Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Implementing The Eyfs

Hey everyone,

Im new to the foundation stage forum, ive found all the topics very interesting and useful.

I have a query to put to people, Im working in a nursery in staffordshire where we have researched the eyfs and I feel we have enough knowledge to start implementing the eyfs within the planning and profiles. However our advisor has told us not to even though we have researched it well. I was just wondering if any of you have started implementing any of the aspects relating to the eyfs.

Replies would be greatly appreciated

we hve started implementing the EYFS are advisor said this would be ok as we had been Ofsteded recently and would have time to get to grips with the framework without worrying about an inspection.

Guest Wolfie

We're in the same position as belle06 - Ofsted have been recently and we now want to make some changes and do some tweaking to planning and assessment systems in line with the EYFS rather than work with B23 and Foundation Stage and have to change it again in six months time. I've been given the green light with that........

Hi Abbey,

Welcome to the forum. I am not in England so don't take my word but it seems to me that if you have researched it thoroughly then there is no reason why you shouldn't be starting to implement parts of it. Most members seem to agree that very little will change in any case, so perhaps a few tweaks here and there will see you well on your way. :o

Thanks for all you replies, helps to know others are starting to implement it, were due an ofsted inspection soon so i think Ill leave it until theyve been then change bits

Whilst you are waiting maybe you could show them just how on the ball you are by cross referencing some areas of the EYFS to this - I think I read somewhere that they have introduced a September start date so that everyone will have time to get on board with it and know what it is all about - so realistically you could start looking at it now and maybe using some bits from it already. It would show that you are looking at your practice and how you link it all togehter

Nikki

We are a nursery and we are waiting for a person who has good knowledge of the new eyfs to come out to our setting and give us lots of info and ideas on how we all can use same planning from birth to 4 years, money is from the transformation fund

Guest Wolfie

So you're paying someone on a consultancy basis to come and advise you? How did you find the person - do they advertise?

I wouldn't have thought that was strictly necessary - as I see it there is really very little difference to how we are working at the moment, if you have regard to play and a child-centred approach. Standards, BTTM and FS have been amalgamated into one document is the major difference, and really planning shouldn't change much. Just be aware of the ages of the children and don't be too formal.

Or maybe you all disagree?

Sue

Guest Wolfie

No, I'm with you on that one Sue! I can't wait to get started with the new framework and can only see advantages to having just one document. The underlying principles and philsophy of good practice obviously remains the same so no-one should have to make major changes to their existing practice....unless those changes are needed anyway.... :o

Edited by Wolfie

One wit presenting our EYFS introductory course pointed out the '80% recycled' which is printed in the right hand corner of all the cards, on the poster etc. She said EYFS is 80% recycled, which it is! There isn't a lot that is totally new really, its just come under one umbrella!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, am new to the site but am dead impressed. As far as practice goes the EYFS remains the same as ever but the only thing to be aware of is the Welfare Requirements. There are massive implications for nursery and Reception classes based in schools. For example the need for Food Hygiene qualifications to serve snack and do food prep, paediatric First Aid requirements, the need for a full-time qualified teacher, check it carefully! We are also gonna have to make changes to our policies such as health and safety, child protection, etc.

I cant wait to get started too!! We are having a meeting next week and then gonna start to implement it, ive just changed the words on my planning sheets and added more childrens interests activities really, not much else needs to change,

iam so excited!!!x :o

Hi, am new to the site but am dead impressed. As far as practice goes the EYFS remains the same as ever but the only thing to be aware of is the Welfare Requirements. There are massive implications for nursery and Reception classes based in schools. For example the need for Food Hygiene qualifications to serve snack and do food prep, paediatric First Aid requirements, the need for a full-time qualified teacher, check it carefully! We are also gonna have to make changes to our policies such as health and safety, child protection, etc.

You are quite right to point that out! I have started using development matters for planning so we are familiar with language used by September, but the issues about welfare will have more impact on our practice.

I have tried to find development matters stages online to enable me to cut and paste but no luck yet.Anyone managed to find?

Have you tried the CD disk in the pack?

I imagine it all on the EYFS site too, I've managed to cut and paste lots - but don't ask me how I did it!!!!!!!!!

I know some people have said they have trouble with the disk - if so, look for a very thin yellow band at the top of the page - just under the toolbar- it gives a warning about using disks etc..(or something like that).. just follow instructions to proceed.

xxx

Hi,

I have started to implement the EYFS with my new children. We have also been advised not to but I have yet to do anything that I am told !!!!!

net x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)