Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Health & Safety Legislation

Arrgh! Spent 3 hours last night on H&S course and am now trying to get my head around all the things I need to do (in my spare time of course!!). One is COSHH. I want to list all the cleaning materials we have in nursery, handsoaps, washing up liquid, anti-bac spray etc. Apparently you then ring the manufacturer and they send you the coshh analysis info which you duly file in your dedicated coshh file......

Anyone got a data hazard sheet to start me off?

Also, a list of all the things you have included in yours.........

Thanks

Edited by Guest

The companies I spoke to - Tesco's and I think it was Unilever - cannot quite remember were really helpful - knew exactly what we wanted and emailed me a copy of their stuff. I think I emaield them and it came back within a week. I just keep them filed under a section in Keeping Children safe marked up hazardous materials in nursery - not too sure what else we need to do. We now try and buy the same stuff so we dont have a problem. I dont have a hazardous sheet as I just put all the copies of the date sheets on these materials in this section and I am sure it will suffice but would be interested to hear from others.

Nikki

Might just add - we do have a written statement on when and how we use them and what to do if someone accidently has an accident. What I did not put in this was "please remember to make sure that when using the spray bacterial cleaner that you spray away from your face" seems fairly obvious until one of my staff - clearly having a bad menopausal day decided to spray it directly into her face - why - who knows - no damage though fortunately but jsut goes to show you never can be too careful.

Nikki

Might just add - we do have a written statement on when and how we use them and what to do if someone accidently has an accident. What I did not put in this was "please remember to make sure that when using the spray bacterial cleaner that you spray away from your face" seems fairly obvious until one of my staff - clearly having a bad menopausal day decided to spray it directly into her face - why - who knows - no damage though fortunately but jsut goes to show you never can be too careful.

Nikki

I confess to doing this (although in my case I only anti-bacd my sleeve). Some days my co-ordination is shot to hell. Good job I'm not a firearms officer...

Maz

Thanks for the info! Bang goes my half term!!

Nikki, a long time ago our inspector told us to spray the cloths, not the surfaces especially, if near the children so I might add that to our advice too.