Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Notifiable Disease

We heard today that a colleague has been taken ill with a notifiable disease. What does this actually mean? Is it just something thats contagious so we should we alert for the children becoming ill, or will the parents need to be informed? Im sure Ive read about it here before but cant find it now. Is it serious?

from what I can remember you need to get in touch with the local area community physian via your local NHS ther are very helpfull and will adcvise you about notifying parents e.t.c. (we had a scary do with meningitis) and they where really good. Hope all goes well. Shelley

I too remember reading it but cannit find it, i know ther is a list of diseases and illnesses that you have to notify to Ofsted if you have in the setting...but can i find it? but it would be a safer to ring them and report it,

perhaps some other clever soul will be able to find it.

Inge

I have since heard that she has meningitis, we were not told this before. Its very scary, she was at school yesterday.

She shares my class with me, what do I tell the children?

Beebot, I am sure you would have been given medical advice if it were necessary, these things are not left to chance, they are notifiable so that appropriate measures can be taken to safeguard any one who may be at risk.

You tell the children that the other person is ill, if they ask, they do not need to know any other details and nor do the parents unless your head is given advice to do so and that would be his/her remit.

I hope your colleague gets well soon. It must be a worrying time for all of you to know a colleague is ill.

yes it is quite worrying, we are all very concerned. She was feeling unwell for a few days bu this came about very sudden from what we can gather.

I know I don't have to do anything, I was more worried that gossip spreads very quickly at school as we have staff who are also parents and I wasn't sure how to handle the possibility of parents saying 'I heard so and so has meningitis' and than panicking that their child might have been at risk. I'm a new teacher and I wasn't sure how to proceed if I am asked.

Thats a reasonable concern beebot. I am sure we would all be uncertain at a time like this. Dont fuel the gossip, direct any one with concerns to your SMT unless you are told how to handle this more specifically. I am sure that if the situation arises you will be able to reassure people that although your colleague is ill the situation is under control without telling anyone any specific details. Have you not been given guidelines already?