Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Brilliant Book

Hi, I've just bought 'Shhh!' by Sally Grindley and Peter Utton. It's the best money I've spent in ages. Our children have asked for it every day for the last two weeks and at every reading they have sat in quiet anticipation at being caught by the giant. Parents are telling us their children keep talking about the giant at playgroup. It is such a fun book, scarey but safe, with times to be quiet and times to talk. I'm buying the Gruffalo next, hope it has the same effect. :o

I love the Gruffalo (don't know Shhh). The Guffalo is available in Big BooK format. The green wart on the end of the nose - great amusement!

Diane.

My two bigger ones used to have Shhh! when they were little and loved it. Thanks for reminding me of a great book rea. :) We have the Gruffalo at home and I really enjoy reading it. Well worth getting. :o

I have to agree with others about the Gruffalo. I've just done it as my big book for the week with my class and they LOVE it! I also read to them other stories by Julia Donaldson (author) and they really enjoyed them too, especially Room on the Broom. I'd definately reccommend them.

"Shhh" is certainly a favourite in our preschool. Some children will go from from one member of staff to another asking for it to be read! They really become involved with the story.

• 1 year later...

This book has been a firm favourite with children in every nursery I take it to, with everyone calling it the 'giant book'.This morning I was watching a little boy reading it to himself and noticed that whereas a few weeks ago his language was very poor, he now makes a 'sh' sound and 'B' sound (you have to shout 'Boo' at the end), before he made a 'd' sound (dod the duilder) I definitly think it has been because of this book which he never puts down. Shame it's my last day tomorrow, I'd love to see if he goes further with it.

Has anyone else seen a particular book have a such an effect?

Never heard of 'Shhh' and our children love the Gruffalo. However, their favourite is the sequel to that, The Gruffalo's Child. They ask for it all the time!

I read 'Sophie's Masterpeice' to the children again today, and it still brings a lump to my throat! a beautiful story that holds the children's attention all the way through to the end.

They always promise not to kill spiders after we have read it! :D

I recently bought The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo's Child, which most of the children enjoyed - except one little boy, who at the end of TGC said (with a cross look on his face) "I didn't like that story Miss Hammett!" :o Oops! I think he perhaps found it a little scary - perhaps my reading was a little over-zealous!

Bless, Chocolate Girl! Our children preferred TGC to TG and whenever we get the first one out, they protest and complain, so we end up reading TGC first and then TG after!

• 5 months later...

While Shhh! is an excellent book, I have to admit to being completly fed up with it, does anyone know of a similar book? Something a bit scarey, with loads to look at, with children participation needed. Books I've tried lately are...

Gruffalo

I dont like peas

Dont forget the bacon

Beware of the Bears

But still the children ask for the Giant book and have loads of fights about whos turn it is :o

We have a great one at pre-school that the children love-I think it's called Don't open the book. Or something like. We are not in at the moment but I can find out properly for you when I call in this weekend. There is a mouse and he keeps telling you not to turn the page as there is something really scary in the book.

It's not a very long book, in fact I think it may be part of a reading scheme so somebody else may recognise the story. I will find out for you though Rea.

Linda

there is always the bear hunt,

our children clap a rhythm to the words, while repeating each line twice,

join in with the actions of over under through

and when it gets to the cave I give a lot of imagination and add to the story by closing eyes, hands out, what do you feel, reach up high then down low soft and furry wet sharp etc and of course lots of screaming when we realise it is a bear,

Clapping for running back, remembering where you have been, (not always as the book they know it so well they make up thier own sequence and add own ideas as we go through the story) who has the key to the door, who forgot to shut it, who will close it with a bang, jump into bed and all lay down quietly to finish.

trouble is... yes youve guessed it ...once you start they want it every day!! :o

A great ame for outdoors as well using the actions and lots of running!!

Inge

I love Drat that Fat Cat and the Bear under the Stairs is great fro dealing with cary nights when you cant sleep.

Just want to add Dirty Bertie for all those nose picking moments- funny how after reading the story all children think that picking their nose is revolting and that they never ever do that (unlike Dirty Bertie)- great pictures and nose picking isn't the only revolting habit dealt with!

Lisa

At the moment our children are really into 'The little mouse, the red ripe strawberry and the big hungry bear ' - we've got it in BIG book format and the illustrations are wonderful - always something new for them to notice and nice simple words to join in with - also easy to get props to support the story and I love the way it introduces basic maths...."cut it in two, share half with me" - It's brilliant. There is also a Christmas story using the mouse and the bear which I'm hoping we can get for christmas but can't remember what it's called.

our children favourites to listen to are

2-4 years old

dr suess stories e.g cat in the hat

pass the jam jim

dear zoo

walking through the jungle

mister magnolia

hungry caterpillar

not now bernard

owl babies

handas surprise

the list goes on :D

Oh for the days of browsing in a bookshop without the children saying 'I want/need this book'! I always end up giving in and buying them books and not myself. I think it's because as children we never had many books of our own so I tend to over compensate now. Neither can I bare part with any books so it's a good job we're all bookworms! :o

Karri

Guest MaryEMac

Our children love the Gruffalo series especially 'A squash and a squeeze'. they are all good for a group reading session.

Mary

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rea

Sorry it has taken me so long to find this book-it was hidden away on the wrong shelf and I just found it today!

The book is called "Do Not Open This Book!" and is written by Joy Cowley. the publishers are The Wright Group-no website I'm afraid. I bought ours at Madeleine Lyndley's which is a big book store for teachers just near Oldham-I did a search on there but was unsuccessful. The ISBN is 0-7802-9431-9. Had a quick search elsewhere but no results-but you may have more luck.

Our children love it as there is so much anticipation.

Linda

Hi Rea

Sorry it has taken me so long to find this book-it was hidden away on the wrong shelf and I just found it today!

The book is called "Do Not Open This Book!" and is written by Joy Cowley. the publishers are The Wright Group-no website I'm afraid. I bought ours at Madeleine Lyndley's which is a big book store for teachers just near Oldham-I did a search on there but was unsuccessful. The ISBN is 0-7802-9431-9. Had a quick search elsewhere but no results-but you may have more luck.

Our children love it as there is so much anticipation.

Linda

Hey Linda thanks for the information on a new book shop, I didn't know it exsited! :o I only live over the boarder and didn't know it was there, maybe I will look into it more and visit for college books. Thanks for the information. :D

Beth

Hi Beth

You can look at the website here if you want to see what they are all about before visiting. I would suggest you give yourself at least half a day if you should decide to visit-it is a wonderful place and needs some time to have a look around.

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)