Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Question Table

Guest AllyB

Guest AllyB

I've heard about a preschool idea called a question table where there is a new question everyday and the children and parents are encouraged to answer the question such as Did you walk to nursery today? ...has anybody else heard of it or was i dreaming it??? Does anybody use one and does it work?

Hi, yes I've heard of something like this but have not seen it or tried to implement it. Sounds good though.

I've a feeling it might have been a way of self registering that the children responded to, putting their names in the correct box to answer the question. :o

Susan

Sounds like a really good idea. We have a self registering system which is named photos of the children and they put these into 'pockets'. They don't always remember though and some of the parents can't be bothered with it! I had thought I needed to change it to make it more appealing - perhaps this could be a way forward. Let me know if you have a brain wave Hali!! :D

I have been reading these posts for a few days and the penny didn't drop till today. We use this method of self registering. I have written and laminated a welcome poster i.e Good Morning everyone. :

Today is (monday) It is (raining)

Please put your name in the box( with the red circle on it)

I have 2 plain boxes each with a slit in the top. The slit must be quite narrow or the children cheat and look inside to follow, but does it really matter. I have stuck velcro on the front of each box. I have cut out and laminated shapes, numbers ,letters coloured items,fruitsetc The list is endless.We adapt it to suit the theme/learning area,or to help any child that is having difficulty in a certain area. A few weeks ago we had a group of children that brought in Noddy dolls to "Show and Tell."I asked the children if they thought Noddy was a boy or girl . So we used this question for our registration activity.We asked the children to help us count the names in the boxes.Interestingly most children thought Noddy was female.Obviously parents/carers have to read out the instruction and this is a way of showing them what their child can learn through play.

What a great idea bubblejack. Our children collect their names each morning and put them in another wallet but that would really get them involved. It also might encourage parents to involve their children more-one or two of ours just grab the card for them and move it. Will have to put this one to staff and see what they think!

Linda

Sounds great bubblejack!

I'm pretty sure it was something like that that I heard about.

If you're trying to stimulate thinking skills and use open-ended questions, it wouldn't matter if the children could see into the "answer boxes" and you could use sorting hoops or something similar, couldn't you? Perhaps more suited to older children. I shall give this some thought too!

Susan

Hey!!

This is a really great idea - something for me to work on while I languish on my crutches! If I come up with anything else, will post it, bubblejack's seems to cover everything tho' :o

Thanks all!

Sue :D