Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Up Todate Vacinations

tess

Hi can any one help?

A member of staff has just updated her first aid and the trainer has stated " we should have a policy of not admitting any one who has not had all their vacinations", because if we do we are putting our pregnant parents at risk and all our other children.

This sounds very harsh and impractical.

We do ask for details of vacinations on our registration form, but we certainly don't ban children whose are not up todate - would this not be discrimantion and go against inclusive practice. It is obviously recommended by health agencies are vacinated, but with all the various scares surrounding MMR - it is a parents choice after all.

Also how would we prove they have had the injections - start checking the childs health records!!! - We are not really in a position to turn people away either.

What do you do and how do you feel about this....

I updated my training earlier in the year and I was NOT given this information.

If you ask me it's P.C. gone barmey again.

I agree with you, you can't disriminate against a child just because they haven't had their injections. Pregnant woman will be at risk where ever they go, so I don't see how you can do anything about that.

I would and will continue to admit all children with or without injections upto date.

I suppose you could just put a note out saying that not all children in the setting may have had there injections and that pregnant woman may be at risk. Although that may only cause panic.

Tricky one. Why don't you contact your mentor teacher or link officer who may be able to find out more info for you. :o

A child at playgroup hadnt had the MMR because mom was scared of the risks and wouldnt have it done, so I just made sure there were lots of info leaflets on the notice board, but it was decided it was her choice and until there was ultimate proof that the MMR was safe/unsafe we couldnt have a say on it.

its sounds barmy, pregnant mothers are at as much risk walking around the shops , or sitting next to a child on the bus/train and we dont ban children from shopping centres or public transport and we certainly dont tell mothers-to-be to stay at home for 9 months just in case

if your worried then maybe write something in your welcome/ enrolment information making parents aware that there is a slight risk or maybe put a general note on the noticeboard but I think excluding a child who hasnt been immunised is OTT

its annoying to think about, whats the point of allowing parents the freedom to choose when a first aid trainer feels they have the right to tell providers discriminate against a parents choices???

Hi can any one help?

A member of staff has just updated her first aid and the trainer has stated " we should have a policy of not admitting any one who has not had all their vacinations", because if we do we are putting our pregnant parents at risk and all our other children.

It would be interesting to run this by your Early Years team - I wonder what they would think about this? Sounds like one of those 'urban myths' to me - but really these training providers should be vetted thoroughly to make sure they all sing from the same hymn sheet, as it were. Can you imagine the uproar if we started excluding children who haven't had vaccinations?

Sometimes you come across a trainer who has a particular axe to grind (and I will confess to quite a few 'soapbox' moments in the courses I've taught!) but really this sounds like it has gone too far. I'd also be inclined to contact the training provider and ask if this is really the policy they are advocating - if not they really need to make sure this isn't said again.

Off my soapbox now!

Maz

I must say that I am one of those annoying people who question anything that is put forward, particularly if I disagree with it. xD I definitely never blindly believe all that is told to me, even from qualified trainers, early years advisor's, inspectors........! As we all know, there is lots of conflicting advice being bandied about and if we tried to follow all of it we would tie ourselves up in knots. I am a great believer in common sense and am apt to argue my point until the other person caves in. :o:(

I must say that I am one of those annoying people who question anything that is put forward, particularly if I disagree with it. xD I definitely never blindly believe all that is told to me, even from qualified trainers, early years advisor's, inspectors........! As we all know, there is lots of conflicting advice being bandied about and if we tried to follow all of it we would tie ourselves up in knots. I am a great believer in common sense and am apt to argue my point until the other person caves in. :o:(

If the Foundation Degree has taught me anything, most of all it is to question everything - most especially when people say "all the research shows" but then can't back it up with the 'who, when and where' information about the research they 'quote'!

I'm apt to see things from both sides of an argument, and say "ah but what about...." to provoke discussion. You may have noticed :(

My 'urban myth' childcare forum is coming up - perhaps this is another one to ask. I had a list of questions to ask somewhere, if only I could find it!

Maz

Here, here, to common sense.

My foster child does not have a medical record to say if she has or has not had all her immunisations, where would she stand? She has been excluded from too much already in her short life.

What happens when they go to school, does the 'mandatory' part of education cease to exist if jabs are not current?

and yes I agree also that trainers have a responsibility NOT to spread urban myths, yes suggest these issues are considered but not to state we MUST carry out any particular practice unless of course it is a legal requirement.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)