Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Clarification Needed Please!

I was under the impression that the EYFS does not become compulsory until Spetember 2008 (I know this is right) but we will be using it in our setting from September (next month, I mean!). I have tried to explain why I don't think this is a good idea, but actually, will we be penalised for using it before we technically have to?

Things have been hectic at work lately with new obs books being printed up and new focus activity sheets and I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about it not only because only 3 people in the whole nursery have seen the pack, but also because none of us have received any kind of training. I'm not sure what Ofsted are saying about it either, so I don't feel like I can really back my 'argument' up.

What do you think?

Hi Clare

totally agree with you i will not be using the pack in any of my settings until the training has been rolled out. We have also been told Ofsted will be inspecting on the old standards until September 2008 so do not wish to muddy the waters at inspection time. It also seems silly to use the framework now as once it comes in to force there will be more support from Early years and training materials. Have you had advice from your local early years they may be of some help.

We had our osfted in June, and the inspector told us to go ahead with the EYFS.

Having said that, I had only just taken over as manager and the first thing I picked up on was the fact staff lacked of knowledge of the CGFS anyway, and the inspector agreed no point in confusing staff and just start with the new!

However - we will only be using the practice guidance to start with for planning and assements etc - we will not even consider the 'statutory framework' side of it until we have further training ~ although as I am currently working on a new operational plan, I have started referring to it in paperwork -alongside old standards.

We start our full training in September.

I am trying to get my head around the EYFS as I am starting up a new setting that should be operational in April and therefore do not want to prepare my prospectus and my operational plan under the old/current system as I will have to re-do it all. I did read somewhere no idea where that they had rolled it out early so that people would be familiar with the system for September start up and it suggested that we should be working towards it now - not too sure what that means but it sort of makes sense to me.

So I am drawing up everything in line with the EYFS and then can do some training and amend where necessary.

Nikki

I need to implement a proper tracking system so that we can accurately show parents where their child is on their own particular journey through the stepping stones. It seems to make more sense to me to start off with the EYFS rather than have to change it later (and without the necessity to confuse the staff by having to work with two different documents depending on whether the child will still be wish us in 2008).

Maz

I need to implement a proper tracking system so that we can accurately show parents where their child is on their own particular journey through the stepping stones. It seems to make more sense to me to start off with the EYFS rather than have to change it later (and without the necessity to confuse the staff by having to work with two different documents depending on whether the child will still be wish us in 2008).

Maz

Or even with us...!

I'm a childminder and got the following answer from ofsted when asked if i should use eyfs -

The EYFS is given legal force through an Order and Regulations made under the Childcare Act 2006. From September 2008 all schools and early years providers in Ofsted registered settings attended by children aged from birth to the 31 August following their fifth birthday will be required to deliver the EYFS.

However, although the EYFS is not yet compulsory, it is available for you to use now if you prefer or if parents express a wish for it, so you are able to start new children on the EYFS.

Other useful information and resources can be found by telephoning the DFES on: 0870 000 2288.

I hope this information helps.

Regards

Carrie Vickers

Customer Service Advisor

Hope this helps! Sarahx :o

I'm a childminder and got the following answer from ofsted when asked if i should use eyfs -

The EYFS is given legal force through an Order and Regulations made under the Childcare Act 2006. From September 2008 all schools and early years providers in Ofsted registered settings attended by children aged from birth to the 31 August following their fifth birthday will be required to deliver the EYFS.

However, although the EYFS is not yet compulsory, it is available for you to use now if you prefer or if parents express a wish for it, so you are able to start new children on the EYFS.

Other useful information and resources can be found by telephoning the DFES on: 0870 000 2288.

I hope this information helps.

Regards

Carrie Vickers

Customer Service Advisor

Hope this helps! Sarahx xD

Blimey Sarah - a straight forward answer from Ofsted - its like having a hotline to God... or whoever or whatever you worship :o

Maz

Interesting, thanks for your replies. What does it mean for children already attending the nursery though? Can we still use it with them even though Ofsted have said about starting new children on it? Sorry to seem dense

well, from september all our children will be on it! We only have one intake from schools so we've just lost loads... so lot's of new ones.

Clare sounds like you work in full day-care, where as I'm in a pre-school~ with 2-5s... so as you can imagine-for us it's better if they can start straightaway on the EYFS - then we won't have to do both the birth-to-three and CGFS.

I've made up little 'party bags' of information for staff- so they each have their own copy of pack, plus other bits of information. I've tried to make it look fun and interesting!!!

I'm reading up on it .. and I've got a CD rom 'Questioning Everyday Practice' about the EYFS, which I ordered from the teachnet site, that I'm hoping will be useful to, but not looked at it yet.

xxx

well, from september all our children will be on it! We only have one intake from schools so we've just lost loads... so lot's of new ones.

Clare sounds like you work in full day-care, where as I'm in a pre-school~ with 2-5s... so as you can imagine-for us it's better if they can start straightaway on the EYFS - then we won't have to do both the birth-to-three and CGFS.

I've made up little 'party bags' of information for staff- so they each have their own copy of pack, plus other bits of information. I've tried to make it look fun and interesting!!!

I'm reading up on it .. and I've got a CD rom 'Questioning Everyday Practice' about the EYFS, which I ordered from the teachnet site, that I'm hoping will be useful to, but not looked at it yet.

xxx

Love the idea of the party bags - another idea I might just steal....

The 'Questioning Everyday Practice' DVD is really good - there are video clips of children in a variety of settings with a stated focus for each clip. Then you can read a bit of a reflection by the practitioner/leader of the setting, which relates to what you've just seen, followed by an illustration of the particular Principles into Pracice card, with the relevant bit highlighted so you can see how the whole thing hangs together.

Maz

Although the new EYFS doesn't come into legal force until September 2008 we have decided in our setting to start familiarising ourselves with it. We think it will be simpler because there is only one framework to deal with for a start.

It's a bit like the no smoking ban - it didn't come into force until July but businesses needed to plan how they would implement the ban before it came into force so that they could be compliant when it did.

We are trying to improve our observation methods/planning to meet the individual needs of children but is also workable for us but I think that is largely about good practice rather than the EYFS.

We have a new member of staff starting too and it would seem prudent to all be working towards the new documentation.

Packs can be ordered from the DfES.

Guest Wolfie

I've also stopped referring to the B23 and Foundation Stage documentation and am now linking everything to the EYFS - the setting I support had an Ofsted in June and won't have another until after September 2008 so I decided it was best to start using the new framework in conjunction with any new practice/paperwork, etc. that I'm introducing - otherwise we'll have to chnage it all again next year and I WON'T be popular!

Well I know this sounds terrible but sometimes I feel the staff are like a load of big kids themselves - with the 'I never got that', nobody told me attitude, and I feel a bit patronising if I keep making them sign to say they've received this or that.

So I've got a a selection of gift bags from the poundshop, and I'm trying to collect lots of relevant freebies. I'm attempting to make up a whole 'new pack' with any new paperwork ect, I've got some of those 'flower highlighters' free fom our CIS, the EYFS pack, I'll put in some pens, a notebook and I'm looking for some 'fun stuff' Really all I'm doing is trying to find a crafty way of giving them all a lot of new information in one go!!!! We have a whole day planning and want to make it as fun and intersting as possible.

Any suggestions as to what else to include would be most welcome!

xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)