Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Focus Activity Sheet

I have just finished putting together a focus activity sheet as part of my DPP assignment. Thought I would share it and I would welcome any comments as I'm new to this planning thing and I'm not sure whether I'm getting it right.

Sally

Blank_Focus_Plan.xls

Looks good to me too - the only suggestion I would make is that you might want to refer to "stepping stones" instead of or as well as the ELGs, depending on what is appropriate for your group of children -remember that the ELGs are targets for the end of reception rather than whilst children are in pre-school settings. Just a thought! :o

As I'm working to stepping stones it would probably be better to refer to them and not ELGs. Thanks for that Wolfie. Does planning get easier with practice? I've found it really hard going - for my DPP I have to produce 5 focus activity plans and a medium term plan. When I started, my tutor told us to pick a topic and plan around it but I found that approach too restricting as it was hard to incorporate individual chidren's interests or incidental learning. My tutor does not agree with me and has told me that I should plan around a topic to make life easier. As I've read from others on the forum, my understanding is that Ofsted wants settings to move away from 'topics' and plan more flexibly. What is a poor student to do?

Sally

I know I had the same problem with my planning module for my DPP.

After lots of e-mails with my tutor, I was advised to submit a "fake plan" for my assignment, but to carry on my planning at pre-school as I normally do.

It was "pants" took me ages and I did feel a bit of a fraud - but my fake plan that I never used got an "A" - so someone liked it.

And Ofsted liked my planning when we were visited in March.

That's exactly what I've ended up doing - a plan for my assignment and one to actually use. I suppose it's all about learning how to pass an exam and the real learning starts once you've passed. Everyone on my course has a different way that their setting does planning. Some of them hardly do any at all. I also feel like a bit of a fraud as my tutor has advised us to 'tweak' our profiles and play plans to fit the medium term planning.

Well done for getting an A. I know how much work is involved in this unit and if you did 2 plans then that's even more!

Sally

I can understand what you're both saying and see your reasoning for doing something to please the examiners but feel sad that your tutor wants you to produce planning which probably does not meet the needs of the children in your setting - and the principles of the EYFS - as much as the format of the plans that you WANTED to produce! It sounds as though he/she is being resistant to change for the sake of an easy life herself! Anyway, good on you for being up to date with current developments and practice in the area of curriculum planning - keep hold of those principles, you're obviously a great practitioner and we need you! :o

Edited by Wolfie

Hi Mustangsally

Our focus plans are very similar to yours, and passed our Ofsted inspection this week.

The only difference is that we do not have a H&S section, we have a 'changes to planning' section where, for example if it snowed we would bin our focus activity so the children could go outside and build snowmen all day.

The inspector thought this was great and showed that we are flexible in our planning.

That's a great idea. I like the fact that you can plan not to plan! Well done on the ofsted inspection.

We had an inspection just after I started my placement last year. In the setting where I am a volunteer, they do not use individual profiles so there was a mad panic to produce some paperwork for the inspectors. Like my assignment, it seemed a bit false to me as I haven't seen any regular observations done since.

Sally

It sounds to me as though you could help your setting develop in a lot of very effective ways, Sally! You sound like a very great asset to the group to me!!! :o

It sounds to me as though you could help your setting develop in a lot of very effective ways, Sally! You sound like a very great asset to the group to me!!! :o

I agree Wolfie - where do you live Sally...?

Maz

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I live in worcestershire and as I mentioned on another thread, I was offered a job during the hols with a local preschool. I gratefully accepted and couldn't wait to start. Unfortunately, a few days before I was due to begin I had a phone call from the supervisor telling me that the hours they confirmed at interview and the hourly rate were wrong. They were very sorry about the mix up and presumed that it wasn't a problem. Wage went from £5.60 to £5.35 - no big deal I could live with that although I was a bit miffed. It was the change in hours which really annoyed me. I went for the job as it was to start at 9.15am and it fitted around taking my kids to school. I was then told that whoops we made a mistake, did we say 9.15, we meant 8.30. No good for me so I've had to decline their kind if somewhat ill informed offer. The supervisor was quite put out.

So I'm back to my volunteering until I finish my DPP in December. After that who knows? I have to say I'm a bit disillusioned with it all at the moment. I am 43 years old and have 4 children of my own. I really wanted to do something that I enjoyed and that could make a difference while fitting around my family committments. I really love my course and I'm full of enthusiasm to put into practice what I've learned. The supervisor at the preschool where I volunteer has already told me that I'm an idealist and that 'it doesn't work like that in the real world' whenever I have made any suggestions ie. self registration, less adult led activities and more free choice. I think she thinks I'm a bit dippy. I see myself as someone who wants to try and do the best they can. I've never been one to blindly follow if I think there is another (better or just different) way of doing something.

Sorry, this has turned into a bit of a rant. I feel much better now.

Sally

You rant as much as you like, it feels good doesn't it!

That's a real shame about the job, I don't blame you feeling miffed! You expect the information given to you at an interview to be correct, don't you? But please don't give up and PLEASE keep believing in your early years principles and what you know is good practice - your current supervisor may not agree with your ideas but there ARE groups out there that do. You only have to browse the posts and threads on here to find people as passionate as you about early years and I'm sure that some of them must be in Worcestershire!! Self registration and more free choice isn't living in the real world???? Hmmm.

Oh, and you're a spring chicken...like myself.... :o ....and a worthwhile and fulfilling career and job and childcare is waiting for you just round the corner. Hey, why don't you put out something on here about what you're looking for - you never know! xD

Hi Sally,

I'm 41 with 4 children and something of an idealist myself. I had real resistance when I first started at the playgroup I am currently with - the chairperson also told me that I was naive and unrealistic. However, almost 5 years down the line and the playgroup is thriving. Our good reputation is well known in the area and am constantly delighted when new mums visit and tell me about all the positive things that are being said about our group. It isn't just down to me - I have extremely good staff and a supportive committee but I think that a positive and professional attitude tends to rub off on others so that everyone who comes end up just like us! Please don't feel down - I am sure you will be a real asset to the workforce. :o

I'm sure something will turn up and I'm not going to let it get me down. The forum is great for sharing ideas and experiences and even having a good old moan! Thanks for the positive comments.

Sally

I did my DPP almost 10 years ago but can still remember the enthusiasm I had and the things I wanted to try out. The leader always found a reason for not following my ideas unless she could find a way of pretending they were her own and I well remember the feeling of deflation. But then she left and and I became leader and what a joy to be able to do things my way and also to say 'yes' to other peoples ideas.

Your time will come, and then you can try your ideas out. If they fail, so what, you'll have tried.

Dont feel downheartened, use the experiences about the job and the reaction to your ideas to inform how you deal with people in the future.

Good luck with the rest of the course. xD

Ps I cant comment on the focus sheet it wouldnt open for me. And as for making it up, I once made up a whole observation so it would fit with what I wanted to say!! :o

I wanted to include things in my evaluations and 'next steps' so I made things fit. :(

Its kind of like the same principle as 'magic knickers' xD

Glad you're home safe :o

Sally you rant as much as you like.

Your preschool is so lucky to have you, not only someone who wants to put things they learn into practice and give them insights in new good practice but someone is actively enthuasically learning.

Well done you - and good luck in finding a position where you will feel valued - shame you dont live near my preschool

I have just finished my DPP and thought I would post a copy of the activity plan I used. It isn't perfect but I have just taken over the ownership of the pre-school where I work and had an ofsted interview who found the filled in example forms I showed her excellent. I think as long as the differentiation is filled in (how to make the activity easier or more difficult) and the evaluation is done you can't go wrong.

Also must say that I am so impressed with the genuine enthusiasm and commitment of the members of this sight. It takes a lot to share resources and not be protective over your hard work and effort. I have only been in child care for 2 years and find myself on the EYPS and now owner of a pre-school. I have benefited greatly from the wisdom of the many years experience many of you have and hope I am still as committed in 10 years time.

Denisse

If this attachment works first time it will be a miracle!

ACTIVITYPLANNINGSHEET_2_.doc

It worked first time...and looks good! :o

Hang on a minute......your first post?.......you need a welcome too! xD

Edited by Wolfie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)