Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rotas For Toy Cleaning

(apologies if this is in the wrong section!)

i was just wondering how everyone organises their toy cleaning/sterilising and how often it is done.

at the moment i have a table with all the toys on and columns to date when the toys are been cleaned. if im honest the toys are getting cleaned as and when we can so i want to try and include it as one of the daily/weekly jobs some how.

if anyone could help me with ideas as to how i could do it that would be great.

thanx :o

We have a rota for example the lego goes in the washing machine on a monday e.t.c. and we have specific days for cleaning certain toys and areas, we use the washing machine and a pillow case for a lot of our toys. Obviously we wash toys out of order if they need specificaslly doing.

I was wondering about this the other day...normally how often/regularly do you wash toys? Does anyone involve the children? a couple of times I have put things in the water tray with loads of bubbles.

Elfy

x

yes, indeed, children LOVE to clean and wash up if given half the chance!!So, yes, we bung whatever we can in the water tray, with warm water and some gentle bubbles.........hand out a few soft cloths, sponges etc and bob's your uncle!they can then drip dry on a nice clean mat before being tidied away. I don't see why the children shouldn't be involved with cleaning..............i even allow the older ones to help brush up after snacks/lunches etc and they wipe the tables too.If it's all supervised, then I think it's good for them!

We do the same as Narnia and involve the children. We schedule the toys to be cleaned in this way for a Frideay so that they have the oportunity to drip dry over the weekend.

I think it depends on the age of the children and where they are being put i.e. rattles and baby toys should be washed/sterilised more frequently as they are constantly going in mouths and on the floor. We used to fill baby baths with Milton on a Friday lunchtime, rinse them before we went home and left them over the weekend.

We also used to wipe baby toys with antibac before they went out if they hadn't been used for a few days to get rid of dust on the surface.

Toys for toddlers such as Lego, small world, home corner things etc would be done on a regular basis (weekly/monthly) and as and when necessary as well.

I'd definitely agree with Narnia and Raine - get the children involved!

Like everyone else we are constantly cleaning.

At the end of this term we put a request out for parents to come in and help clean. THEY DID!

We gave them books, jigsaws etc to wipe down with antibacterial wipes and anything that had or wasn't going to be used again.

One parent even bought in a trolley from the supermarket near by, filled it up with Duplo and big stuff, took the toys home armed with miltons etc, put them in her washing machine and bought them back the next day. Then took another load the next day!!!

We spent Wednesday of this week in the settig cleaning climbing frames, bikes, trikes etc and generally sorting out the cupboard! what a mamouth task.

All done now and nice and clean for when we return end of August. :o

• 2 weeks later...

just to add to this......................we had a big clean-up last week in the sunshine............water tray and warm soapy water, and ALL of the plastic toys went in..........mobilo, sticklebricks, duplo, lego.you name it, we scrubbed it!!They cleaned all the bikes,trikes,slides and rockers too! as the weather has changed again, we set out to clean indoors today..so little cloths for every child, with some anti-bac on them.....and off they went,cleaning and polishing! the parents were most impressed when they saw all the stickers.........well, we have to say 'thankyou' for all the hard work! I have alsohad a flash of inspiration and put a small self adhesive pocket on the back of each box/drawer and have put a lable inside that, with the 'date of last cleaning'on it, so we know exactly when they were done.Should impress the 'O' people! so, this weekend all the dressing-ups and cushions go home and into the washing machine..........

I see people are using their Washing machines doesn't this make a racket - we put the toys in the water play with bubbles and as already said the children love this.

It does make a lot of noise in the machines but if put in a pillowcase reduces this, we also put a towel in same wash to reduce noise, result is very clean and almost dry stuff when it comes out.

Our children also wash it regularly but we tend to machine wash it once a year.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)