Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self Registration Ideas?

Hi everyone

Does anyone have any nice ideas for my self registration board. I have used balloons, ducks and apples on a tree in the past.

Thanks Guys

Sounds a lot more exciting than mine, brown eyed girl!

We have a magnetic easel with 'in' on one side and 'out' on the other. Each child has a magnet with their full name on with a picture which begins with the same letter sound as their name begins with (Apple for Alex, etc). This is the same picture as is on their cloakroom label, and their trays so at the beginning the child can use the picture to recognise their name, and those of their friends.

Perhaps I need to think about ways to jazz mine up a bit!

Maz

Sounds a lot more exciting than mine, brown eyed girl!

We have a magnetic easel with 'in' on one side and 'out' on the other. Each child has a magnet with their full name on with a picture which begins with the same letter sound as their name begins with (Apple for Alex, etc). This is the same picture as is on their cloakroom label, and their trays so at the beginning the child can use the picture to recognise their name, and those of their friends.

Perhaps I need to think about ways to jazz mine up a bit!

Maz

That's nice Maz. I have only ever put their christian names on... shame on me... great for the older kids though, thanks

We used to change ours according to the topic - the children had names and pictures on things like leaves on trees (autumn) balls on a beach scene (summer) and raindrops on an umbrella (weather)

Of course, if you are not supposed to have topics now, that idea wouldn't work :o (tongue firmly in cheek, of course!)

Of course, if you are not supposed to have topics now, that idea wouldn't work :o (tongue firmly in cheek, of course!)

Of course, I knew that - all strictly planned on my part you know!

Actually one child in my setting has a difficulty with change (who doesn't?), so it is a real benefit to her that her magnet and the self-registration board looks the same.

Maz

I look out for bold wrapping paper, cut out the print such as flowers, space ships, bumble bees etc, stick them on a large board ( i paint mine and jazz it up a bit) cover it in PVA glue to seal it. Stick velcro on the shapes on the board. The childrens first names are lamienated and velcro stuck on the back. The children select their name and add it to the name board as they come in. I have made up a range of boards and change them as we go !!

im glad this topic came up this is what i have been looking for. i never did one last year but now im starting a new school im really keen to do it, so all the ideas i can get are a great help.

i have seen a number line type registration board before. They used teddies with the childrens names on then velcroed them on to a wide strip of card with a number line underneath it. I quite like this idea and you change it to suit your groups intrests.

I have been into a setting which uses smiley, ok & sad (etc) faces on their registration board so that the children can self-register and it also gives them the chance to express how they are feeling that day. The practitioners have found this works well and helps them to tune into childrens feelings and if they are not in a happy mood this may explain why certain behaviours occur.

I have been into a setting which uses smiley, ok & sad (etc) faces on their registration board so that the children can self-register and it also gives them the chance to express how they are feeling that day. The practitioners have found this works well and helps them to tune into childrens feelings and if they are not in a happy mood this may explain why certain behaviours occur.

I like this idea a lot - always looking out for chances to discuss emotions etc! And since my logo is a smiley face....

Maz

We recently changed ours to no-longer having picture clues. This initialy meant of course that the children needed more support initially from their parents / staff registering, but soon many were able to self-register unaided. The more able children then supporting their friends in finding their names. This has improved the name recognition, in the past children were just relying on their picture clue.

We have a post box and laminated names related to topic or with favourite shapes/numbers on. Children come in and post their names in the box. We also recover the names from the box at group time and hold them up to see who has chosen their own or whose mum/dad has done it for them/ it's a good way of sending children to play individually too! :o

I used to have the names laminated and during the morning (either first thing with parents or later depending on the day to day trivia) each child would find their name and put it into one of 4 boxes which had the choice of drinks on for snack time. A few would change their mind at snack but not many :o

Our children self register on the same board as our star chart (at their level). Their star chart is made up of lots of shooting stars on a black background (nightime), shooting stars different colours (but not silver), and then the actual stars the children are awarded are small yellow stars which they place on their shooting star.

The board also has spaces for children to use thier picture stars to self register. for these we took photographs of the children, stuck them on a larger silver star and wrote the child's full name above their photograph and then ..... has come to play under their photograph. the children then find their star in the morning and place it on the board.

as you can probably imagine the board is full of stars of one form or another but looks lovely, it a useful board and nice to have the children's pictures on it. :o

I Have a large bright clown on the classroom door which I have backed in sticky back plastic and He has coloured spots all over his trousers and top - which are the children's names. These have velcro on the back. They find their name on the clown when they arrive and post them into a box.

It works well.

Louise

My children have their full name on a laminated card which is eaither red or yellow. The colour depicts their keyworker group ( yellow 3's and under, Red over 3's).

I have 3 clocks placed on the board. They show the going home times of 11:45, 12:45 and 15:15. The children place their name under the clock that shows their going home time. The children soon learn in which vertical row to place their names, even the children who attend lunch (home at 12:45) on some days and all day sessions on other days ( home at 15:15 ).

This system enables name recognition, awareness of time, awareness of individual change, awareness of days, ie Tom learns on Tuesday he has lunch and on Wednesday he stays all day. We are also able to easily count how many children are staying for lunch by adding up the number of names under the 12:45 clock and the number of names under the 15:15 clock. We also count how many children go home before lunch.

Sounds a bit com-plicated when written down but is easy, user friendly and effective. :o

Peggy

Nice idea Tuffspot, during an Ofsted Inspection the children were finding their names and placing them on the board, the Inspector 'suggested' putting pictures next to the names, when asked why, she said it would make it easier for the children to identify their names. :o Now thats what I call 'down' differentiation. xD

Even our youngest 2 yr olds soon recognise the 'pattern' of their name and I have always felt that pictures detract from the letters.

Peggy

Hi,

I do a sort of self registration/parent interaction as a way of involving parents/carers at the start of the day.

I have two flowers pots one labelled with the word 'yes' and the other flower pot labelled with the word 'no'. Each child has a sunflower head which they coloured in themselves, i added a photograph in the middle of the sunflower head and added each childs name onto their sunflower head. Each sunflower then has a green garden stick attached to them to help them stand up in the flower pot.

Each day on the table where the flower pots stand i put a 'daily question' beside it, along with the sunflowers of the children who will be attending nursery that day. When the children arrive with their parent/carer, they go to the 'daily question' table, the parent/carer asks the child the question, the answer will always be a yes or no answer (closed questions), the child then gets their sunflower and puts it into the 'yes' or 'no' flower pot.

I have over 50 questions, they range from, Do you have a sister? Do you have a brother? Do you have long hair? Do you have short hair? Did you eat your breakfast this morning? Do you have a piece of fruit in your lunch box today? Did you have vegetables for dinner last night? Did you go swimming at the weekend? and so on and so on.

Later in the day, we sit the children down at circle time and we discuss how many children's names are in the 'yes' pot and how many are in the 'no' pot. We then add them altogether. We also discuss the question at circle time and ask the children, for example what their favourite vegetables are etc.

Parents have found the questions useful and have told me the children when at home remember the questions and one little boy who would refuse to eat vegetables at home started to eat them just incase the question came up, did you eat your vegetables for dinner last night?, as he wanted to be in the yes pot. The children also over a period of time started to recognise the words, 'yes' and 'no'.

Hi,

To support children in recognising their names without photograph hints, the photos can be removed later on in the term, if you have older children who already recognise their names, then don't add a photo to the sunflower. I do laminate the sunflower head before attaching the garden green stick to it.

I also have little pebbles (which a parent give me) in the flower pots to help the sunflowers stand. I got the sunflower colouring picture from a colouring in website.

We have a laminated bee with the children's name on the front and on the back a photo of them, also with their name. They find theirs when they come in a put straight onto a tray for them to put their work in or letters etc.

:o When the children don't need the photo clue we turn the bee around!!

Edited by Mrsb

Guest sandcastles

as the rooms in our nursery have themed names i.e seashells, starfish and sandcastle, our registration board is an underwater theme. the children have either a fish. starfish, crab or shell with their name on. this is laminated wth velcro on the back. staff also have one.

in our starfish room 18 mths to 3 years the registration board is red bus the children each have their photo taken and it is lamninated with their name underneath. when they arrive they put their photo in a bus window.

these are both successful and we have been using these ways for 4 years!

Nice idea Tuffspot, during an Ofsted Inspection the children were finding their names and placing them on the board, the Inspector 'suggested' putting pictures next to the names, when asked why, she said it would make it easier for the children to identify their names. :o Now thats what I call 'down' differentiation. xD

Even our youngest 2 yr olds soon recognise the 'pattern' of their name and I have always felt that pictures detract from the letters.

Peggy

Good point Peggy. Our pictures begin with the same letter sound as the child's name, and we find it helps children to identify the trays belonging to other children - good when they have invitations or letters to put in each other's trays. We also have name labels which don't have any pictures - such as when the children are putting their names on our helper's display, or the labels we use for when children bring items for the interest table.

In this way we encourage children to recognise the shape of their names both with and without pictorial hints and as you say, even the youngest children soon begin to be able to identify their name without the pictures.

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)