Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Record Of Transfer

In Kent, pre schools complete a record of transfer which is given to the parents when their child moves onto school and also sent to the teacher of their new school. This summarises which level stepping stone the pre school practitioner feels the child is operating at along with a brief comment about their achivement in each area of learning and a suggetsion for the 'next step'. Do any other areas have a similiar record and if so do you moderate these at all- and more importantly- how??

Well I'm in a county next to yours and we have nothing + the schools want nothing!!! as far as the schools are corncerned we don't exsist - although it's got to change with the intro of the EYFS --

Someitne I wonder why we even have to bother recording etc - I feel tempted to just let the staff just play, play, play with the children..and put all the paperwork and planning in the bin.

xx

Well I am in Essex. The teacher visits from one of the schools. I personanally take the record of transfer documents with me and the are very grateful. I know they use them because past parents often say the teacher refers to them.

Our children have a west sussex development record which is filled in with our observations etc, meetings with parents ( parent evening). These are given to the parents when the children leave and they take it too their new setting or school. I know other settings use them but not sure if the schools do :o ......but like already mentioned they will have to soon.

Guest Wolfie

Durham has obviously got its act together Marion - I wish more authorities would take this kind of approach, it would make life a lot easier and moderation wouldn't be so much of an issue.

The problem in Kent is that schools want to make more use of them but find they lack consistency from different settings. Thats why i was wondering if and how others moderate any such records??? I think they have huge potential but pre school staff need more guidance on how to complete them effectively (and I also think pre schools and schools need to link more generally- but that's another huge issue to start a discussion on sometime!)

My new setting has great links with the school and they have requested a look at observations and any evidence alongside transfer forms! I have been very impressed, I asked the Reception teacher was she sure she wanted it all and she smiled and said yes if helps me so much to build aprofile of the children!!!!!!!! :oxD:(

Hi,

I use a record of transfer based on one posted on here a while back from lancashire county council. We feed into 6 different schools and have no communication from any of them - not from lack of trying on my part.

I also have in my registration form that I can send them to the school but as of yet all my parents have agreed to hand them over.

I have attached a completed one with all names taken out to give you an idea of what I put it. Of course it is all based around wither BTTM or Foundation stage depending on age.

Net x

:o

Thanks for that. They are exactally the same as Kent!!

Its a shame that there are moderation procedures in place for the Profile at the end of Yr R, but once again the younger children get pushed down the agenda as not 'important enough' (?) to need to moderate records of transfer..........

Our Nursery school report supplies us with all the transfer information I need as pupils join class R. Othe providers send the Suffolk 'Frst Steps' document, a very useful assessment/transfer tool.

Thanks for that. They are exactally the same as Kent!!

Its a shame that there are moderation procedures in place for the Profile at the end of Yr R, but once again the younger children get pushed down the agenda as not 'important enough' (?) to need to moderate records of transfer..........

Have you thought of asking your LA if they can moderate the records of transfer?

I am based in East Kent and use the Kent format which is the same as already posted. I have previously put this format in the resource library.

When I write my reports I tend to give examples of how a child has shown his/her knowledge, skill or attitude. I also try to make a comment on each aspect within each area of the curriculum. I will mention themes the child has participated in to enable scchools to know a bit more about the childs preferences / interests ( from where the themes derive from). I also try to describe each childs disposition and learning style. I also consider what the child was like when first with us, how they react to 'new' situations, ie one child was very shy, but isn't now, she may regress a bit with the new start to school and show this through shyness.

I put a photo in the header as well.

I hope that the schools appreciatte our time writing these reports, our main feeder school say they do, but I don't hear from the others. As usual I always leave things to the last minute, so over the last week I have stayed up ALL NIGHT for 3 nights ( not consequetive) to get my reports done for parents to see before end of term. The information is from memory, knowledge of child and the childs record of achievement folder which includes observations and examples of achievements collated throughout their time with us. I give a copy to parents and send a copy to the school, including parents comments on the report. I don't send the report until first week of Autumn term, so that the information is fresh and the teachers only have to read it once. If I read something in July I would need to re-read it in September.

As for moderation, I am aware that schools have CLUSTER meetings, The PVI sector are invited to these and in the past were part of the decision making on how the report format should be designed. I would think that the Cluster meetings would be a good place to discuss moderation, especially now as the EYFS change approaches.

Here is an example of one of my reports.

I do tend to take my time over reports ( age, I think also means it seems to take me a bit longer each year xD ). Even if schools did not read them, I still gain a lot of satisfaction over this work, it helps me to evaluate what I have offered, identify any curriculum areas which I feel could have had more input ( ie: if I struggle to know about childrens levels in any aspects ie: calculating). The main pleasure is recognising how much the children have developed both in terms of academically and in terms of personality and character. I know we know this but when it's really thought about and put down in writing it really shows how very much children gain from their preschool experience. :(:(:(

I wish my Foster childs school put in as much effort. His report didn't have one positive thing to say about him. He has global learning delay and all the report told me was about what he couldn't do and how disruptive he is. ( they are not meeting his needs) ....but that's a different story... :o

Peggy

EXAMPLE_ROT.doc

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)