Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help needed!

Hello lovely people of the FSF!

I was talking to my dad on the phone last night and he's planning a 3-4 day trip somewhere in the UK for my parent's pearl wedding anniversary this August (27th)

He asked me if I knew any good websites to book somewhere or any good recommendations of where to go. The only things I know about where they want to go is not London (they went there for their honeymoon and my dad sees it as a work place, even though I tried to pursuade him otherwise) it's for 3-4 days, they live in West Yorkshire so not Yorkshire Dales/Peak District (too close to home) or Shropshire as they have land there and are building their new house there.

My parents, I think, would prefer somewhere more to the country than city, but maybe somewhere they could go and visit places etc.

Can anyone offer any ideas?

in advance!

Nich

xx

Hi

How about Norfolk. Norwich is a beautiful city and the scenery on the North Norfolk Coast is lovely. (lots of lovely pubs there that do good food and B and :o.

Then there are the Norfolk Broads as well.

Bit of a contrast from the scenery in Yorkshire and Derbyshire. (WE go up there to find the hills).

Glen

Snowdonia For mountains

or

Cornwall, or devon for a beach / coastal area, North Devon coast is more dramatic than the south which is more 'beachy' Have Dartmoor, and Exeter to south or Exmooor to North.

Inge

Edinburgh is fabulous, but what about a short break somewhere in europe??I recently went to Barcelona and it's a wonderful city, clean, cheap, they speak English well, taxis etc are incredibly cheap,and the architecture is simply astonishing, it truly is, tell them I said they should go there!!

Edinburgh is fabulous, but what about a short break somewhere in europe??I recently went to Barcelona and it's a wonderful city, clean, cheap, they speak English well, taxis etc are incredibly cheap,and the architecture is simply astonishing, it truly is, tell them I said they should go there!!

My mum and dad don't want to go abroad. They've only been abroad once since I've been alive and that was 5 years ago for their silver anniversary and that was to Norway.

Will add Edinburgh to the list though.

Thanks everyone else too. Some of those places are places we used to go to when I was a little girl.

The Lake District is just the best place- but perhaps a little too near home. I love the far north of Scotland. The Costswolds is lovely and they could go to Stratford. Cornwall is beautiful and the Eden Project well worth a visit.

Guest Wolfie

I agree with Glen - the North Norfolk coast is beautiful - and so is the Suffolk coast and countryside, lots of beautiful little villages to explore. I've never been but everyone says Southwold is the place to go in Suffolk.

Well, Nich, if they decide on Norfolk, then i would heartily recommend the Windmill at Cley-next-the -Sea.

We went there for our silver wedding, we had the top room, the one with the 'balcony' thing all around the windmill, and it was great!! Really comfortable and friendly. You eat in a 'family' arrangement, which is actually really interesting as there are only a few other people staying at any one time.

There are places to go and (if they like that sort of thing, which we do) you can walk for miles along the beach at low tide to see the seal colony. My husband left a lovely message in foot high letters on the wet sand marking the occasion xD - a rare occurrence for him, so all the more precious!

If you think they might be interested, I've still got details, I'm sure - or a Google search would probably find it.

Otherwise I'd go along with just about everything else mentioned - and most certainly Eden is worth a visit!

Sue x

PS, I'm off to the Cotswolds on Thurs - going to see 'King Lear' at Stratford, a certain Mr McKellen is appearing, I understand. :o

Guest Wolfie

I can't believe we all go to the same places....we too are big fans of Cley in Norfolk, along with Wells, Blakeney and Sheringham - loads of very happy childhood memories of that stretch of coast, it really takes some beating! :o

I think practically the whole country has been mentioned!! For me it would be Northumbria-beautiful, clean, empty beaches, lots of history, Lindisfarne, the Farne Islands with all the wildlife and stunning countryside.

Linda

Oooh, I'd go along with Northumbria. I went there for the first time last year and stayed in Morpeth (one of the Landmark Trust Castles) and although it was out of season, there was still loads to do...Hadrian's wall, Corbridge (and other sites), Bamburgh Castle, Lindisfarne, Alnick, Newcastle.

We're planning on Devon and Cornwall this year as it has been years since I went there.

Kent is another place with lots to do, although it's a fair trek from Yorkshire! Dover, Margate, Manston, Chatham, Rochester, Canterbury - lots of 'buildings' if they like that sort of thing?

• mattbtest changed the title to Help needed!