Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do I Tell Head He's Got It Wrong?

Hope someone can reassure me. I'm returning to work after a long illness on a phased return and the head said I had to carry on sending sick notes in during this time so that he will be paid for extra cover. However, personnel have told me that I have to be signed off to carry out my duties and he'll get paid for cover because I'm teaching staff . My doctor is willing to sign me off but how do I approach the head to tell him he's wrong?

hi Kermit

What a difficult one could personnel not communicate the situation to the head if not maybe you could approach it by saying that you had been told this by personal and would he mind giving them a call to clarify this is correct at least that way he can confirm the correct procedure with personnel. Good luck Shelley

Hi kermit 21.I think ninafox is absolutely right in suggesting that he contact personnel.You could say that you had phoned personnel about other issues regarding your return to work and just checked this out at the same time. It seems he will get paid for cover so he doesn't have a problem. Not sure if you are yet back in school but always much easier to address these kind of things on the phone. You certainly don't need to be worrying about things when you are just 'getting back on your feet.' You could also give your union a ring too. Am so glad you are feeling better. Keep getting well! luluj

Hi kermit, sorry to hear you have been unwell. Hope your return to work will go smoothly.

You can not go to work if you are signed off as you are uninsured in those circumstances.

You are lucky you are being allowed a phased return, I wasnt when I was ill so unsure of any other proceedures but I do know I was told I could not go in with a sick note.

Take care.

log this with your union first to cover yourself. They will probably be able to intermediate on your behalf anyway.

a phased return is part of an agreed return to work process usual after a long period off work. (I had one) You are fit for work but this is to allow you to get back in the swing without causing unnecessary stress so that your return is smooth. You are not sick as you are returning to work and probably your GP will have to sign you back as fit for duty. So you can't be "sick" on the days when you are not working! You are not in school those days in agreement with the HT/personnel etc. I am presuming you have had a joint meeting about this to agree how it will run. Do you have a review meeting at the end of the return to work period?

Is this because your school has insurance paying your cover costs? As soon as you come back to work the insurance stops paying I'm sure so HT is probably trying to keep money for you coming in by keeping you "signed off". Not possible if you are on site fulfiling agreed days and duties I would argue.

Good luck - and stick to the return plan to the letter. It's there for your benefit, not the schools!!

Hope someone can reassure me. I'm returning to work after a long illness on a phased return and the head said I had to carry on sending sick notes in during this time so that he will be paid for extra cover. However, personnel have told me that I have to be signed off to carry out my duties and he'll get paid for cover because I'm teaching staff . My doctor is willing to sign me off but how do I approach the head to tell him he's wrong?

Hi Kermit

Sorry to hear you have been unwell....and welcome back!

As a head, I would always prefer staff to come and talk quietly with me if I've made a mistake. We all make mistakes sometimes and there's no shame in admitting it!

However, if you prefer to leave it 'one step removed' then I agree with going with the personnel approach.

I hope you get it sorted; you really don't need any more hassles

AB

Thanks for the advice, I have decided to ring the head and do feel nervous but if I leave it I'll build it up more into something bigger and as it's been stress I've been off with then that won't do me any good at all. I am going to have weekly reviews to build up hours Catma and you're right he is getting insurance for me at the moment so I can understand his worries if it doesn't work out. Thanks Ann for your feedback it's useful to know what a head's point of view is. I'll let you all know how I get on.

You should have been refered to occupational health and between them and human resources a phased return should be negotiated with your HT. If this hasn't happened someone somewhere has been negligent. Ask for a referral to OH, which your HT should have organised, and take it from there.

Absolutely - the last thing management/LA will want is for you to suffer more stress which has been caused directly by the manner in which your return to work is handled. They would have a problem then!!!

OH can be very supportive and helpful - I got a lot of backing from them, they did a work place review and came and looked at my job (DH for an inner city primary) and couldn't understand why I hadn't been ill a lot sooner!!!!!

Cx

Thanks everyone -It went ok with head and doc is going to sign me off before I return. Head acknowledged the mistake and was fine about it. There's been no mention of OH yet though but I presume they will be in touch soon.