Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Problem Solving

Hi,

I'm trying to collect as many problem solving activity ideas as i can to share with my team - its an area we don't feel is being addressed enough. We cater for children between 2.5 to 5.

Thx

Nursery world had problem solving article - 24-5-07.

ideas included

* children do a stock take in an area of the setting - provide clipboards

* decorating the home corner

* tray of assorted animals - 5 of each type, with one missing - ask for suggestions on how to find out which one is missing

* share food e.g. 6 biscuits between 2 bears. add a third teddy

* construction - make a lidded box to hold 10 marbles.

* shop play

the frozen teddy one I got from the forum is good,

extend with ice on how to keep it solid, how to melt quickly, make back to ice etc

tent making..our children spent hours on this one (it keeps falling over or pegs pop off the chairs they use etc)

Tubing and water, we use guttering outside of different lenghts how to get water from a to b sucessfully.

move a puddle (i think I got his from Peggy)

dry sand and buckets and spades - how long does it take them to realise they need water to make it work?

You will find they are doing this all the time while playing in different ways.

Inge

We have a very 'naughty' monkey soft toy who got stuck up a tree and the children had to work out the best way to get him down.

We have also done things like how can we move a heavy box full of equipment from one place to another? and moved water around the outdoor area with guttering and drainpipes to water the plants.

reading Marions remined me that last week our children spent agres trying to work out how to reach a snail at the top of the fence (6ft ) and get it down withiout hurting it... 3 days later and it was still there not moved and still trying,

as it is on a slope the climbing on bikes etc didnt work they just rolled down the hill, they had so many ideas, none worked ,eventually one child asked one of us to get it for them! genius!

Inge

A good one we use is we have 3 drinks of juice and 3 teddies and 2 straws. We tell them the teddies can only drink through straws - how can they all have a drink? We provide a basket of objects incl. other toys, paper, scissors and see if children can work out what to do - some very interesting results I can tell you!

Loved all of these suggestions!

Sometimes the best opportunities are the unplanned ones. We've recently had an electrician in to replace sockets/sort the wiring etc. We went to plug in our CD player for our Sticky Kids session only to find the socket had been removed altogether!

"Oh whatever shall I do?" prompted a hunt around the setting to find a suitable socket with lots of discussion about the amount of space we needed, would furniture need to be moved? etc.

And its amazing where children think electricity comes from!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)