Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Food Resource For Play.

We have just been told we can not use soap flakes, shaving foam, or any food for play.

Has any one got ideas of what we could do as i am running out of ideas.

thank you

I have known of a manager at a setting taking this stance with the excuse that it was because of allergies the children may have I personally feel this is taking things a bit far and abviously if a child had allergies you would ensure those ingredients where not used in play that day!!

I work for a large company and i think it is something they have said while they look in to health and safety issues i think.

The staff of course are not impressed. they can have playdough but it has to be fresh each day.

whats the world coming to!

I have worked in a setting (private day nursery) where the manager refused to allow ANY sensory activties for the babies, only allowing minimal activities for the toddlers. It makes things so much more difficult and really takes away from the children all those rich learning experiences.

If it is a health and safety matter, would a risk assessment not cover things? I would have thought that as long as the staff are aware as to the possibilties of allergies and are taking measures to ensure that the children are not at risk that this would be ok??

Seems highly strange to me and no wonder you are running out of ideas! I don't know what we would do if we were not allowed to use food based things or things such as hair mousse/gel, shaving foam etc for children to explore!

you would have thought that a risk assessment would be enough but it sure is a pain at the mo.

Also while chatting to you guys does any one have some good examples of under two displays? I'm too used to working with the 3-5 children and need a little inspiration. I have looked at gills in the gallery and these have been useful.

• 2 weeks later...

Ethically there are issues around using food which is a precious commodity in many areas of the world for 'play'-not trying to play devils advocate just balancing the debate.

Can we teach children the 'value' of having the benefit of easy access to food when they mess, play around with it and then it is thrown away?Does it fit with 'eating what you touch' and the many other messages we give children at snack time or meal times?

I love using textile experiences with children but its always something I'm conscience of and try to 'balance' when using food for educating.

Edited by Guest

Not quite food, but we use maize for our children. Yes it is food for animals, and I suppose us ultimately........ children love it. Also use organic wheat. At the moment we have rice, some of which I have coloured. Would these ideas be acceptable????

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)