Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Entertainment

Hi

I have been given posters and dvds from one of our parents they are about animals, sea creatures and planets. She collected them all from one of the newspapers. The dvds are an excellent source of information and although i am anti tv in the setting i think i could use them. My idea is to play them on the computer as part of an interest table with information and story books and various related objects. The problm is i think i will need some sort of license to show them. Does anyone have any knowledge of this area.

Thank you

I know there was talk of a entertainment license needed to play certain cd's and dvd's. I do not know your circumstances but if you are based on a shared site for example a college, hospital, or children's centre attached to a school check with them they may already have a license that would cover the whole site. This is the case with a couple of nurserys I know. Shelley :o

Guest Wolfie

It's the Performing Rights Society that you need to contact - I'm sure that they've got a website and I would spend time finding out exactly whether or not you DO need a licence before contacting them directly, it's quite expensive and you don't want to pay out unnecessarily. They're more interested in much bigger venues than nurseries.

I am not on a shared site so we would be responsible. I had heard it's quite expensive just wasn't sure if we needed it. Thank you both i will do some more research.

I seem to remember reading that if you can show the DVD is being used for an educational purpose you dont need a licience. My son's school has shown films in the past and claimed Braveheart was for a history lesson, while showing it at the end of term. :o

Hi Lou and welcome from me too.

I would make absolutely sure you don't need a licence beforehand if I were you-and I am almost certain you will. I know schools claim that films are for history lessons etc. which is probably manipulating the facts somewhat. I think it depends on the dvds-you may get away with those from the newspapers-have a look on them and see if there are any conditions of use.

I have had letters in the past explaining the ins and outs of it all-its about £2 per child per year. That can work out quite expensive if you only watch them occasionally.

Linda

Hi Lou this has been previously discussed

have a look HERE

Don't miss page 2 Rea's post, very informative re legislation.

Peggy

PS. I think it is a great idea to use video extracts to support an interest table.

Thank you everyone. I will look into it because the content of the dvds is so good it's worth following up. I dont think the children will sit and watch the whole dvd (they are quite long) if they do i will limit the time i play it. I watched one on living with gorillas and i know the children would love to see how they live in there own environment. I will put my sherlock hat on and search for information. Thanks for the link peggy going to look at it now

Just to update everyone.

We phoned the newspaper concerned and they gave us permission to use the dvd's in the setting. They would give us written permission but it would take a long time for the information to be returned. We have made a record of the person's name and two members of staff have signed it.

So i can now have my interest table. I just need to make my mind up which one to use first. After the storm the other night i think it may be weather.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)