Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

September On Entry Assessment

I was wondering what people generally do in September with regard to a new intake of children. I'm going to have 23 children starting my reception class in September and was thinking about doing a more formal baseline assessment but just wondered is this what most settings do - any suggestions?

Thanks

Observational assessment is really the only way in my book - formalising it such as giving children a task doesn't tell you what the child can do, it's more likely to tell you what they can't do yet! Which doesn't help!!

Previous records are also important to help or the summative record.

Cx

most schools have phased out this kind of assessment (PIPS) and it is not considered to be best practice. We observe the children over the first 6 weeks and then arrived at a judgement of the child on entry which we back up with their transition document from their pre school setting.

Deb

I find this really interesting. I am asked to work out which band each child is within using Development Matters based on observation over the first 4 weeks. I don't often get much useful data from the places children have been to before me (don't get offended anyone - I just don't get much data) and I find it really hard to get enough observational evidence in this time.

I then end up with a problem because at the end of the year I'm assessing using EYFSP and being asked to show progress from DM age bands to that and it doesn't make sense!

Don't try to match the systems - match the point on the journey the child was at and relate this to expected attainment vs actual attainment. Both EYFS and EYFSP can be interpreted in this way which makes it easier to compare.

CX

I was wondering what people generally do in September with regard to a new intake of children. I'm going to have 23 children starting my reception class in September and was thinking about doing a more formal baseline assessment but just wondered is this what most settings do - any suggestions?

Thanks

We actually just use the EYPS to give us a starting point for new children within the first 6 weeks and then measure progress at three points across the year which give us progress. We use this data to track how individuals are progressing and to target those most in need.

We found Development matters is too broad at the higher age range to have a 20 month spread is not very useful. There is just too much in it.

Observational assessment is really the only way in my book - formalising it such as giving children a task doesn't tell you what the child can do, it's more likely to tell you what they can't do yet! Which doesn't help!!

Previous records are also important to help or the summative record.

Cx

Catma, can you tell me what you would expect the previous and/or summative record to look like? Would this be in the form of age band assessments of EYFS aspects? If so, how detailed would you expect this to be (does your LA impose any fixed requirements for record keeping on nurseries)?

most schools have phased out this kind of assessment (PIPS) and it is not considered to be best practice. We observe the children over the first 6 weeks and then arrived at a judgement of the child on entry which we back up with their transition document from their pre school setting.

Deb

Deb, likewise, is there any specific format you expect a pre-school to give you in terms of a transition document - or might it be anything from a learning journey/special book through to a formal assessment of their age bands in the areas of learning?

Don't try to match the systems - match the point on the journey the child was at and relate this to expected attainment vs actual attainment. Both EYFS and EYFSP can be interpreted in this way which makes it easier to compare.

CX

I think I understand but I'm not quite sure - would it be possible to give me an example. After trying to explain why this year's lot hadn't made the expected progress in Calculation and Writing and NLC (their low PSED scores were so significant that we spent all our time working on that!) I want to try and clarify it for myself and possibly make some changes to the way I do things in September - I have an intake much smaller than usual so it will be a good time to get some new systems in place and working properly!

Catma, can you tell me what you would expect the previous and/or summative record to look like? Would this be in the form of age band assessments of EYFS aspects? If so, how detailed would you expect this to be (does your LA impose any fixed requirements for record keeping on nurseries)?

Steve, We have a 1 page form form that asks the prior setting to indicate for each aspect (all 26) if a child is emerging or secure within the stage they are in. Some other local LAs do emerging, developing and secure, but pretty much all the LAs around us do something similar. it's not compulsory though. The form has multiple repeats of the sections so it can be passed through many settings if needed at any transitional point or from baby room to under 3s etc.

Cx

Edited by catma

I think I understand but I'm not quite sure - would it be possible to give me an example. After trying to explain why this year's lot hadn't made the expected progress in Calculation and Writing and NLC (their low PSED scores were so significant that we spent all our time working on that!) I want to try and clarify it for myself and possibly make some changes to the way I do things in September - I have an intake much smaller than usual so it will be a good time to get some new systems in place and working properly!

There is a developmental match between the ages and stages and the EYFSP outcomes - it's the meaning not the numbers that matter.

So - a child enters nursery at 3 just emerging at 22 - 36 in KUW. At 36 months they would be expected to be securing this band or even emerging into 30 - 50 so they are below expectations. They then enter reception just emerging into 30 - 50. Their attainment is still low and the progress would be satisfactory. In effect they've made the right distance but at a lower level. However in reception they get a spurt and come out with 6+ as a total. This means they are working within the ELGs for that area. That would be the same as saying they are working securely at 40 - 60+ or where we would want most children to be. So now their attainment is in line with expectations but their journey is far greater to get there compared to others so their progress in KUW is good at least.

Cx

Steve, We have a 1 page form form that asks the prior setting to indicate for each aspect (all 26) if a child is emerging or secure within the stage they are in. Some other local LAs do emerging, developing and secure, but pretty much all the LAs around us do something similar. it's not compulsory though. The form has multiple repeats of the sections so it can be passed through many settings if needed at any transitional point or from baby room to under 3s etc.

Cx

We have something similar, which indicates the secure/emerging in the stage, and says what might be done next with support. This (the document) was done in consultation with pre schools who trialled it, and schools who were receiving them. Most settings use them although they aren't compulsory, and they are also used when children move on to other settings, so not just for transition to school. Most of our neighbouring LAs have something similar.

• 3 weeks later...

In reply to Steve-

in my local authority (Gloucestershire) all pre school settings are required to fill in the same transition document to schools which links the age bands to profile points. Their nursery funding is linked in with this requirement.

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=99435

all children arrive with me therefore with the same document and sometimes 2 or 3 if they have been to more than 1 setting which is really helpful. I use this as evidence to back up what I have observed once they get to school. My experience so far has been that the records from the settings that feed us are pretty much spot on.

Deb

Edited by busybeedeb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)