiful moments shared and that they will keep in their hearts forever.

Thank you again to everyone for your thoughts and ideas. L**** parents wanted us all to let go of a balloon after the ceremony so I really like the idea of a star shaped one.(Thank you SmileyPR) There are such lovely ideas that you have shared I just hope I'm strong enough to hold my emotions together.

x

So sorry to hear this sad news - I wasn't brave enough to read any of the poems and I love Narnia's idea of reading a story - much easier for the reader, I think.

I would just like to send you my love and hope that you are all able to get as much support as you need in this very difficult time.

Maz

My heart goes out to you having this just before Christmas when all should be happy etc.

We had to deal with the death of a child in the Pre-school 2 years ago and during the church service her family called her their "little butterfly". During the summer we hatched our own butterflies and released them with the parents and children in memory of her. As we are in the church hall the vicar said a short prayer and although sad it was a beautiful way of remebering her.

Hope it helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)