Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teaching The O'clock Times

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me with some ideas with teaching time to reception age children. We have just done lots of work on sequences, and on looking at the days of the week, day and night, Mr Wolf's week, and are now moving on to looking at the O'Clock times.

I was going to start with a shared reading book of 'My first big book of time' which shows the clock times, and ask the children to do a collage of things that tell the time. I know there are some clock faces on the interactive board which I can use, and I have some blank clock faces for worksheets. I was also going to look at their day, e.g. at 9.00 we come to school, at 12.00 we get ready for lunch. But I will be teaching this for at least two weeks, so any more ideas or useful websites that I can adapt to the interactive board would be gratefully appreciated.

many thanks.

G.

I usually start with 'Hickory Dickory Dock' and have a clock for the mouse to run up. Then we look at a clock and 'find out' that the hands are different lengths and count round all the numbers. We then talk about how to show o'clock times and I wonder if they're clever enough to show me 1 o'clock (they all have individual clock faces) and I do the 'ooh yes, that is 1 o'clock isn't it because the long hand's pointing straight up and the short hand is pointing to the 1'. In my limited experience I've found that they pick this up really quickly and can then show me other o'clock times. I always say that I think other times are too tricky for them and that tends to make them very keen to prove to me that they aren't :o .

What's the Time, Mr.Wolf?

Annie Kubler

What's the Time, Mr. Wolf?

~Colin Hawkins

I usually get the children to draw pictures of things that happen at specific times

9 O'Clock come to school

12 noon eat lunch

3 o'clock go home (I know they go at 3.15 but its close enough isnt it?)

7o'clock go to bed (maybe)

I make an Our Day display and the children paint pictures or collect photos of what they do at the different times of the day. We run through it each day once it is up and I ask them to match it to the real clock. They also make a clock face on a paper plate with red hands and we use soem of these on our display. I find that they pick up o'clock easily.

Hi Goldilocks I asked the same question myself a couple of weeks ago especially with regard the whiteboard resources.

I was nt happy with the ones I searched for on the web so i made my own, you are welcome to tweak and adapt as you want to. Its for the smartboard. The children really like it even if it isnt perfect!

I also found a lovely egg timer for use on the IWB. You can set the timer for however long you want to. I cant remember where i got it from so I would need to check with Steve whetehr or not I can add it.

Ok Ive tried to add The smartbook file but I cant add it so if you want to pm me an email address, Ill email it to you.

hello,

We did o'clock this week and all children could show me o'clock times by Thursday.

We made a large clock to start with using a cut out circle and number cards then read What's the time Mr wolf by Colin Hawkins.

I got children to make their own clocks (this was very popular) using paper plates, sticky labels that they numbered 1-12 and split pins to attach the hands.

Yesterday we made a display with the title "What's the time Mr Wolf?" and stuck up all the children's clocks along with some time labels so they can change them as they wish.

Hi Goldilocks I asked the same question myself a couple of weeks ago especially with regard the whiteboard resources.

I was nt happy with the ones I searched for on the web so i made my own, you are welcome to tweak and adapt as you want to. Its for the smartboard. The children really like it even if it isnt perfect!

I also found a lovely egg timer for use on the IWB. You can set the timer for however long you want to. I cant remember where i got it from so I would need to check with Steve whetehr or not I can add it.

Ok Ive tried to add The smartbook file but I cant add it so if you want to pm me an email address, Ill email it to you.

51701[/snapback]

Hi Mundia - Thanks for the offer, although, do you know is the smartboard the same as the Activ Primary Whiteboard (sorry, I'm a bit dim when it comes to knowing the technology I'm using! :o )

Thanks everyone, and thanks for your last post marie67uk. The clock teaching worked really well, and the children did manage to pick it up really quickly. I also linked it to the days of the week cycle and explained to them that just like Monday always follows Sunday, 1 always follows 12 (except on a digital clock), and they even seemed to understand the difference.

Thanks again everyone.

G

• 2 months later...

Hi there, i am teaching time and oclock next week, did you manage to attach the IWB resources?? Would be really interested in having a peek!

cheers

charlotte :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)