Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chicken Pox.. Member Of Staff...

hi there..

would just like to pick someones brains.. not literally!! I am a nursery nure within a school and have been signed off by the doctors for a week with chicken pox yesterday. when i took my sick note to my head she looked at the illness guideline chart thing and said we'll see you monday then.. I'm not too sure what i should do.. the doctor told me not to go back to work until all the spots have crusted over.. last night i had more spots appear.. feel like a popcorn machine!

so relly was just wondering if any of you are aware of the policy/ procedure with chicken pox and whether i should follow what the doctor has said or what the head demands?!

your thoughts would be gratefully received! x

Guest Wolfie

I would go by what the doctor said - you shouldn't go back until the last spot has crusted over and all the spots are dried up. If that hasn't happened by Monday then you shouldn't go back.

I hope you're not feeling too poorly - I had chicken pox as an adult and I know it's not much fun! :o

I would go by what the doctor said - you shouldn't go back until the last spot has crusted over and all the spots are dried up. If that hasn't happened by Monday then you shouldn't go back.

I hope you're not feeling too poorly - I had chicken pox as an adult and I know it's not much fun! :o

ahh thanks :) luckily im not feeling too bad.. when i think how ive felt over the past week or so it was last monday i had bad fever and have had a nasty cough.. there was me thinking they were just bad bites! hmm we'll see what happens then.. my heads a bit of a dragon! haha

The spots tend to crust over pretty quickly - Monday is still 4 days away so they might all be okay by then. Just wait and see and if they haven't then ring and say. :o

What date did your doctor put on your certificate or are you self certificating?

You cant work if you have been signed off.

I always understood it was 5 days after the last spot appeared.

Dont go back if you are unwell and dont underestimate chicken pox, it can be very nasty and there can be nasty side effects. There is also a risk to others who may be on steriods.

Your doctor is the medical expert here not your head and you know how you feel. Get more advice if you need it.

Guest Wolfie

There's also a risk to pregnant women come to think of it - so you should definitely not go back until completely clear!

hi everyone. thanks so much for your kind messages.. rung the doctors today to ask their view because i've had a few more outbreaks today! they said my note specifically says im still infectious until all the spots have crusted over. Bearing in mind have had more come up today they said ring school and let them know ive been advised to stay off until they've crusted over! ah its such an awful feeling ringing up! hate it Also the the head seems to think they arent chicken pox.. hmm think ill listen to the docs! have a great weekend everyone :) xx

I hope you are feeling better and not letting your very demanding Head get you down. Maybe you should take a special trip in to see her, as when she catches them will they still not be chicken pox?

We have just been through an outbreak in our setting and amazingly parents where saying things like "touch wood, my ,,,, hasnt had them" and they are 10-13 yrs old and we have said it would be better to expose them to it now, than not and watch them get it as adults, or as parents. Imagine not being able to comfort your child because you had not had them!

ahh finally returned to school yesterday( aday before the doctors note stated) but felt a lot better and rather guilty!! luckily didnt get too many spots and theyre all healing nicely now! lets just hope they fade before my holiday in 3 weeks!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)