Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Driving Me Mad

beth1

For those who are studying for the Foundation Degree Early Years course at college/uni. Do you know what your lecture times are, if you do you are very lucky. xD

Well I don't and its really really annoying because now how am I ment to get a job in childcare. :( We have been told subject our course being rewritten the delviery sytem as changed. :(

I can imagine that if I get any more interviews in the 2 weeks and collge comes up it will be fun, how on earth am I expected to tell them in such a way not to offend possible employers? :o I have got an email and the timetable of events for enrolements in my folder, I think at this rate I won't be going back and I certainly cannot afford to do another 2 day placement with no pay. :(

Rant over, college looks like a no no this year. :wacko: xD :rolleyes:

Beth

The college does seem very unorganised and it is unreasonable that they can't give you details of what your commitments will be this year at such short notice. You would think that the lecturers themselves would wnat to know what THEIR commitments are, wouldn't you? Have you managed to get through to speak to anyone yet? When is your second year meant to start?

Yes I have spoken to them and this is the answer: :o

*The timetables are given out during the induction session (Friday 21st September 2007). The course has been rewritten and so for the first time modules an delviery have been subject to change over the past month.

*However if your are having difficulty finding a paid post we can arrange a 2 day a week placement.

As a part time student I am expected to start back on Thursday 27th September 2007 and Friday 28th September 2007 for a module session on each day. From this any possible employer will have 3 days to find suitable alterative(sp) arrangements! xD

A placement is not going to pay the bills!!! :( I think is time to quit while I am ahead and find work, then restart in 2008 meaning I am then a year behind of where I should be. :(

Beth

Beth,

I think from what other people have said, what is more important is how flexible college can be regarding lectures etc. So, for instance, if it is proving difficultly to be released on a particular day would it be possible to attend a lecture on a different day or time?

In terms of interviews, although you don't know which days you will be required to attend, you should be able to give employers a pretty good idea of how much time you would need for release. So you could just tell them that you would need, for example, 2 afternoons off each week although at this stage it is not clear which days these would be. All you can do is give them the information you have when you have it. :o

Beth,

I think from what other people have said, what is more important is how flexible college can be regarding lectures etc. So, for instance, if it is proving difficultly to be released on a particular day would it be possible to attend a lecture on a different day or time?

Not able to do this at my college its only Thursday year 1/2/level4 and Friday Year2/3/level 5 and it depend upon college tutors timing with the other courses they work in. :(:o

I think I may give this up as a bad job or try and compete level 4 by doing Equality and Working with Parents module first on Thursday. xD Then maybe if I can study all day on a Friday, we will have to see.

Beth

Hi Beth

it may not be an appropriate but have you thought about using the credit points that you have already gained and transfer your studies to the OU and complete the FD with them. I ahve done mine with them which has worked really well as can study in own time does not affect work and the tutorials are on a saturday. This may be an option for you rather than giving up your studies. Good Luck

That sounds like a really good suggestion - then you could organise your study times to suit yourself and your job? Well worth some serious consideration I think?

Been talking to my college friend, we are thinking of trying to find an alternative to our college. Tommorow I will be going to another college which is half way between us to see if we can transfer and hours etc.

We may also look at the OU to complete our courses, my friend wants to be a teacher but is finding it difficult to sort out her studying.

We will see what happens tommorow.

Beth

Guess what I have been told, to stay at my college and try to get though this year if possible. In a way yes I understand because the college I attend is the only college that does top ups from the Foundation Degree courses, for example BA with EYPS.

Beth

Is the college who has told you to stay? I thought once you'd achieved your FD you would have been able to go on to the BA wherever you wanted, but then I dont know how colleges work.

Do be careful though that they arent merely trying to get, and keep, 'bums on seats' which is what some colleges do for the funding it brings in.

However you choose to do it hope it goes well. :o

Hi Beth

I makes me annoyed too because the college im doing my FD at also is very unorganised - we were told we would receive feedback from the units we had completed during the end of the first year sometime in the hols - but surprise surprise nothing has been sent - not even what date we return to college, timetable etc! Feel we have to 'toe the line' but they're allowed to do whatever! Don't think they fully appreciate that we have to get organised juggling work/college/family etc. not easy!!! :o

Hi Beth

I have been in the same position this year. Last year I worked full time and went to Uni on a Thursday night.

This year Uni have changed it to a flexi degree but the moudules are in the day and at night but not really fitting in with work for example one will start at 11.45 which is dinner time in the setting so no way can i go. My setting has hit the roof because I want time of everywhere so I have chosen to swop with the OU today as I ahave got some of the exsperiance and can study well on my own I am going to give it a try. They will exspect you credit transfer and offer funding.

You dont ahve to stay with your collage and when ypu ahve finished you can go anywhere to top up .You can do it qwith the OU I ahave found out 2 day.

Dont let you tutors bully you. Mine at Uni today have put the guilt trip on me but i am doing what is right for myself and so should you.

bluebell

Yes just phoned them unforunatly they are closed to new people now, just wished college told us our timetable before now then I would have better options. :o So its eather carry on with the course or leave and do it next year elsewhere. xD

Beth

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)