Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Observation Recording Sheets

spent PPA time cutting and pasting for observation recording sheets for 22 monthsto 60+ months. Have to take time of today as well as my 8 year old son Luke has the dreaded stomach bug. So I'm very busy logged in to the FSF! have attatched the sheets if any body is interested.

I have decided to begin to use them( as I am now in charge of Foundation) even though we were informed on the induction day not to use the EYFS if you are expecting Ofsted, as on the Ofsted site it suggests you begin to use parts of the EYFS but not the standards.

obs_recording.doc

We've done the same as this at our school. Has anyone started to fill it in? We've started and the Nursery are finding it very time consuming. Is this the best way? we can't think of an alternative but it just seems to take forever.

spent PPA time cutting and pasting for observation recording sheets for 22 monthsto 60+ months. Have to take time of today as well as my 8 year old son Luke has the dreaded stomach bug. So I'm very busy logged in to the FSF! have attatched the sheets if any body is interested.

I have decided to begin to use them( as I am now in charge of Foundation) even though we were informed on the induction day not to use the EYFS if you are expecting Ofsted, as on the Ofsted site it suggests you begin to use parts of the EYFS but not the standards.

Thank you very much - a great help to my setting :o

I'm sorry to be dense but could someone tell me if we need to be tracking Reception children through all of those statements. Isn't the FSP or, to give it it's proper title from next year: the EYFSP, the only evidence we are duty bound to keep and record attainment against? ie. the early learning goals. Freaking now people - put my mind at rest please!

Gosh, you have put a lot of work into compiling this obs document. My comment would be how manageable is it at 33 pages per child? Please hear, that is not intended as a criticism but I could not afford the staff time to complete this, nor do I think my staff would do it willingly.

At the moment I intend to stick with our existing paperwork and am eagerly awaiting the suggested EYFS format that our LEA are in the middle of producing. They have the knack of keeping the paperwork to a minimum and making it as manageable as possible. I'll keep you all posted when it arrives. If I can, I will ask their permission to share examples with you too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Congratulations on your new post, and thanks for the work you shared. I am actually in the same situation as you. I got appointed as Head of Foundation/KS1 in a special school(Autistic/Profound multiple learning difficulties/ complex needs).

Settling in well, but trying to understand what 'assessment/momitoring' tool to use for Foundation stage children that will link in with the new curriculum for Sep 2008. Will use P levels for KS1.

Have done some research and came across 'Pathways' Early Years Development Profile. Has anybody out there used this before? This resource is said to be linked to the new EYFS

Hope you can help! : :o

P.S. Can somebody help me with a sample of a Long term Plan for Foundation

Chali

I have heard about these Pathways before but on searching myself have discovered all sorts but nothing that I actually want to know!! Could you let me have the web address please.

We are in the process of adapting our record keeping for the children and thought these might be appropriate.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just looked at the Tracker 0-5 as suggested.How on earth would you manage a book for each child when I am responsible for 78 FS1 children?

I am looking for a manageble medium term plan if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

Sandy

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for this resource, it is great that you are willing to share it.

I was beginning this cutting and pasting task in the new year!

Thanks again

Claire :o

HI I WORK IN A DAY NURSERY IN A CHILDRENS CENTRE AND WE ARE BEGINNING NOW TO TRANSFER TO EYFS BUT WE STILL HAVE NO IDEA ON HOW TO ASSESS IN ACCORDANCE FOR OUR PROFILES. WE HAVE WELL ESTABLISHED BIRTH TO THREE PROFILES BUT CANT SEEM TO FIND ANY INFORMATION AS OF YET ON HOW YOU WOULD PROFILE THE CHILDREN IN ACCORDANCE TO EYFS

ANY IDEAS?

Guest Wolfie

How are your Birth to Three Profiles organised and compiled? You'll probably find that it'll just be a question of tweaking what you already do rather than having to make more major changes. :o

Welcome to the forum, himsher!

I agree with Wolfie - it all depends what your BTTM trackers look like. Best to keep things looking as similar as possible to what you work with already so that it won't look too confusing and different!

Maz

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Wolfie - how are your birth to three profiles organised - trying to come up with suggestions for my settings. I saw somewhere an example of a record that had the photo of the child and then boxes to record the observation with headings to organise the comments and then a what next type box on it - unless I have dreamt it?

Any ideas?

Our profiles now look the same whatever the age of the baby/child - with observations, photos, etc. compiled under the six areas of the EYFS. I'm also in the middle of trialling a planned observation sheet that I designed, where you record a few short observations of a target child, link those observations to the relevant aspects of the six areas of learning and from that draw up a very simple spider plan showing what next for that child. I'll let yu know how the trail goes!!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Just replying to an earlier question about how manageable 33 pages are per child and whether people are assessing all of the EYFS statements. We use 'step by step' (not sure if this is local or national document) which has the ELGs and spaces to write in observations and evidence. Suffolk LEA are designing a similar one incorporating the EYFS statements, will let you know if it is any good when I get a copy....not sure how long that will be. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Reply to Moose's comments. A few years ago I had a very heated debate with the ey advisor for my county because I was using a profile sheet - downloaded from here as a basis for recording. She became very angry because she felt I was not tracking children against stepping stones and early learning goals and said that the profile was a summative assessment which should only be used at the end of FS. I argued that planning from FSGuidance and then using profile for assessment was OK. The counter argument ran that the profile does not cover the Early Learning Goals, so saddo and stubborn person that I am I cross-referenced one against the other and discovered a few amalgamated statemens and a couple that were either extras or not present (Don't remember now and can't put my hand on my notes. Our county's electronic tracker has both profile and stepping stones and early learning goals versions that could be used. Advisor also said if one used the latter it would be very quick to decide at end of year how many points the child's record equated to. My concern is that any system put in place needs to be manageable. I would rather I and LSA were interacting with children during school. I already spend a great deal of time outside of school updating records and don't want this to be any heavier than it is.

AOB

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)