Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

35 Million Winner

Rea

The lady on the news whos just won £35, 000, 000 (is that right?) says shes going to have a couple of days to let it sink in.

I've tried to think of what I'd do, but I'm afraid the budget girl in me wont let me spend any of it. I thought about a plush car, but then worried I'd never be able to drive it witout my heart in my mouth. A new house? Well, no, my cats are buried in my garden. A whole new wardrobe? I quite like my clothes actually and it might mean getting rid of my latest bargins. A holiday? Well not if its too hot, or too cold, or anywhere they like sea food. I could buy a new computer station, this one wobbles when I type. Family and friends could be given some but then it would be up to them so that doesnt count. Charity? Yes, but then what?

I think I must be happy. :oxD

good for you Rea... :o personally i would like the chance to spend that sort of money, a nice house, two nice cars enough money in the bank to see children ok for whatever they want to do with their lives, a holiday home and above all buy my own nursery.......ho hum ill dream on...... xD

I was discussing this with my mum earlier, she also said she could not move as the garden was full of more than just flowers!!!. I think I would like to organise something, like an orphanage or a nursery, or hospice I don't know all I know is that I would have to have a purpose/reason so as not to eat my way through the day. Its lovely when you are at work to think of all the things you could be doing at home but it never works out like that.

Me?

Well, I'd give some to the local pre-school playgroup that started me off in this crazy world xD , then I'd see my children right, then I'd see my aged and ailing parents were OK, give some to the church that's been with me all the way............. then what?? I've just signed up for FD, so I can't retire :o

Sue

Well I think I've been watching too much daytime TV as I'd like to put some towards property development!! :o

Ensure that my parents were taken care of.

Probably put some towards IVF treatment for the future-postcode lottery and all.

see my children, my sister and hubby's family right, new house here, one in Cyprus, learn to drive.......and relax.........we've always been skint, sometimes terribly so,down to wondering how to afford shoes for the kids etc.really that bad sometimes.So, it would be nice NEVER to have to worry about paying a bill.

Oh, and I'd go out and buy 2 pairs of shoes!! :)

Bearing in mind that £35 million is a HUGE amount of money, I think I wouldn't feel so guilty about splashing a little cash before making sure most of it was invested. So what would I do?

Well after the new house (nothing but rubble in our garden!), making sure friends and family were ok, I'd buy a lovely old house in the village for my nursery (and hire the necessary gardening/building staff to keep it all in order). I'd get the grounds landscaped to offer children the most fantastic outdoor play experiences this side of Pen Green, and I'd spend an absolute fortune with Community Playthings...

I'd take the Brownies on a huge outing to say goodbye (am giving up at Christmas), would buy nice new cars for OH and me, plus driving lessons for my nearly 17 year old. I'd give sizeable amounts to my various charities, plus some others I'd like to support but can't currently afford to.

I think I'd invest in good pensions for each of my staff - something I've been worrying about lately - and I'd definitely hire a housekeeper to take care of the domestic chores so I could concentrate on my EYPS and BA... and I might even pay off my student loan. I could really indulge my love of gadgets, Amazon's share price would rise massively as I could buy every book I ever wanted, I'd buy the entire back catalogues of all my favourite singers and groups.

But what would I do after the first week...?

Well it would be nice to set up some kind of charity or other: a mentoring/bursary group to help troubled young people make the most of their lives; a counselling/support group to help victims of abuse rebuild their lives; a home caring service to enable people who have brain injury get the right level of support they need to live back in the 'real world'; the list is endless really.

Maz

PS Since I don't actually buy a lottery ticket I'll just have to keep dreaming...

I quite agree with every one and what fun we would have to begin with. But how long would the fun last before it turned to hassel and worry? would any one be happier? yeah life would be a dam sight easier but happier I'm not so sure, i think you would have diferent worries rather than are everyday worries.

As for flash cars well belive me if you break down in your focus some one will stop to see if you are ok on the side of the road, how ever break down in a posh new car and people will drive on by!!!!

I could do with enough to pay off mortgage and repair all the things that are falling off the house around me and ensure an adequate pension. Then I could afford to work part time and have some freedom to do other things. I think money rich, time rich is a bit of a double bind. I know it's heresy but during long holidays I get BORED!! all my friends work in jobs where they can take leave when it's cheap so they are all working and there's noone to hang around with (not on street corners though!) - I think I would rather be more in balance some work, some play and no worries.

CX

Without wanting to sound to boring (again)... I would worry that that amount of money would change my life so much that I would loose what I have now. :o

I am soo happy and so grateful, we have very little money and struggle but I own horses, pay the mortgage, and between me and my husband we feed and clothe the children. We are really skint sometimes - have just bought a new wardrobe for our bedroom, first time we have ever bought a wardrobe new, have always bought second hand, I can't tell you the joy I get just looking at it in our room! Surely if you have everything what is their to want?

Priorities for me are important - I don't think I have even been materialistic and hope I never will be.

Obviously it would be nice not to worry about paying bills and I do the lottery sometimes but I hope that if I win it isn't too much xD Be nice to help family and charities - but I feel really lucky with what I have. :(

Edited by Guest

Hmmm £35 million.........

See all the family are OK, pay off their mortgages and a nest egg for each.

Have a year of travel, time with family / friends ( most probably gain a lot of new friends :oxD )

Then I would buy myself a 'lordship' ( or whatever it is called to get into parliament) not for status but to get into the heart of power and politics and make changes ( or more to the point stop so many changes) in our education system, starting with the early years. :(

Peggy

Does anyone remember that program At Home With the Braithwaites a few years ago? It was very funny and slightly bizarre but the storyline was about the mother who won a massive amount on the lottery and how their lives were affected because of it.