Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Have Got The Paperwork

Hi all, well it's here, my piece of paper from the ou, YES! funding approved by LA and now am registered on the course to start 6th October. Will no doubt be on here very often! Any suggested helpful background reading prior to starting E123 would be appreciated. Thanks

Well done - missed the bit before - what are you studying? I am sure you will enjoy it, I enjoyed doing mine so much am now trying to fund a masters - glutton for punishment - want to get that funded through my LA but not too sure whether they will buy it or not.

Nikki

Hi Nicola - just registered to study E123 (first step towards a Foundation Degree). Really doing this for myself, rather than spend time wondering 'What if...?'

Being the first in my family (many many years ago - we're talking early 1970's) to actually pass the 11+ and end up at Grammar school, I received no help from my parents during my time there (not because they didn't want to help - they really didn't have any appreciation of the secondary education, grammar school system, or the knowledge to help me - through no fault of their own, that's just the way our family for generations had been). I did not enjoy my time at school at all, and therefore didn't appreciate how important those years at school and 'o' levels were. So really struggled, and left at the earliest opportunitiy. My school reports and some teachers did nothing to encourage me, just made me feel a complete failure. However, I knew in the back of my mind that I wanted to work with children, and somehow find something that would bring out the best in each one - personally felt that children shouldn't be swept under the carpet because they couldn't do something or because of their lack of support at home or previous lack of experience - really wanted to make some difference based on my own unhappy experiences, and therefore applied to take the NNEB course, wondering whether I would be 'clever enough' to be accepted? Imagine my surprise at beeing accepted and informed that I didn't need to take an entrace exam either?!?! Purely accepted based on interview! I absolutely adored my time at college, respected my tutors and loved my time on placements, and when I received my first essay results, I couldn't believe that I had achieved the top marks of the year group 90+%! This really spurred me on, and what a boost to my self esteem? Was employed 2 days after finishing my NNEB course in 1979 and haven't looked back since! Admittedly, have changed jobs (not too many times though)and haven't done any formal study since then, but my career has developed from strength to strength & have kept up to date with all sorts of courses, training and have never been without a job in Childcare/ Education.

Wow - can't believe I've disclosed all this!! At my very first job interview back in 1979, I was asked how I wanted to develop my career, and I remember answering that one day I would like to take a degree - but didn't know if I had the capability. So. . . 28yrs later, married with 3 growing up teenage children - I've taken the plunge and set the cogs in motion. No regrets. Just mixed feelings of excitement and apprehension.

Sorry for the blurb - it just all came out! but maybe someone else is wondering what to do about future training, all I can say is 'Why not?'

hiya

Im still wondering when i will hear about when we start etc

i do keep having hot sweats!! (and there not menopausal)about it but will feel better when i have hared i think.

Well done does it look manageble?

andrea

When i started the course I brought the following books which I have used throughout the course and have found very useful. Good luck with the course if I can be of any help give me a shout.

Developing Early Years Practice (Foundation Degree Texts) (Foundation Degree Texts) (Paperback)

by Linda Miller (Author), Carrie Cable (Author), Jane Devereux (Author) and

How Children Learn: From Montessori to Vygotsky - Educational Theories and Approaches Made Easy by Linda Pound and Kathy Hughes (Paperback - 1 Jan 2005)

Hi Nicola - just registered to study E123 (first step towards a Foundation Degree). Really doing this for myself, rather than spend time wondering 'What if...?'

Being the first in my family (many many years ago - we're talking early 1970's) to actually pass the 11+ and end up at Grammar school, I received no help from my parents during my time there (not because they didn't want to help - they really didn't have any appreciation of the secondary education, grammar school system, or the knowledge to help me - through no fault of their own, that's just the way our family for generations had been). I did not enjoy my time at school at all, and therefore didn't appreciate how important those years at school and 'o' levels were. So really struggled, and left at the earliest opportunitiy. My school reports and some teachers did nothing to encourage me, just made me feel a complete failure. However, I knew in the back of my mind that I wanted to work with children, and somehow find something that would bring out the best in each one - personally felt that children shouldn't be swept under the carpet because they couldn't do something or because of their lack of support at home or previous lack of experience - really wanted to make some difference based on my own unhappy experiences, and therefore applied to take the NNEB course, wondering whether I would be 'clever enough' to be accepted? Imagine my surprise at beeing accepted and informed that I didn't need to take an entrace exam either?!?! Purely accepted based on interview! I absolutely adored my time at college, respected my tutors and loved my time on placements, and when I received my first essay results, I couldn't believe that I had achieved the top marks of the year group 90+%! This really spurred me on, and what a boost to my self esteem? Was employed 2 days after finishing my NNEB course in 1979 and haven't looked back since! Admittedly, have changed jobs (not too many times though)and haven't done any formal study since then, but my career has developed from strength to strength & have kept up to date with all sorts of courses, training and have never been without a job in Childcare/ Education.

Wow - can't believe I've disclosed all this!! At my very first job interview back in 1979, I was asked how I wanted to develop my career, and I remember answering that one day I would like to take a degree - but didn't know if I had the capability. So. . . 28yrs later, married with 3 growing up teenage children - I've taken the plunge and set the cogs in motion. No regrets. Just mixed feelings of excitement and apprehension.

Sorry for the blurb - it just all came out! but maybe someone else is wondering what to do about future training, all I can say is 'Why not?'

Congratulations and very well done hen lady - you sound like a very special lady. I start with the OU in October too (FD) and would consider it a privilege to share ideas, help and advice with you as we embark on this degree. Good luck!

Cheers

MIRIAM

Thank you for sharing such an inspirational story. I feel the best practitioners are the ones who truly understand how a caring, knowledgeable adult who can tune into children's needs and actually hear their voices can be such a force for good in children's lives. You've certainly got personal experience of what it feels like to have the system let you down and the determination to make sure you help the children achieve their potential.

Good luck with the studies - I'm sure you'll enjoy every frustrating, exhausting but exhilerating moment of it!

As for the book - I'm sure there's a thread on here somewhere where someone asked the same question (although possibly not about your particular course, but about Foundation Degrees in general).

Maz

i've got my fingers crossed for funding to start in October too! Looks like i'll be in good company!

Sarahx :o

Hi Hen Lady. My story is very similar to yours!! Except I was hating grammar school ten years after you! lol Just when I was thinking 'what the heck am I doing even considering a degree at my age (36), you have inspired me to keep at it, making me realise 'you're never too old!' I too am doing this for myself, to prove something. Thanks hen lady! :D

Hi Hen Lady. My story is very similar to yours!! Except I was hating grammar school ten years after you! lol Just when I was thinking 'what the heck am I doing even considering a degree at my age (36), you have inspired me to keep at it, making me realise 'you're never too old!' I too am doing this for myself, to prove something. Thanks hen lady! :D

36? You're much too young!

Keep going - it will be worth it all, I promise!

Maz

I agree your still young!

I expect a lot of our stories are similar. No-one except one cousin in our family has a degree, so I feel so proud of myself, and my parents are really chuffed, they drop it in conversations at random which can be a little embaressing when you are stood next to them at the age of 38 years old, I never thought I would be able to dedicate myself to the study but I love it. Better not speak to soon, only one year down, two to go.

If we all stick together we will get there - amazing what a bit of support from complete strangers can do!! :oxD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)