Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Research Project

Well, went into college today and we have been given our first piece of work to do for year 2 (and we're not even there yet!). We have to do a research project on a topic of our choice but obviously related to ealry years.

In light of recent events, I am considering researching the impact of terrorism on young children within the early years as it is a 'here and now' topic.

I was wondering whether or not this would be a good idea or whether it will be too big an issue to research? It can't be too big and it can't be too small. The other problem I have is finding literature to read around it. What do you think? Any suggestions where I could go to find out some good information?

Could I maybe do something like the effect of terrorism on children's behaviour or something like that? Or would that still be too broad? I am really interested in this and want to do something a little bit different from my college friends. Do you think I should focus on one specific area? It's in it's very early stages so I'm open to ideas!

And think about ethical considerations: your research may raise very deep emotions in both children and parents, so you'll have to consider very carefully how you can protect the children taking part, and whether parents themselves will need support to help their children come to terms with their fears and feelings.

Maz

you may need to think about

how you could find out about your topic...

how will you know the effect of terrorism on childrens behaviour,

and how will you be able to get evidence to show this....

it could be extremely hard to get evidence and document it as well as reading on this , as it is a very broad how much do you think will have been written on this already it may not be enough to complete your research..or show you have read up on it in lots of ways such as journals etc. or it may be hard to find it...know the student i mentored had problems with finding reading from many sources, even with a simpler topic on a subject she was dealing with regularly.

I ran a forces group so children did see and hear of this a lot from parents and dads who went away for months at a time and it is not a topic I would choose even with expeience of it...actually in my case did not notice much difference at all with our children but then to them it was just part of life and happened. children were very accepting and did not see it as anything different...but they had friends all going through the same.

our students were told to look for something close to home which interests you and can be researched easily, rather than a subject which may be hard to find evidence and info on and make life harder , second year can be hard enough as it is without adding to the pressure.

good luck with your choice.

Inge

Thanks for all your replies. It's a shame that there isn't much out there regarding this as I feel it would be really interesting (well, at least to me). Having read your comments, I am now thinking about maybe doing something related to things I do every day at work. I have, for example, noticed and read about boys and literacy and was thinking maybe I could go down that route. This also interests me, as well as frustrates me when I need to do observations at work on particular male children and they do not even venture into the writing area, or pick up a pencil and paper anywhere else in the nursery!

Again, this subject is quite wide and could cover many areas. What do you all think to this? Would this be more suitable? Thanks!

sounds much more suitable, as it relates to your everyday practce you would also find it useful. with nes documents coming out and being implemented like letters and sounds also topical so should be able to find lots to read, no point in making work harder than it need be.

Inge

Guest Wolfie

I think that you'll find that really interesting and, as Inge says, there's plenty of research and current debate out there for you to look into and use.

Good luck - and let us have your top tips when you've finished your project! :o

Edited by Wolfie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)