Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Funny Things Children Say

I've just had a lovely day with a few of my Reception children. As we are learning about harvest this week, we had flour, sieves, wooden spoons, funnels, baking tins etc in the water tray (without water). I was observing a group of four children having a thoroughly great time, when one said to the others: 'you can be in charge of the lumps, and i will do the shivering' Ahh how lovely!!!

Those are the times when you can't help but smile :):):):):):):)

My own son has just started the Reception Class. We had asked him if he enjoyed playing on the grass at playtime, he said that the teachers had told him that they couldn't go on the grass and he must lock it into his brain. A little while later we thought that we would try this and asked him to lock something in his brain, as he turned the key he said very sadly 'Oh no! The grass fell out!'

• Like 1

Oh, What a shame, hope there is a good reason. Last week a new 3 year old kept crashing his bike into the wall, other bikes and children. I kept reminding him that we dont do that for various reasons (blah blah) The last time I asked him not to crash the bike he looked me straight in the eye and said ' Do you know, not many people like you'. Well.... :o

• Like 1

I went looking for one of my new Reception class children today in the painting area (second day in) - couldn't find him so ask a support assistant if she had seen him. "He's in the bathroom with the Nursery Nurse ... having a wash." "Is he alright?" "Well yes ... the nursery nurse just asked him to paint his face ... so he did :o "

Harricroft.

Oh brilliant :(:(

That reminds me of when my youngest son was about 2yrs old. The fence between our garden and the neighbours had a hole, my children and the neighbours were always in each others gardens, but one day I couldnt find my youngest anywhere. I saw the neighbours 4yr old in his garden and asked if he'd seen Richard. He shook his head and dashed to his house. I was suspicious, and went through the fence, down their garden to the shed...where I found my son. The 4 year old had painted his face, neck and arms with white emulsion. :( What a sight!! :o And what I struggle I had to wash it off, (he suffered from really awful exzema) I was livid and silently blamed the parents. Years later, while reminising with the neighbours son, I found out my oldest son had helped!! :wacko: xD

• Like 1

Oh brilliant harricroft... :oxD:(

When my two shared a room..my son 4 and his sister 18mth old.. i went in at bedtime to chk them and found my sweet little daughter fast asleep with stickers stuck to the whole of her face.....

my son also looking inocent fast asleep still had the sticker paper clutched in his hand ......ummm i wonder who did it..not me he inocently said the next morning!!!

Im sure i have piccy somwhere in the loft... if i come across it will post it on here :(:(

We had a visitor showing the children a sheeps fleece. She showed the children the proceess of carding, spinning on a real spinning wheel and the jumpers she had knitted. As she picked the fleece up to show the children one little boy said 'Oh, yes, that sheep hasn't been builded yet!'

We have problems with the heating and a plumber came in and one of the little boys said 'That man has a circle on the top of his head with no hair in it' The chap didn't hear him - but I was very proud of the little boy - he now knows what a circle is!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Sue J

These are so great!

I had a super one from my two year old yesterday. I was insisting that she let me put a nappy on her as we were going out. She hates getting dressed, and glared at me, her hands on her hips, and said in a really bossy tone, "Mummy, O-U-T spells 'NO'!"

I got up really late this morning, scrapped my hair back in a very unflattering way and raced to work. One beautiful little girl looked me up and down (twice) and said 'what DO you look like?' (Must try harder) :o

Whilst lining up for lunch a child was pulling at her dress and said " My bum must be hungry it's trying to eat my knickers" very Piaget, don't you think - animism

( that thong sort of feeling I imagine!)

Peggy

I was laughing with a parent the other day about the way children mispronounce words and Im sure there could be a book written about all the different ways children pronounce words my daughter could never get her "m"s or "b"s right

mostache became budash

binoculars where munoculars

cathedral was thickedral

umberella became ungabella

guitar was dicar

the list could go on and on.....

sometimes I think the worst thing is when children feel that compulsion to be totally honest like when they argue about being 5 when you really wish they wouldnt,

stood in a queue at the local sea life centre

you can imagine the conversation with the person behind the counter

"do under fives go free?"

"yes madame" then all of a sudden a little voice is heard

"Im five!" :D

"no your not!?!?!?" :(

"yes I am" :D

"no your four" :(

"no Im five!" :(

"sssssssssshhhhh" :o

"BUT I AM FIVE!" xD

"ok ......ground open up and swallow me now!!!!

:wacko:

Great Alison.

I love those moments. We had harvest festival this week in school. We were in the middle of the lord's prayer (which my Reception class were repeating very loudly) when one child say even louder to his friend "I brought those pasta things in, what did you bring in?"

Everyone giggled (even the vicar)

• 2 months later...

At our christmas party this morning while talking about things we'd like off father christmas a little girl whispered to me that she wants to be a man so she's using daddy's toothbrush. :o:D

But her brother wants a lamp post because he likes to climb. xD:D

two boys in my reception class had been splashing each other in the water, so I told them I would like them to come out of the water and choose another activity. They chose to go into the house - knowing these boys I asked them what they were going to play in the house (to prevent them just dragging everything from the cupboards) They said mums and dads and assigned roles of 'mum' and 'dad' to each other. I asked them what they were going to do and surprise surprise mum was going to cook the tea! When i asked the 'dad' what he was going to do he shrugged his shoulders. So i asked him what his dad does in their house and, I quote, :D he said "He just sits on his arse and smokes all day!" :D:D

My 3 year old sometimes mispronounces words that begin with the letter "s", and replaces it with "f" . e.g "fausages"

Well... one of the nursery nurses in her school is called Mrs Smart. :D She totally drops the m and the NN is known as Mrs fart. How embarassing, especially when she told grandma today that she has a present for Mrs Fart. :o

Love that, Tracy!!

One of my little darlings at the party on Friday, when the Director arrived dressed as Santa said "You're not Santa, you're Ian!!" I should say that my DN is very informal, the Directors are on first name terms with the staff and children, and the children often suggest new practice/acquisitions!!

Yes, you're right, it's a terrific place to work!!! :D:D

Sue :D

• 2 months later...

For my lunch today I took some raw carrot. A little boy said to me "I like raw carrot, my mum says that if you eat carrot you can see in the dark" To which a girl said "I don't like carrots". The boy again replied "My mum says if you eat them you can see in the dark" . The girl then said "I wouldn't bother with them - I'd get a torch so I could see in the dark!!!) :D:D:D:D:o

Sue J

My last day at work today (quite a trauma, love the children, love the job, just the management I have a problem with!!!!)

One mother came in with a really lovely card that her son had made for me. It was a collage space alien, he loved the topic I did about space and has been looking at the moon and stars ever since.

Anyway, I digress!!!!

The child asked his Mum to draw a heart in the card, which she did. She said "Do you want to copy it?" at which point he took the card and "coughed" on it!!!!

Not exactly what they say but hey, I will always keep my phlem covered card!!!!

Some of our girls were playing in the home corner this morning. One of them told a member of staff that she "wasn't very well in real life"!! I assume this was so she understood that she wasn't just pretending as she was in the house.

Linda

• 1 month later...

Scenario: Ben age 3( my grandson), at home, mum's in the bedroom.

Someone knocks on the front door ( has a glass panel)

Ben ( running to the bedroom) "Mum, Mum, there's someone at the door, I don't know who it is.....at the top of his voice... STRANGER DANGER, STRANGER DANGER" (Now where did he get that from :o )

doesn't matter but mum's very proud :D

Peggy

When I was heavily pregnant this time last year I was so fed up with wearing the same old thing I thought I would drag out a dress that I had worn with my first pregnancy 7 years ago - big mistake! I thought it looked 'okish' and my daughter who was in my class also said it looked ok so on it went. The children came into the class that morning and just as the class was filling up with children and parents one of the girls shouted across the room in a rather loud voice, "Mrs P I like your dress you look like one of those Victorian ladies! Well I nearly died of embarrassment - the parents didn't know where to look and I had to spend the rest of the day feeling like 'one of those Victorian ladies'. I hasten to add the dress has now gone to the charity shop!!!

Scenario: Ben age 3( my grandson), at home, mum's in the bedroom.

Someone knocks on the front door ( has a glass panel)

Ben ( running to the bedroom) "Mum, Mum, there's someone at the door, I don't know who it is.....at the top of his voice... STRANGER DANGER, STRANGER DANGER" (Now where did he get that from :o )

doesn't matter but mum's very proud :D

Peggy

29780[/snapback]

Aww fantastic! Not surprised you are proud of him! We had a good one today.

One of the kids in my class wasn't feeling well so the TA got the thermometer out to check her temp as we've got a bug going around atm and it starts with a stomach ache and temp. Anyway, she was inbetween 2 on the scale, so 2 bits were coloured in. One of my very nosey reception kids turns to the TA and says awww is Natasha 2 miles too hot?! xD:(

Overheard at the gym yesterday......... little girl all ready for a swim in her cozzy and armbands, turned to another lady and said which pond are you going in?'

:D:D

We have a shoe shop in the role play area this week. I was observing a boy playing in this area. "what beautiful shoes" I say "Are they new?"

"yes said the child.

"when did you buy them?"

"tomorrow" he said decisively

My favourite was when I was being observed by a tutor. One little girl chose to throw her apron on the floor from a great distance. keen to look 'in control' I asked Courtney to pick it up and hang it on the peg. A little boy from the corner of the room with a broad nottingham accent shouts "teacher, teacher it's not Courtney it's Courtne!!" My Nottingham slang was obviously not up to scratch!

On Thursday one little girl asked me where Alistair was.

My friend and colleague Alison has been away on holiday all week.

She'll always be Alistair to me...

Maz