Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Appraisals

hi girlies,

im doing appraisals this week, did one on a member of staff this morinng that has worked with me for 7 years!!!

she is fine at her job only works 3 sessions and is a level 3 qualified.

she asked me today why she didnt have more responisibilty (getting at why she couldnt be deputy!!)

i explained as she only worked 3 sessions per week and we did 7 sessions per wk and she had a popular social life so couldnt cover shifts quite often so this would be difficult!!!!

she was also complaining about having the same number of keyworkers as other staff members who work 4/5/6 sessions per week but ha s asked for more respomisibilty without (paperwork)

i understand what she is saying but dont know whhat to suggest....any ideas........

(i already have a behaviour officer, child pro officer and inclusion officer)

Hali i'm not sure if there is more responsibility with out extra paperwork. We have some one in charge of fire drills/checks, literacy, numeracy, health and safety (there is more.) All involves more paperwork. My staff have different amounts of children in line with how many days they work. Maybe you could work with her on that issue.

Is she hinting at more pay? which seems naturel if she has been there so long, then even though the pay is fair, she may be questioning her future at the same level of pay.

She doesnt sound very consistent. on the one hand she is wanting more responsibility but on the other hand doesnt want what comes with that. She already has responsibility which she is complaining about, so this suggests she is complaining about the pay more than the job. Does that make sense?

I dont see how it matters how many children she is key worker to (is that what you meant?) if she is not having to do extra time to do the paperwork in her own time.

If it were one of my staff i would explain that i was very happy with her work but when looking for a deputy you would require someone who is more committed and flexible than she has shown its about effort and. Its not a punishment to not give her the job, she just does not possess the qualities you are looking for to support you and maybe if she really does want to be a deputy or have more responsibility then she could work on that and if a role comes up then she would be in with a chance.

Good luck, i hate letting staff down however gently and its hard to point out where they are going wrong when you think they are happy or they should realise it already. :o

Could she be feeling her long years of service are going unrecognised? And how long has your deputy been with you - longer or shorter than the lady you're talking about? Perhaps she's feeling a bit 'put out' by someone who hasn't been there as long as she has who is seen to have seniority. Has your deputy been singled out for praise recently or started a new initiative that has gone well? This may have triggered an attack of the green eyed monster...

Obviously I don't know any of the people concerned, so I can't say if this is the case (just in case you suddenly thought I had inside knowledge!).

Perhaps she just needs to feel a bit more loved and wanted - but I'd echo what was said about consistency and commitment. That does rather go with the job. Its a tricky thing to want more responsibility without having to put in extra effort!

And knowing that you're a charitable group, there's not much you can do about pay either - so if its more money she's after its a much bigger issue, isn't it? To be honest if there isn't an opening for a deputy and you have all the other 'officers' covered, any extra responsibility you give her is going to be largely cosmetic.

I wonder what's really worrying her?

Maz

i think largley it is the deputy issue when i am not there my deputy who has done the job since i have started obvioulsy takes over as supervisor the 2nd deputy (who has been with us for 3 yrs and also works every session then takes over as deputy!) i have explained to my troubled member of staff why she got the job and she seemed to be ok with it! And i agree Alison about the keyworker issue!!

have been thinking today (dont laugh) that may i could give her 'Outdoor physical co ordinator' - to manage all our outdoor activities and the garden to make it much more exciting and an inviting place to be!!!!!!

xD:(:o:(

I would agree with all of the above. Staff need to feel valued and this has to be demonstrated in some way e.g. promotion, special responsibility etc. Did she apply for a deputies posiition - if not why not? As regards keychildren. I think it is trickly for all staff to have the same number of keychildren when working different numbers of sessions.- that does suggest proportionatly more work for less reward when you think of records transfers planning parents etc.

If she's senstive - she's not going to think you've 'put her the garden' to get her out of the way is she?

Could you suggests she started thinking about a FD? - find out where her comitmment really is........... if she wants to 'move up' (even if you haven't any current vacancies!!!!).

Maybe- if she has such a social life - it's outsdie influences egging her on - rather then self motivation, after all if she's never applied, she's never really been that interested but now just possibly responding to peer pressure.

x

I can sympathise on the keyworker issue, perhaps that is something you could try to redress slightly.

As for more responsibility without the paperwork, I guess we would all want that, then who would do the paperwork? Like it or not it's part of the job.

Not sure the number of sessions a person does means they cannot be a deputy, there's always job share. I'm a deputy two days a week, my colleague is the other two, the remaining day we are joint supervisors. But I guess that's easier as we are a smallish sessional pre-school.

The important thing I think is commitment and flexibility and recognition of that!

Good luck.

sorry, i didnt mean to suggest that a job share wasnt a good thing. But from what was said it seems a few sessions and lack of flexibility is whats on offer from this member of staff.

Maybe she was just after a bit of reassurance as Maz said; the green eyed monster krept up and she felt unwanted. But i think these appraisals need to be useful and not just a paper excercise. She suggested she was capable of more, and so you have to wonder why that is not echoed in her efforts and flexibility dont you.

Outdoors is a nice and current area, but is she committed enough to see it through especially with not being there half the time? that could be her challenge to prove herself. I think she has opened up a can of worms for herself! :o

If she's senstive - she's not going to think you've 'put her the garden' to get her out of the way is she?

This was possibly a stroke of genius though: the outdoor classroom is such a key issue - especially for groups like mine (and Hali's) that meet in shared premises.

She (the member of staff) could do lots of research about how to take the curriculum outdoors and really be creative - lots of room for initiative and, if successful, praise and recognition.

You're offering her a real opportunity to make a huge difference in the way the group runs.

And as for the FD suggestion, I wonder if anyone would want to do it after witnessing the kind of two years we've just had - what do you think Hali??

Maz

:o:(:(:( maz

no she dosnt want to do a level 4 at mo never mind the Fd and personally she would not be assertive enough for deputy she would just leave it all to my deputy now, thats why i want to give her something else to get her teeth into...... xD

Sorry Deb, just wanted to explain myself, We have a part time deputy on one of our sites but she does 6 sessions out of 10 so i think thats achievable, and if someone had the right qualities then i think thats ok, but only 3 session is a bit less than part time in our place. our minimum is 4.

Personally i think it would be hard for me to be so dedicated and passionate about my job if i wasnt there most of the time.

I hope she has a good waterproof and wellies for her job, or she might complain she isnt properly equiped! :o

Have you asked her what 'responsibilities' she had in mind? What were her strengths from the appraisal, can these be 'exploited' any further? If new roles / responsibility ideas come from her then they may be more likely to succeed.

Not wanting to sound an old stick in the mud but what she does on her non working days, ie: social life, is surely not relevant. If she is contracted to 3 days work then in the ethos of work/life balance etc the focus of her role should be on the contracted hours only.

Obviously you know the 'history' etc, Hali, and I am sure you will handle the situation well. I think training is an overall issue now with the expectations of CWDC. My deputy was with me for 6 yrs and was a level 3 but she wasn't interested in gaining any higher qualifications, this was one of the considerations when I made her redundant last year, so in a sense I can empathise where you are coming from.

Hope it all ends up with a happy result.

Peggy

funny isnt it........ :(

Have just found out my once a month at uni for EYPS......is now every week..... xD

Have spoken to said member of staff to ask if she would cover me whilst out each Friday and deputise...... :o

she has said yes and is very happy.......................... :(

funny how things turn out isnt it :(

funny isnt it........ :(

Have just found out my once a month at uni for EYPS......is now every week..... xD

Have spoken to said member of staff to ask if she would cover me whilst out each Friday and deputise...... :o

she has said yes and is very happy.......................... :(

funny how things turn out isnt it :(

So can you sort out my cover for Fridays please?

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)