Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pe In Nursery

Hi what a brillant place this is. Im new to this so hope im doing it correctly. I know there is a thread all ready on PE in nursery, but I was just wondering if anyone else is doing the 'Leap in Life' with their nursery. I am a nursery teacher and have 26 children in the morning and 26in the afternoon. I was just curious as to how other people are fitting this into an all ready short time!! Thanks x

Guest Wolfie

Sorry, I'm the third person who can't help but wants to say welcome!! There WILL be someone along who CAN help...promise!! :o

Sorry, I'm the third person who can't help but wants to say welcome!! There WILL be someone along who CAN help...promise!! :o

...but not me I'm afraid! Welcome to the forum though!

Maz

PS What exactly is "Leap in Life"?

lost count, am I the 4th or 5th??? :o

Just wanted to say a very warm welcome to the forum. I run a preschool and we plan to go out every day for a walk or to the local park for excercise, and/or 10 mins group excercise, per am & pm session. We don't follow any specific PE scheme.

Peggy

Hi Pinkang,

I do a five minute exercise with my group of children, just before we go outside for morning garden time. It is called, 'Active families' the exercises have names such as, Stanley stretch, Pedro Push,

Samantha jump and many more. I got the workout from a scholastics magazine called 'Nursery Education'. I just pop a musical CD into the CD player and we have a wee warm up, then go into the exercises, the children love it and some even started doing it at home.

If anyone would like a copy just let me know, i am back in to work next Friday, so i will get a copy and attach it here.

Rosepetal

Thanks everyone for replying and for your help....why does everything have to be so confusing?!

At the end of last term my reception class teacher and headteacher went on a 'Leap into Life' Course. They came back and fed some information to me and gave me the book resource. It is a resource for delivery of Physical Literacy at Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1. The resource has been designed to provide complete coverage of all aspects required to enhance physical development, across foundation and KS1 (ages 3-7). It is recommended that the material is delivered in five, thirty minute sessions per week. However, they do recognise that in part time nurseries it will not be possible to delieve sessions everyday, saying it may be more appropraite, for each session to be divided up into smaller units of time. It does say the material needs to be used to be planned accordingly to supplement and enhance current practice.

Currently, in nursery, alot of our physical is covered through activities in and around our nursery inside and outside area, with activities relating to the relevant SS. We are lucky enough to have the school hall one day a week, where all of the children get changed into their 'PE' kits and we use this space, mainly for soft play, running games, balls, movement etc, more fun for the children really.

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how I can implement this 'Leap in Life' into my timetable, or if anyone is already doing it? We don't seem to have enough time as it is, as we have to go and have 'playtime' with the whole school and what with having a set cafe time, it seems we rarely have extra time for anything else!

Sorry to be a pain!! :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rosepetal -

Good of you to offer, but Scholastic have a fairly clear copyright policy which almost certainly applies even to their freely available photocopiable resources, so we can't distribute it here. :o

For anyone who is interested in downloading some of these, you can find online copies of their free photocopiable resources going back to July 2005 by clicking here.

Sadly, apparently the issue that contains the sheets you're referring to are from February 2005 (and you'll need to ask Susan how she manages to hold information like that in her head!!), so they don't seem to be available any more. Don't know if they can dig them out if you contact them direct...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)